Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollyoaks - General news thread

Ricky Whittle has promised to help former Hollyoaks co-star Jamie Lomas with his US ambitions in the coming weeks.

Lomas, who recently bowed out from his role as Warren Fox on the Channel 4 soap, has often said that he would like to secure Stateside acting work - although he has ruled out a permanent move across the pond.

Whittle, meanwhile, is hoping to settle in Los Angeles so that he can fully focus on his US dreams for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of his current projects, Whittle told the Liverpool Echo: "It's been a couple of months of frustrations because of visa problems, so I've missed out on playing a killer in CSI: Miami and a role in NBC's comedy Up All Night.

"It's very frustrating because I was in Las Vegas with friends when I got offered CSI. So when I got a copy of my visa to them it was too late.

"But I got three of my last four gigs and my agent said if all of his clients did that, he'd be a rich man. I've got my green card coming through now and I'd like to apply for American citizenship."

Discussing ex-colleague Lomas, he added: "I'm going to introduce Jamie to some people while he's here and I'll help him find a car."

Whittle left Hollyoaks in 2010 after more than four years playing Calvin Valentine.

Hollyoaks star Rachel Shenton is to climb Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for charity, it has been announced.

The actress, who plays glamour girl Mitzeee Minniver on the Channel 4 soap, is taking on the challenge in aid of the National Deaf Children's Society (NDCS).

Shenton is believed to have started training for the expedition last month.

Climbing the 19,341ft Tanzanian peak typically takes between five and seven days depending on training and the route taken.

Shenton has supported NDCS for some time and completed her first ever skydive to raise funds for the charity in March 2011.

The 24-year-old has personal experience of deafness as her late father was deaf in the final two years of his life.

After learning British Sign Language (BSL) at the age of 16, Shenton has since worked as a BSL interpreter and volunteered for Staffordshire charity Deaflinks, running drama workshops for deaf children.

Hollyoaks bosses have announced that stars from the soap will host a sponsored sleep-out next week to raise money for homelessness charity Centrepoint.

Cast and crew will brace themselves for a cold night on Thursday, March 1 as they sleep in the centre of Hollyoaks village at the show's base in Childwall, Liverpool.

Hollyoaks stars are taking on the challenge to tie in with the drama's ongoing homelessness storyline, which recently saw teenager George Smith (Steven Roberts) and his friend Phoebe (Mandip Gill) struggling with life on the streets.

Show chiefs have promised that the upcoming event "will deliver surprises and guest appearances" as Hollyoaks and Centrepoint aim to raise money throughout the night and beyond.

Centrepoint's chief executive Seyi Obakin commented: "We're delighted that Hollyoaks village is hosting a sleep-out. Thanks to the storyline that has unfolded over the last few months, a large audience of young people is more aware of homelessness - an issue over 80,000 of their peers face every year across the UK.

"Sleeping out won't be easy for the cast, but it will give them a glimpse of what so many young people go through every night. We urge you to support them, so we can give young people the support they need to turn their lives around."

Hollyoaks has also confirmed that George's storyline is far from over, as next month viewers will see Phoebe betray the sixth former by leading him straight back into the hands of evil Deena (Sian Breckin) and Graham (Steven Marsh).

Fans will remember that the twisted pair recently held George and Phoebe against their will before they managed to escape. The return of the villains will result in a dramatic and harrowing week for George.

To help raise money ahead of the upcoming sleep-out, Centrepoint are also offering one fan and four friends the chance to win a Hollyoaks set tour if they donate via text to the charity. Details of the competition can be found on the Centrepoint website.

A Justgiving site will be available to make donations from Tuesday, February 28 when the text to donate competition closes.

Jorgie Porter has admitted that she is surprised her romance with Hollyoaks co-star James Atherton has lasted.

The Theresa McQueen actress, who is currently taking a break from the show to compete on Dancing on Ice, believes that she will stay with Atherton for the "long-term".

The 24-year-old told Fabulous magazine: "We were friends for about six months before we got together and I thought he was an utter pain in the backside."

However, she insisted that her feelings have now changed, adding: "He's amazing. I hope it's long-term. It feels like it will be, anyway."

The Hollyoaks couple, whose on-screen characters Theresa and Will are also an item, initially attempted to keep their romance a secret.

Porter, who recently stated her intention to stay on the Channel 4 soap, confirmed her relationship with Atherton last September.

Channel 4 has announced that a Hollyoaks app is currently in the works.

The broadcaster is currently searching for companies to produce a tie-in application for the soap, with Hollyoaks producer Lime Pictures beginning to brief agencies.

Hollyoaks producer Emma Smithwick has previously spoken about hopes of trying out new ways of producing content based on the soap.

Channel 4's drama multiplatform commissioner Hilary Perkins will also be involved with the app's creation, reports Broadcast Now.

Meanwhile, Channel 4 has ditched plans for an interactive play-along game for an upcoming comedy panel show.

The Twofour series had originally been created as a live interactive game show with Monterosa and Stardotstar, but has now been changed to a pre-recorded series, leading to the cancellation of the play-along apps.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman said of the game show: "We're thrilled to be working on a new comedy panel show that will delve into our shared history through a mixture of memorable and forgotten clips."

