Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hollyoaks - General news thread

Channel 4 boss Jay Hunt has insisted that Hollyoaks is not facing the axe.

Chief creative officer Hunt, previously the controller of BBC One, acknowledged that the teen soap is experiencing a lull in popularity at present.

Speaking at a Channel 4 corporate event, she said: "Having run one and had similar issues with EastEnders, it is always true with soaps you have ups and downs. I would agree with you at the moment, Hollyoaks isn't on its best form."

Referring to last November's ratings-winning Silas serial killer plot, Hunt added: "At the end of last year, it was on stonking form and we had a great start to 2012. But continuing dramas have highs and lows, one slightly dud storyline can dip the viewing figures. That's how it goes and I'm pretty relaxed with that.

"I'm constantly in touch with Lime and I think Hollyoaks is a really important part of Channel 4. It is an important part of our schedule. It is just part of the ebb and flow of a continuing drama."

Hollyoaks' future has been much speculated since 2010, when Paul Marquess gave the show a major revamp.

The 44-year-old joined Channel 4 in 2010 after two years at the BBC

A Hollyoaks special next month is to get an innovative new social TV experience, after Channel 4 teamed up with Bauer Media's Heat magazine.

Heat4…Live! is a dual screen experience that will run on E4.com and Heatworld.com, providing companion content around three key episodes of Channel 4 shows this summer, starting at 6.30pm on June 8 for the Hollyoaks 'Savage Party' special.

The service will act as a 'second screen hub' when the show is on, as well as host a live and interactive 'show-about-the-show' for 15 minutes after the programme ends.

Bauer Media created the campaign after Channel 4 issued a call for "an innovative and noisy new platform that speaks to Channel 4's core values, providing a richer viewing experience for fans of C4's shows".

Heat4 seeks to take advantage of a growing trend of "dual-screen" behaviour, involving viewers accessing social networks and companion online content while TV programmes, such as The X Factor and The Voice UK, are being shown live.

As Hollyoaks is being aired, the Heat4 experience will serve up bespoke companion content and curated Twitter feeds, which Channel 4 hopes will "create an experience akin to the audience watching telly together and bantering with friends".

Box TV, the subsidiary of distribution group DCD Media, has produced the 'show-about-the-show', which will be hosted by T4's Will Best and Heat editor Lucie Cave.

Broadcast live from a London living room, the show will include appearances from cast members and Skype chats with celebrity fans.

The second-screen experience will 'spring to life' on E4.com and Heatworld.com as the show starts, and will exist in companion mode throughout the duration of the 10-week campaign as a bespoke entertainment hub on both sites.

Heat4 will be run live for episodes of two other Channel 4 shows this summer. The identities have not yet been announced, but they are likely to be more youth-oriented programmes, potentially on E4.

"We are thrilled to be producing this brilliant campaign in partnership with Channel 4," said Lucy Banks, the executive creative director of Bauer Media.

"It allows us to use heat's ability to ramp up engagement and 'editorialise' excitement about great Channel 4 shows with this ground-breaking new format that rewards their viewers - and ours - with an even deeper experience of the stuff they love best."

Channel 4's acting head of marketing James Walker added: "The way people watch TV is changing all the time and we're constantly looking to create new and exciting ways that bring audiences to, and engage them with, our shows.

"Combining Heat's strong editorial with Channel 4's great programming will make for a really captivating viewer experience and we've loved working with Bauer to bring Heat4 to life."

Heat4 comes as Heat prepares to launch a new celebrity and music TV channel on July 3, as a joint venture with Box TV and Channel 4.

Hollyoaks star Dan O'Connor has revealed how a fan once complained to show bosses about his lack of replies.

The Australian actor - who currently stars as Ally Gorman in the Channel 4 soap - used to appear in Neighbours as Ned Parker.

He explained how one particular fan had sent him a request to come and stay with her.

"When I was on Neighbours there was this woman from Britain who used to send me packages with things like wristbands and a cassette called 'PS I Love You'," he told Inside Soap.

"I found out later that she'd written a complaint letter to the production office, saying that I hadn't responded to her invitation to come and see her and stay on her new settee in her bungalow!

"I did send her a signed fan card eventually, and said thanks for all the gifts."

O'Connor added that he misses the Australian sunshine and beaches since joining the UK show in December.

"When I lived in Sydney I was about half an hour from the beach so we were there pretty much every weekend. It's the done thing Down Under."

Dan O'Connor promised fans earlier this month that his Hollyoaks character's "good boy" image will change.

Hollyoaks star Barry Sloane has been cast in season two of Revenge.

The actor, who played villainous long-lost McQueen sibling Niall Rafferty in the soap, will portray a mysterious figure from Emily's (Emily VanCamp) past, according to TV Guide.

Sloane has also appeared as Kieron Callaghan in Holby City and took on roles in The Bill, Casualty, Brookside and DCI Banks.

Revenge executive Mike Kelley recently vowed to top the action-packed season one finale when the show returns to ABC later this year.

"Coming up with a good season ender is no walk in the park," he admitted. "But paying it off so that the viewer is satisfied enough to follow you down the next year of rabbit holes is a true high-wire act."

Gemma Merna has confessed that she became tearful during her wedding ceremony to Ian Minton earlier this year.

