Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 - Season 2012

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Wonder if we will be able to watch it online. Mush as I love F I am not going to pay Sky for the privilege even though Lewis will be the champion next year
    Yes.. RTL.de has a live stream... loads in the UK does this.. put on RTL but english commentary on 5 live.. and I don't think so re Hamilton
    Super Mod

Thanks Shiv
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

LEWIS HAMILTON last night ended his bitter feud with F1 rival Felipe Massa.
    The warring duo hugged and made up after the final race of the season in Brazil.

Hamilton spotted his Ferrari rival in the paddock and went up and put an arm around the Brazilian.

The McLaren racer, 26, said: "I wanted to make things up with Felipe. It's been a long hard year for all the drivers and I hope they all have a good winter.

"It was good to have a nice chat with Felipe. I have great respect for him and I'm already looking forward to racing him again next year."

Hamilton's hopes of finishing a roller-coaster of a year on a high in Sao Paulo were left in tatters by a gearbox failure.

He could only watch from the sidelines as McLaren team-mate Jenson Button clinched the runners-up spot in the championship with third place at Interlagos.

The Frome flier bagged his eighth podium in nine races as Mark Webber took advantage of fellow Red Bull racer Sebastian Vettel's own gearbox issues to score his first win of the season.

But Hamilton felt the need to apologise and wipe the slate clean for next year after the series of on and off track bust-ups that have blighted his season.

Hamilton, who finished fifth — 43 points behind Button — said: "I want to apologise to my team for the number of mishaps.

"There have been times this season when I have not performed as well as I could. But I got that out of the way and made sure they know that I am aware of it.

"My intention is to rectify that next year when I will come back stronger.

"This was not the way we wanted to finish but there was nothing we could do about the gearbox leak.

"The team apologised to me for letting me down but I don't feel they let me down. Its motorsport. We win and lose together."

Hamilton apologised to his fans and the race stewards following his infamous 'Is it because I'm black' barb after being hit with a double punishment in Monaco.

And he said sorry to fellow racers Felipe Massa, Pastor Maldonado and Kamui Kobayashi after various crashes with them this season.

Hamilton and Ferrari foe Massa came close to crashing for the SEVENTH time as the Brazilian fiercely defended fifth spot in front of his home-town fans.

But any fears of another bust-up ended after Hamilton was forced to park up off the circuit on lap 48. He added: "I was still able to compete with Massa despite the problems I had which is good. It shows I've still got it."

Webber's victory after being blown away by double champ Vettel all season will have given F1's conspiracy theorists a field day.

The Aussie ace, 35, blasted past Vettel before the midway point after the German had been told to nurse a gearbox problem.

But Vettel — who broke Brit legend Nigel Mansell's record of 14 poles in qualifying on Saturday — was still able to comfortably hold on to second place.

Webber had said he did not want any gifts from his team-mate who wrapped up the title with four races to spare, but accepted a much-needed boost to go into the winter break.

And the Bucks-based driver insisted: "This is a win I will take because I have had enough bad luck.

"It is how motorsport goes. But it is an important win for me and it is a good tonic."

Button's tally of 270 points was 14 MORE than Vettel's winning total last year, but just showed the Swiss-based racer's dominance as he finished with 11 wins from 19 attempts.

Button said: "It was good to get my 12th podium of the year.

"It has not been a perfect season, but it has been a good one. I can take a lot of positives from it."

Wonder if we will be able to watch it online. Mush as I love F I am not going to pay Sky for the privilege even though Lewis will be the champion next year

HA! HA! Your such a comedian Alan. There is no way Lewis is going to win next year. Vettel again or JB for champion next year.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Formula 1 bosses clarify blocking rule

Formula 1 bosses have changed the rules to prevent drivers 'blocking' a rival who is trying to pass them.
    The move was prompted by an incident involving Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton in Italy last season.

The new rule, officially published on Wednesday, forbids drivers from moving back on to the racing line if they have moved off it to defend.

It formally enshrines what had previously been an agreement between the drivers.

