Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollyoaks - General news thread

'Hollyoaks' most popular show on 4oD in July

Hollyoaks was the most requested programme on Channel 4's catch-up TV platform 4oD last month, according to the first usage data released by the broadcaster.

The BBC has long published a monthly usage report for its BBC iPlayer platform, but this marks the first time that Channel 4 has released data about consumption on 4oD.

During July, 4oD attracted 29 million programme requests across all platforms where it is available, including Channel 4.com, Youtube, SeeSaw, Apple's iOS, PlayStation 3, BT Vision, Virgin Media and Talk Talk.

Hollyoaks was the most popular show of the month, attracting just over 1.82 million requests in total, followed by series 11 of 8 Out Of Ten Cats (1.08m), series one of comedy drama Sirens (1.06m), Come Dine With Me's series 22 (1.04m) and season three of The Inbetweeners (902,000).

Entertainment shows attracted the most requests in July, at 9.15m, followed by drama (6.69m), health and wellbeing (4.38m), comedy (4.16m), factual (2.67m), home (1.1m) and lifestyle (521k).

In the year to the end of July, 4oD attracted a total of 242m programme requests, up 20.9% on the previous year's figures. This also makes Channel 4 the most successful UK commercial broadcaster in the video on-demand market, eclipsing Channel 5, ITV and UKTV.

Users on 4oD on average watch 24 minutes of footage in each viewing, and spend an average of 1.8 hours on the site each month. The platform attracts 3.4m average monthly unique users.

Channel 4 said that it uses a "range of sources" to calculate usage across all platforms where 4oD is available, and all data is checked "thoroughly" to ensure its accuracy.

Yesterday, the broadcaster announced that its flagship news programme will now be available for catch up for a 24-hour period on the advertising-funded 4oD.

The arrival of Channel 4 News on 4oD comes ahead of the relaunch of the VOD platform on the Channel 4 website tomorrow, offering a raft of new features, including more personalisation options and "viewer-driven" recommendations.

At the Edinburgh TV Festival last weekend, Channel 4 chief executive David Abraham said that the next decade will be all about getting "connected" with viewers as broadcasters search for ways to turn convergence into cash.

Hollyoaks - General news thread

Post any general news related to the show, characters or returning people.
    Super Mod

Sugababes star Heidi Range has revealed that she once turned down a role on Hollyoaks in order to concentrate on her pop ambitions.

The singer told the Liverpool Echo that she was offered a part on the Channel 4 soap when she was first starting out with the girl group.

Range spoke of her Hollyoaks offer as she visited the drama's set to film an appearance on The Hollyoaks Music Show, which airs on Channel 4 on Saturday mornings.

"I actually had an audition for Hollyoaks so it was weird coming in here," she explained.

"I didn't get the part but they contacted me for another part and I had to turn it down for the band."

Sugababes appear on The Hollyoaks Music Show on September 10, while they release their new single 'Freedom' on September 25.

Carley Stenson has revealed that she is dating Danny Mac.

The former Hollyoaks actress, who quit her role as Steph Roach in 2010, said that she did not meet her new boyfriend on the set of the soap where he plays Mark "Dodger" Savage, but through "mutual friends".

Stenson told Heat magazine: "I've done well. I've bagged myself the sexiest male! We really didn't plan to be dating people from Hollyoaks. I didn't even realise when I first met him! I thought I'd got away from that, we've just got lots of mutual friends."

Stenson said of her ex-boyfriend and former co-star Ricky Whittle: "Me and Ricky are still friends, I think he's doing well in LA. He's in a new film with Jane Seymour so fingers crossed for him!"

When asked about her new hairdo, the actress explained: "I wanted to rebel a little bit. I'd had the same hair for ten years in Hollyoaks."

Stenson - who is currently starring in the West End stage show of Legally Blonde - also revealed that she would like to stick to a career in musicals at the moment.

"Fingers crossed I'll get an audition for the Spice Girls musical," she said. "I'd love to be in that!"

A young woman's body has been found at the home of former Hollyoaks actress Phina Oruche, according to reports.

Police found the body when they visited Oruche's house in Aigburth, Liverpool yesterday morning, the Liverpool Echo says.

The woman has not been identified but is believed to be in her late teens or early 20s. It is thought that the death is currently being treated as unexplained and a postmortem examination will be carried out at a later date.

One local resident told the newspaper: "The people in there haven't been in that house for very long, just a few months I think. The woman who owns the house has a little boy and she always smiles and says hello."

