Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange phone call from windows?

strange phone call from windows?

couple of questions if any of you may be able to help in relation to my computer.

The first is i have just received a strange phone call from someone who asked said they were calling from windows and that my computer had a virus and they were going to go help me get rid of it. I asked them to say who they were calling from again but they just kept repeating im calling from windows and didnt add anything else ( i was struggling with what she was saying) I then asked how he knew that my computer had a virus and again got no coherant answer. I never turned my computer on or did anything she was asking me and after asking her for what felt like th emillionth what the company was called she hung up.

The second question is that since this morning i keep getting a box in the corner in the form of anti virus called PC power Speed which tells me my computer is infected. I want to know how i can get rid of this without clicking on it as i feel that it will infect my computer if i do!

Thanks.

Katy

Your computer is not infected... I got these calls on a regular basis.. was the person Indian? if yes, ignore them.. they ring every month or so saying "Your computer is infected, you need it fixed now blah blah"... I asked if it became infected by going on the internet and when they said yes, i told them I wasn't on the internet, my machine is not and never was connected to the internet so how could this be... they told me they know

What they do is get you to open up a log file, this give every error on your machine, I mean every error, but are not harmless or in any way infects your machine.. you panic on this and then they get you to go to their site and scam you... it is everywhere..

Just google pconline care scammers and there is page upon pages of this.. From the off set.. Windows never cold call people for customer care

Hope this helps
    Super Mod

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Katy (01-09-2011), Perdita (01-09-2011)

Thanks Siobhan! and yes it was an indian lady.

This is probably one of the best things I have seen happening with these people (there 3 of them but part one is the funniest)

Super Mod

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

parkerman (01-09-2011)

I was just talking to my son about this and he told me he had a similar phone call a couple of weeks ago from an Indian gentleman saying he was from "Windows". My son, who is a bit of a computer expert, asked him what the problem was and then asked him a couple of technical questions. The replies he got were just nonsense but sounded good. After he'd had enough of playing with him, my son said, "Oh by the way, I am a Microsoft Engineer". There was a hurried click at the other end of the line as the call was abruptly terminated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Katy (03-09-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    "Oh by the way, I am a Microsoft Engineer". There was a hurried click at the other end of the line as the call was abruptly terminated.
    An excellent response which reminds me of a good way to get rid of Jehovahs Witnesses at your door. Just come on in as the Revd. X is hear and Im sure he would just love to discuss matters with you.

(Apologies to any JWs on here)

I had an unwanted cold phone call last week. The conversation went like this:

Caller: Hello, is that Mr Jacobs?
    Me: Yes.
    Caller: Hello, I'm calling on behalf of the Solar Energy Power Company. How are you today?
    Me: I'm very well thank you. How are you?
    Caller: Me?
    Me: Yes, how are you?
    Caller: Oh, I'm very well, thank you. Thank you for asking.
    Me: That's ok. I'm just glad to hear you are well. Have you been on holiday yet?
    Caller: What?
    Me; Have you been on holiday yet?
    Caller: No, not yet.
    Me: Are you having a holiday this year?
    Caller: Er...yes.
    Me: Where are you going?
    Caller: I'm going to Cyprus.
    Me. Oh, that'll be nice. Should be better weather out there.
    Caller: Yes, I hope so.
    Me: When are you going?
    Caller: I'm going in a couple of weeks.
    Me: Oh, good. Well that's not long to wait then. Are you looking forward to it?
    Caller: Yes.
    Me; Well, I hope you have a good holiday.
    Caller: Thank you.
    Me: Anyway, I have to go now. It's been nice having this little chat. Goodbye.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Abigail (04-09-2011), Siobhan (03-09-2011)

I had an unwanted cold phone call last week. The conversation went like this:

Caller: Hello, is that Mr Jacobs?
    Me: Yes.
    Caller: Hello, I'm calling on behalf of the Solar Energy Power Company. How are you today?
    Me: I'm very well thank you. How are you?
    Caller: Me?
    Me: Yes, how are you?
    Caller: Oh, I'm very well, thank you. Thank you for asking.
    Me: That's ok. I'm just glad to hear you are well. Have you been on holiday yet?
    Caller: What?
    Me; Have you been on holiday yet?
    Caller: No, not yet.
    Me: Are you having a holiday this year?
    Caller: Er...yes.
    Me: Where are you going?
    Caller: I'm going to Cyprus.
    Me. Oh, that'll be nice. Should be better weather out there.
    Caller: Yes, I hope so.
    Me: When are you going?
    Caller: I'm going in a couple of weeks.
    Me: Oh, good. Well that's not long to wait then. Are you looking forward to it?
    Caller: Yes.
    Me; Well, I hope you have a good holiday.
    Caller: Thank you.
    Me: Anyway, I have to go now. It's been nice having this little chat. Goodbye.

I was just talking to my son about this and he told me he had a similar phone call a couple of weeks ago from an Indian gentleman saying he was from "Windows". My son, who is a bit of a computer expert, asked him what the problem was and then asked him a couple of technical questions. The replies he got were just nonsense but sounded good. After he'd had enough of playing with him, my son said, "Oh by the way, I am a Microsoft Engineer". There was a hurried click at the other end of the line as the call was abruptly terminated.
    I tell them I work as an IT technician in my current job or usually say I don't have internet... What is more annoying than these people is the silent calls you get weeks before hand.. that is how I know they will be calling me soon
    Super Mod

Thread Information