The new rule is article 20.3 of the F1 sporting regulations.

It says: "More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted.

"Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner."

It is this that so incensed Hamilton about Schumacher's driving in Monza - there was one incident between the second chicane and the first Lesmo corner which prompted the Englishman to get on the radio to his team and say: "I thought you were only allowed to make one move."

Schumacher's Mercedes team received a number of warnings from race director Charlie Whiting during his defence in Italy, and team boss Ross Brawn went on the radio to remind him to "leave room" for Hamilton when he was defending.

The previous rule that forbids drivers from forcing rivals off the track remains.
    It is article 20.3 and it reads: "Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted."

The new sporting regulations also forbid drivers from "leaving the track without justifiable reason", an attempt to stop them taking shortcuts back to the pits during practice and qualifying to save time and fuel - as Sebastian Vettel did in Korea.

And in article 40.12, they lay out circumstances under which lapped cars can unlap themselves during a safety car period.

The epic 2011 Canadian Grand Prix, which ran for four hours and four minutes following a two-hour mid-race stoppage for torrential rain, has led to a new rule restricting the maximum length of races, including stoppages, to four hours.

And the penalties against which teams are not able to appeal have been laid out in the rules.

These are any drive-through or time penalty imposed for a driving infringement during the race, a driver being excluded from the race on the grounds he did not set a time within 107% of the fastest in the first qualifying session; and not having all the wheels on the car three minutes before the race.

About time too

About time too
    Aw come on. All's fair in love and blocking especially when a certain German driver is in the thick of it

List of Drivers and Teams for 2012

1) Red Bull Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber

2) McLaren Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton

3)Ferrari Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa

4) Mercedes Michael Schumacher and Nico Roseberg

5) Lotus Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean

6) Force India Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg

7) Sauber Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi

8) Torro Rosso Daniel Ricicardo and Jean-Eric Vergne

9) Williams Pastor Maldonado

10) Caterham Heikki Kovalanien and Jarno Trulli

11) HRH Pedro de la Rosa

12) Virgin Timo Glock and Charles Pic

Think Williams are taken Barricello back... seems they are in talks at the moment.. Nice to Hulkenburg and Rakkonen back for 2012
    Super Mod

Sky Sports has signed up ex-Formula One World Champion Damon Hill to join its team to cover the motorsport on the new Sky Sports F1 channel.

Hill, who competed in F1 between 1992 and 1999, will provide expert analysis on Sky Sports F1 as part of Sky's controversial rights deal to show the motorsport from 2012 to 2018 with the BBC.

Sky's first channel dedicated to one single sport will launch in March, offering live coverage of all Grand Prix, practice and qualifying sessions in standard and high definition.

Alongside launching on Sky's pay-TV platform, Sky Sports F1 will also now become available on Virgin Media's cable television service, but only in SD.

Hill joins a new Sky presentation team made up mostly of ex-BBC talent, including Martin Brundle, David Croft, Anthony Davidson, Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham, backed up by the likes of Georgie Thompson, Simon Lazenby and Steve Rider.

The ex-Williams driver will be on air for ten of the season's 20 Grand Prix, including the curtain-raiser in Australia, along with Bahrain, Monaco, Silverstone, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, India, USA and Brazil.

In a statement on the Sky Sports website, F1 executive producer Martin Turner said: "Damon Hill is a British motor racing legend and has incredible Formula One knowledge and insight.

"He will provide our viewers with not just a driver's eye view, but also that of a world champion. There aren't many around and I'm delighted we'll have Damon with us during the season."

Hill, who previously appeared on ITV's F1 coverage in 2007 and 2008, said that the chance to join Sky Sports F1 was too good to miss.

"The plans Sky Sports have for Formula One are very impressive, particularly the dedicated Formula 1 channel and I couldn't resist becoming involved," he said.

"There are so many reasons to be excited about the new season and I can't wait to get started."

Sky Sports F1 will launch in early March, offering exclusive live coverage of the Australian GP beginning on March 16.

Thread Information