Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vicky Entwistle is leaving the show after 14 years as Janice Battersby

Vicky Entwistle is leaving the show after 14 years as Janice Battersby

Coronation Street star Vicky Entwistle is leaving the show after 14 years as gobby factory worker Janice Battersby.

Soap bosses said the actress "agonised" over her decision, but decided the show's 50th anniversary year was the right time to say goodbye.

Vicky said: "Corrie means so much to me and I could easily have continued to play Janice for the rest of my acting career. But I've been thinking of leaving for some time, and couldn't deny those feelings. I've a hankering to do other drama projects and so if I don't make this move now I never will."

The actress, whose husband Andrew Chapman used to work in the props department, added: "The programme has given me my husband Andy, as we met and got together when he worked on the show, and I've had a fantastic time playing an extremely feisty character.

"I'll miss the great friends I've made during my time in Coronation Street, but I know we'll stay in touch and I'm grateful to be part of the show's 50th anniversary as it's a huge landmark in British television."

Producer Phil Collinson said: "When she first appeared on screen in 1996, Janice Battersby caused a stir and has continued to do so ever since. Vicky created a strong and uncompromising battleaxe with a heart of gold lurking underneath - in the true tradition of great Coronation Street women. She'll be missed by us all and we wish her well."

A Coronation Street spokeswoman would not reveal details of when or how the character makes her exit. However, some key characters will be killed off in a 50th anniversary storyline in December, when a tram crashes on to the cobbles and causes carnage.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-08-2010), lizann (04-08-2010)

Guess she is another candidate for the tram disaster I like her a lot

CORONATION Street star Vicky Entwistle last night quit her role as loudmouth Janice Battersby after a series of bust-ups with new axeman boss Phil Collinson.
    The actress, who has played Janice Battersby for 13 years, stormed out of a meeting last Friday with Collinson about her character's storylines.
    Collinson has already axed Claire and Ashley Peacock (Julia Haworth and Steven Arnold). Vicky Binns, who plays Molly Dobbs, is also leaving.

An insider told The Sun: "Phil is really shaking things up and senior cast members resent that. Vicky struggled to get along with him and made her feelings known.
    "They had a furious row last week after Vicky demanded to know why her name had been scribbled off call sheets.
    "They decided they couldn't work together and Vicky felt she had no choice than to resign."

Vicky, 41, also caused ructions last week when she left the set without permission. Our insider added: "Vicky thought no one would miss her, but they did."
    Her exit comes days after her husband Andrew Chapman appeared in court charged with hitting a fan.
    He denied assaulting a man who asked to take Vicky's picture on a train in April.
    Chapman, 47, is being represented by celebrity lawyer Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman's company and will face trial in October. Vicky is likely to give evidence.
    Advertisement

She has played the knicker-stitcher since 1996, when the dysfunctional family - also made up of husband Les (Bruce Jones) and daughters Leanne (Jane Danson) and Toyah (Georgia Taylor) - became Britain's best-known "family from hell".
    Her character has been involved in several major storylines, including daughter Toyah's rape and step-daughter Leanne's cocaine addiction.
    Vicky insisted: "Corrie means so much. I could easily have continued to play Janice for the rest of my career.
    "But I've been thinking of leaving for some time. I have a hankering to do other drama projects."
    Corrie producer Collinson said: "Vicky created a strong, uncompromising battleaxe with a heart of gold lurking underneath - in the true tradition of great Coronation Street women."
    Last night Corrie spokeswoman Janice Troup said: "Vicky resigned. She was not sacked and didn't fall out with Phil."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz0vUt42ffr
    Last edited by alan45; 03-08-2010 at 02:14.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-08-2010)

Though I'm not a fan of Janice Battersby, reading the above makes me feel uneasy about the future of Corrie. Why is Phil Collinson fixing what isn't broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    Though I'm not a fan of Janice Battersby, reading the above makes me feel uneasy about the future of Corrie. Why is Phil Collinson fixing what isn't broken?
    Its the same old story. A new producer has to make his mark

VICKY Entwistle yesterday denied she quit Corrie over bust-ups with Phil Collinson.
    Vicky, 41, who plays Janice Battersby, said she made her decision before the new boss arrived.
    Reports suggested there were rows over plotlines.
    But Vicky, walking her dogs with hubby Andrew Chapman yesterday, said: "There was no bust-up. Phil is lovely. I wanted to shake off a character I've played for 14 years." She has a new role lined up.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz0vaoOTy2p

I hope she leaves with some hot loaded male model

The character was very underused

Awww I think she great! I know she hasnt had many storylines but shes one of those thats just great to have around sometimes

Kym Marsh has admitted that she was shocked by news of Vicky Entwistle's exit from Coronation Street.

It was announced last week that Entwistle will leave her role as Janice Battersby after 13 years in the soap.

Marsh revealed in her New column that she did not know about the departure until the news broke.

"I hadn't seen Vicky Entwistle, who plays Janice Battersby, on set for a while and was shocked to learn she's quit the show," she wrote.

"I don't know if she's coming back and nor do my spies in the green room!"

The actress, who plays Michelle Connor, also discussed news that her on-screen son Ryan will only be making occasional appearances in the soap after he goes to university.

"My character Michelle's son Ryan is off to university, so Ben Thompson who plays him won't be around as much," she said.

"Although he'll be popping back from time to time, it's killing me as we're very close."

Kym Marsh comments on everything She must love seeing her name in the media

Thread Information