Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterloo Road Series 8 (***with spoiler*******)

Waterloo Road's new set will be based in Greenock, it has been announced.

The BBC school drama, which has been filmed in Rochdale since it began in 2006, will be relocated to the town, 25 miles outside of Glasgow in Scotland, for its eighth series next year.

Eileen Gallagher, chief executive officer of the programme's production company Shed, said in a statement: "Waterloo Road has had an incredibly happy six years in Rochdale working with one of the best TV crews in the country.

"But now we have outgrown our present site and we couldn't resist the BBC offer to take the show to Scotland.

"The former Greenock Academy school will make a great Waterloo Road and the stunning scenery in and around Greenock will be a fantastic asset right on our doorstep."

Gallagher added: "We're really looking forward to coming to Greenock and already we've had a terrific welcome."

The Scotland move, which has been criticised by cast members, was announced in August earlier this year.

Waterloo Road's five-year tenure in Rochdale will come to a "dramatic and explosive" conclusion on Wednesday, November 16 in four weeks' time.

Waterloo Road's current set in Rochdale is likely to be demolished, a report has claimed.

The BBC drama is currently based in the town's former Hill Top School but will soon move to a new home in Scotland, as announced earlier this year.

Rochdale Online now reports that no further use has been identified for the former school. As a result, local councillors are expected to meet next week to discuss whether it should be knocked down.

A report to be submitted to councillors apparently reads: "No use can be identified for the buildings in the short to medium term. If not demolished they would be empty, incurring costs for security and presenting high health and safety risk.

"It would not be appropriate to seek a use for the buildings in the longer term because the site is identified as part of the approved clearance programme for the implementation of the Kirkholt regeneration plan."

Waterloo Road is expected to finish filming in Rochdale early next year. Production will then move to Greenock in Scotland for episodes which will air in September 2012.

The show's move will be explained on screen when an "explosive" storyline leads to a group of existing pupils and teachers setting up a new independent school in Scotland, which will also use the Waterloo Road name.

I knew that ages ago but couldnt say anything! i know someone who works for Rochdale council.

I still think its ridiculas that its moving to Scotland,

I don't quite understand why the move either, maybe the set works out cheaper in Scotland??

22 February 2012

7.30-8.30pm
    BBC ONE and BBC HD

It’s the first day of term at Waterloo Road and Sian, who is covering for Michael, has her work cut out when the school is infiltrated by a local gang - the DSC.
    Tariq’s efforts to turn over a new leaf are challenged by the arrival of new pupil Mason, who is fresh out of youth detention centre and who soon makes it clear that he expects Tariq to join the DSC. The gang set their sights on attacking Finn and the situation escalates when Mason secures a knife.

The spotlight falls on Jez as the prime suspect to Michael’s hit and run, but with his marriage back on track he’s concerned that Sian will find out he was with Janeece. Meanwhile Chalky is backing up Linda’s story, but when his suspicions are aroused the net begins to close in on her. And Grantly makes a new enemy, dinner lady Maggie, when he criticises her culinary efforts.
    Last edited by Perdita; 02-02-2012 at 14:36.

Ah glad old Waterloo is back!!

29 February 2012

It’s the day of the head boy and head girl elections, but Lauren has other priorities as she sets her sights on a modelling career.

She shines in front of the camera at an audition, only to be told that she’s not right for them and that surgery could help her. She hits upon a moneymaking scheme to raise the necessary funds, but some careful words from good friend Josh make her reconsider.

Trudi clashes with Michael over his anti-gang measures and arranges a protest. Impressed by her leadership qualities, Michael appeals to Trudi to work with him.

Elsewhere, Josh’s drug problem lands him into deep trouble with Tom; Matt is shocked when Rosie goes into premature labour and Maggie challenges Grantly for setting up direct competition against her cosmetic company.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I don't quite understand why the move either, maybe the set works out cheaper in Scotland??
    Only just seen this. I tink that it probably does as i think waterloo road is one of BBC scotlands programmes along with River City and others.

Waterloo Road's Alex Walkinshaw has said that his character Jez is "under a lot of pressure" in the opening episodes of the new series.

Ex-Bill star Walkinshaw revealed that the PE teacher is the prime suspect in the hit-and-run on headmaster Michael Byrne (Alec Newman).

"Since Michael's hit and run all fingers are pointed at Jez," he told What's on TV. He feels under a lot of pressure and is very frustrated.

"Everyone he works with at school sees him as the main suspect. He thinks they should come out and say it instead of gossiping behind his back."

Explaining why Jez will continue to lie about his alibi, the actor said: "He told Sian (Jaye Jacobs) he was at the gym, as he doesn't want her to know he was at Janeece's apologising for a drunken pass he made at her! Even though it was innocent he wants to draw a line under the whole thing and move on by making his marriage his priority."

Asked why Jez is so keen to return to Waterloo Road, Walkinshaw added: "He goes back to work because he wants to see for himself that the affair between Michael and Sian is over.

"He also comes back to prove a point to Michael that he's the bigger man. Jez thinks 'I'm going to be professional, but I'm also keeping my beady eye on you Michael!' There's definitely trust issues at play for Jez."

Waterloo Road returns next Wednesday (February 22) at 7.30pm on BBC One.

Oh of course the hit and run. Thats how the last part ended. Id completly forgotton about that

Thread Information