Channel 4 unveiled its plans for a new 'Shuffle' TV-catchup service earlier this year.

Hollyoaks bosses have today confirmed that former EastEnders series story producer Kathleen Beedles is joining the soap's creative team.

Beedles has landed the position of story consultant at the Channel 4 show and began work at the programme's base in Liverpool yesterday (March 26).

The appointment comes as part of a handful of behind-the-scenes changes at Hollyoaks.

Beedles headed up the storyline team at EastEnders for over a year, but departed her Walford role earlier this month.

She also worked as Emmerdale's series producer between 2005 and 2008, which was one of the ITV1 show's most successful eras.

Meanwhile, Digital Spy can also confirm that Gareth Lemon has returned to Hollyoaks as script producer after more than two years as senior script editor at Coronation Street. He previously worked in the script department at Hollyoaks between 2003 and 2009.

Finally, Hollyoaks' script editor Kate Hall has been promoted to the post of series editor.

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4 with a first look screening at 7pm on E4.

Hollyoaks has landed a product placement contract with cosmetics and beauty company L'Oréal, it has been announced.

Channel 4 and Hollyoaks' production company Lime Pictures have secured a six-month deal with the firm, Broadcast reports.

L'Oréal products will now appear in a number of settings on the show, including at the village's gym. They may also feature on adverts displayed on the local bus stop.

The deal was brokered by media agency ZenithOptimedia, Channel 4's sponsorship, placement and funded content business manager Vicky Kell, Channel 4's partnership lead Rob Ramsay and Lime Pictures' managing director Sean Marley.

Product placement for Hollyoaks was first planned some time ago as Channel 4 reportedly identified £12 million worth of placement opportunities within the teen soap last summer. The opportunities covered six areas, including fashion, health and beauty and coffee/retail.

Coronation Street last year became the first UK soap to feature product placement as a Nationwide cash machine was brought into Dev Alahan's corner shop. The Nationwide deal has since been renewed for another year.

Product placement was given the green light by Ofcom in December 2010.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Former EastEnders star Cliff Parisi has landed a guest role on Hollyoaks, Digital Spy can confirm.

The actor, best known for his part as Walford's Minty Peterson, has been filming at the Channel 4 soap's base in Liverpool over the past few weeks.

Show bosses are keeping tight-lipped over Parisi's storyline, but Digital Spy understands that he is playing a character named Walt.

Hollyoaks fans will see Walt on screen for a handful of episodes in June.

Parisi teased his Twitter followers with the news that he had secured another soap job a few weeks ago.

He said at the time: "Just on my way back to London after my first day on another soap! Overalls are a possibility, ho hum! Don't panic it's just a few eps, blink and I'm gone, but it's fun and they are a really lovely bunch."

Parisi played EastEnders' Minty between 2002 and 2010. More recently, he has been seen as Fred on BBC One's Call the Midwife.

Ashley Taylor Dawson has confessed that he once left co-stars Jimmy McKenna and Helen Pearson in an uncompromising position on set.

Speaking to Inside Soap, the Darren Osborne actor claims the pair - who play middle-aged married couple Jack and Frankie - kissed for 10 minutes as he deliberately missed his cue.

"Jimmy and Helen had to do a scene on a waterbed where Nancy and Darren catch them at it," he recalled.

"They had to keep kissing until I said my line, so I just let them go for it for 10 minutes and taped them on my phone!

"The crew were all in on it and it was really funny - but Jimmy and Helen were a bit embarrassed."

Meanwhile, Dawson outlined an ambitious desire for Batman star Tom Hardy to play a cousin of alter ego Darren.

The 30-year-old added: "I'd like Tom Hardy to come in and be Darren's second cousin, just so we could have a right blast together on set."

Dawson was earlier this month nominated alongside Jessica Fox, who plays lover Nancy, for the 'Best On-Screen Partnership' category in this year's British Soap Awards.

Hollyoaks star Bronagh Waugh has joined the cast of a new BBC drama.

The actress, who portrays Cheryl Brady in the teen soap, will play the wife of a serial killer in upcoming BBC Two thriller The Fall.

Waugh said that she will not need to take a break from Hollyoaks to film the five-part piece.

She told PA: "I am so thrilled and honoured to have been given this opportunity by the BBC. It is such a challenging and demanding role that I feel will really stretch me and explore my range.

"Allan Cubitt's script is the kind that actors can only dream of and to be involved with such an esteemed cast and creative team is a definite career high for me.

"I'm so lucky to have such an understanding boss at Hollyoaks. Emma Smithwick, our executive producer, was so supportive and did everything in her power to enable me to do both.

"She knew what an amazing opportunity it was for me. It's been tough - working seven days a week and flying back and forth between Belfast and Liverpool - but I absolutely love it!"

Playing Sally-Ann Spector in The Fall, Waugh will appear alongside X Files legend Gillian Anderson, who stars as murder investigator DSI Gibson.

Hollyoaks co-star Gerard McCarthy has signed up for the show in March. Once Upon a Time's Jamie Dornan and SéainÃ*n Brennan have also been recently announced.

Thread Information