The Hollyoaks actress, who had been engaged for three years, married the property developer at a Merseyside ceremony in May.

The Carmel McQueen star told Now magazine: "I thought we might giggle through our vows. I didn't expect tears."

The 27-year-old, also a glamour model, added: 'When I walked in and saw Ian standing there, I was just overcome."

However, Merna admitted that the long time the couple took between their 2009 engagement and recent marriage put a strain on their relationship.

"I think we put ourselves to the test by waiting four years to get married," she added. "When something is right, you just know."

Gemma Merna was recently left stunned by the sudden death of her father in late June.

Gemma Merna has confessed that she became tearful during her wedding ceremony to Ian Minton earlier this year.

The Hollyoaks actress, who had been engaged for three years, married the property developer at a Merseyside ceremony in May.

The Carmel McQueen star told Now magazine: "I thought we might giggle through our vows. I didn't expect tears."

The 27-year-old, also a glamour model, added: 'When I walked in and saw Ian standing there, I was just overcome."

However, Merna admitted that the long time the couple took between their 2009 engagement and recent marriage put a strain on their relationship.

"I think we put ourselves to the test by waiting four years to get married," she added. "When something is right, you just know."

Gemma Merna was recently left stunned by the sudden death of her father in late June.

Hollyoaks has denied reports that a Take Me Out contestant has been awarded a part on the soap.

It was claimed today that Leigh Booth, the first man to appear on the new series of the ITV dating show, had been approached for a guest spot after his episode aired last Saturday (October 6).

According to The Sun, Booth was meant to reprise his real-life job as a postman.

"Leigh was really disappointed when so few girls showed an interest in him. But it seems like his particular cloud has a silver lining," a source said.

"His experience may not have been much of an ego boost but at least we managed to get him a job."

However, a spokesperson for Hollyoaks has told Digital Spy today (October 11) that there are no plans for Booth to have a role in the show.

Take Me Out fans will be able to see Booth's date on this week's episode, airing Saturday (October 13) at 7.05pm on ITV1.

Gemma Merna has reportedly been declared bankrupt.

The Hollyoaks actress is said to have failed to appear at a court hearing over an unpaid bill, reports The Sun.

The star was reportedly filming Hollyoaks and an episode of Family Fortunes at the time instead.

She was summoned to court after failing to pay a £500 bill for an artificial lawn at her farmhouse property in Ormskirk, Lancashire.

NoMow took the actress to court and received an initial judgement against her to pay the bill, but she failed to make the payment.

The company later took her to court again and won a second judgement including their legal costs, but she is said to have continued not to pay the bill.

Merna's spokesperson said that the bankruptcy occurred because of a "legal loophole".

They said: "Due to a legal loophole Gemma was declared bankrupt earlier this week, being left with the choice whether to keep paying money to a company she was unhappy with or to take a stand out of principle and do what she felt was right."

Merna - who plays Carmel McQueen in the Channel 4 soap - recently said that she and new husband Ian Minton have no plans to start a family in the foreseeable future.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...#ixzz2Dh71NxYB

Hollyoaks will return to screens in Australia and New Zealand in 2013, it has been announced.

The Channel 4 soap will next year join the UKTV network in both countries in deals struck by All3Media International, TBI Vision reports.

UKTV already broadcasts fellow British soaps Coronation Street, EastEnders and Emmerdale to Australian audiences.

Tim Christlieb, head of programming and production for UKTV's owner BBC Worldwide Channels, commented: "We are delighted to be able to respond to huge audience demand by bringing back premiere episodes of Hollyoaks to audiences in Australia and New Zealand on UKTV.

"Great British soaps are a really important part of UKTV and we are thrilled to be bringing our viewers even more of what we know they love."

All3Media International's Peter Grant added: "We're very pleased to see Hollyoaks premiering in Australia and New Zealand. UKTV is renowned as the home of the best UK soaps and we're looking forward to our hit drama joining its schedules.

"Hollyoaks continues to capture the attention of the highly sought after youth audience, with storylines that are entertaining and humorous yet also tackle the key issues teenagers around the world are confronting - making it a must-see drama wherever it airs."

Hollyoaks previously aired in Australia on Network Seven's digital channel 7Two.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...#ixzz2EezK56U3

Sky News and This Morning host Eamonn Holmes has filmed a guest appearance on Hollyoaks.

The broadcaster shot his scenes for the Channel 4 soap earlier today (December 17), working alongside regular cast member Rachel Shenton, who plays glamour girl Mitzeee Minniver.

Shenton and the Hollyoaks crew travelled to Sky News's base in London for the scenes, which seemingly see Mitzeee appear on Holmes's Sunrise programme.

Mitzeee's semi-celebrity status makes her no stranger to TV appearances, but details of why she is hitting the airwaves this time around are being kept under wraps for now.

Writing on Twitter, Holmes joked: "Just to say @RachelShenton, thank you for being a delight to work with. Do you think the audience will take to our blossoming romance plot?"

He added: "Big thanks to Hollyoaks for giving young acting talent like myself and @RachelShenton our big breaks. Valentine's Day Special."

Meanwhile, Shenton kept fans guessing about the storyline by tweeting: "What is mitzeee doing with @eamonnholmes?"

Hollyoaks will air the episode in question next year.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...#ixzz2FK1nVrU8
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Thread Information