Oruche, 39, has appeared in a number of TV shows over the years, including The Bill, Nip/Tuck, Charmed and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Most recently, she had a six-month stint playing Gabby Sharpe on Channel 4's Hollyoaks, which ended in late 2010 when the Sharpe clan were written out of the teen soap.

Body found at ex-Hollyoaks star Phina Oruche's home 'may be relative'

A young woman who was found dead at the home of Phina Oruche may be related to the former Hollyoaks star, a report has claimed.

Although the 25-year-old woman has not been officially identified, The Mirror reports that she may have been a family member.

Oruche - who appeared as Gabby Sharpe in Hollyoaks between June and December 2010 - is said to be in shock and is being comforted by her family following the discovery at her Liverpool home on Tuesday morning.

A 999 call was placed in which emergency services were told that a woman was "not moving".

She was later pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Police are treating the death as unexplained, although it is believed that there are no suspicious circumstances.

The young woman found dead at the Liverpool home of former Hollyoaks star Phina Oruche has been identified as the actress's second cousin.

Oruche today released a statement explaining that she is "devastated" by the loss of 19-year-old Nigerian student Chiamaka Nwabunie, who had been studying in the city.

"Chi Chi, as she was lovingly called by us all, was bright, beautiful and very kind," Oruche told the Liverpool Echo. "She was a second year engineering student at Liverpool University only 19 years of age, she was healthy, clean living, completely reliable and trustworthy which is why I had asked her to look after my home while I was away at a conference.

"She literally went to bed on Monday night and didn't wake up. When she didn't answer my calls, I asked a friend to check on her, I was told of her death by the police.

"I, and all of Chi Chi's family are absolutely devastated by this loss and struggling to make sense of it. We ask for some privacy and respect during this particularly difficult time."

Merseyside Police are thought to be treating the death as unexplained but not suspicious.

Oruche appeared in the role of Gabby Sharpe on Hollyoaks between June and December last year.

Ex-'Hollyoaks' star Phina Oruche's cousin died of natural causes

The young woman found dead at the home of former Hollyoaks star Phina Oruche died of natural causes, it has been confirmed.

Oruche's second cousin Chiamaka Nwabunie, 19, died at the beginning of last week while staying at the actress's home in Liverpool. She had been studying Electrical Engineering at Liverpool University.

The Liverpool Echo now reports that there will be no inquest after a post-mortem showed that the teenager died of natural causes.

It is understood that Nwabunie's funeral will take place in her home country of Nigeria.

Oruche released a statement about her relative's death last week, describing Nwabunie as "bright, beautiful and very kind". She confirmed that the student had been looking after her home while she was away at a conference.

Oruche appeared in the role of Gabby Sharpe on Hollyoaks between June and December last year.

A Hollyoaks fan who won the black wedding dress worn by Jennifer Metcalfe in TV adverts for Mercedes's wedding storyline has decided to sell it.

Donna Evans from Telford entered a Channel 4 competition to win the black gown with a 33ft train and admitted that she would have loved to wear it at her own wedding, but as she is already married has decided to auction it on eBay.

According to the Shropshire Star, the 37-year-old has revealed that she wants to donate any money raised to charity Against Breast Cancer.

Bidding on the dress on the auction website currently stands at £310.

Metcalfe recently revealed that she had "fun" filming the gothic-themed clip with the dress on but admitted that it was "heavy" work and that it hurt when she had to put ink in her eye to blacken her tears.

Hollyoaks' sponsorship deal with camera manufacturer Nikon has been renewed for another year.

Nikon has sponsored the Channel 4 soap since January and the new deal will see its branding accompany the programme's airings for the whole of 2012, Marketing Magazine reports.

The latest contract also sees Nikon extending its relationship with Hollyoaks by launching a competition which gives customers a chance to win a walk-on part on the show when they buy a Coolpix S3100 camera.

The competition is expected to be promoted on screen and with a variety of activity at Asda supermarkets nationwide.

Nikon UK's group marketing manager Jeremy Gilbert said of the deal: "We are delighted to further build on Nikon's relationship with Hollyoaks with the continued sponsorship of the programme and the launch of the competition with Asda.

"Nikon's stronger association with the hugely popular teen drama is further helping to change the perception of the Nikon brand, and attract a younger audience."

As with the current deal, Nikon's branding will accompany Hollyoaks' airings on Channel 4, E4 and 4oD.

Hollyoaks has enjoyed a ratings boost in recent weeks thanks to Mercedes McQueen's dramatic wedding and the climax of Silas Blissett's dark storyline.

Thread Information