Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterloo Road Series 8 (***with spoiler*******)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Waterloo Road Series 8 (***with spoiler*******)

From Wiki:

A further 20 episodes began filming in May 2011, for broadcast from the autumn. These episodes were initially planned to form the second part of series 7 but during series 7's transmission it was indicated that they may instead make up an eighth series

Alec Newman plays new headmaster Michael Byrne. Other new characters include Alex Walkinshaw and Jaye Jacobs as newly-married teachers Jez and Sian Diamond, and John Thomson in a recurring role as a parent. Torchwood star Kai Owen will also guest star in an unknown role. Paul Nicholls was initially cast as Jez, but was released from his contract after three days of filming due to personal problems affecting shooting.

Jason Done, Mark Benton, Philip Martin Brown and Chelsee Healey all return to the series, as does Chris Geere, his character Matt Wilding returning to Waterloo Road on Michael's request to reinvigorate the music and drama departments.

New pupils include Phoenix and Harley (Kane Tomlinson-Weaver) Taylor, Madeline (Georgia Henshaw) and Zack Diamond, and Tariq (Naveed Choudhry), Trudi (Aryana Ramkhalawon) and Naseem Siddiqui.

I am really looking forward to the next series, Wednesday night is not the same at the moment and it is not too long to wait, I guess

Jane Asher has signed up for a guest appearance in BBC One's Waterloo Road, taking on the role of a school inspector, Digital Spy can confirm.

The actress's feisty character will arrive at Waterloo Road Comprehensive later this year to investigate its progress following previous problems.

Speaking of how the newcomer causes a stir, a show source told The Mirror: "Her arrival couldn't come at a worse time. There is trouble between the staff and pupils - and she will come across it."

Asher is thought to be currently staying in Manchester while she films her part in the programme, which is set in Rochdale.

A BBC spokesperson confirmed to Digital Spy that Asher is guest starring in one episode.

As previously announced, new signings for the show's return include Scottish actor Alec Newman as the school's latest headteacher Michael Byrne, Jaye Jacobs and Alex Walkinshaw as married teachers Sian and Jez Diamond, and former Cold Feet star John Thomson, who will appear as a parent in regular guest appearances throughout the series.

Meanwhile, Chris Geere has signed up to make a comeback as ex-Waterloo Road teacher Matt Wilding, who is recruited to reinvigorate the music and drama departments.

Waterloo Road returns to screens in the autumn.

Waterloo Road is leaving its home of Rochdale and will begin filming in Scotland from next year, it has been announced.

The popular school drama will make the move next April as part of the BBC's aim to produce more programming in Scotland. The first series to be set in the show's new location will air in September 2012.

Waterloo Road fans have already seen ten episodes of the programme's seventh series, with another ten due to air from September. A further set of ten instalments will be filmed in the autumn for broadcast after Christmas, and these will be the last to be shot in Rochdale.

It is understood that viewers will see an "explosive" storyline air in early 2012 resulting in a group of existing teachers and pupils setting up a new independent school in Scotland, which will also use the Waterloo Road name.

Eileen Gallagher, chief executive of the show's Glasgow-based production company Shed, commented: "Waterloo Road has had an incredibly happy six years in Rochdale working with one of the best TV crews in the country. But now we have outgrown our present site and we couldn't resist the BBC offer to take the show to Scotland."

BBC Drama executive Ben Stephenson added: "As part of our ongoing commitment to establishing a drama base in Scotland, I asked Shed whether they would be interested in re-locating future series of Waterloo Road to their home country. While sad to leave Rochdale, they immediately saw the potential of the new stories they could tell, as well as being excited about putting down roots in their native Scotland.

"I am sure fans will love what Shed have planned - it will remain the show our audience love. Alongside River City, the arrival of Waterloo Road establishes Scotland as a home of mass drama production and I am excited about the many new Scottish developments coming down the track.

"I would like to pay tribute to Rochdale and the local community who have taken the hit series to their hearts over the past seven years and saw it triumph at this year's National TV Awards to win 'Most Popular Drama'."

Waterloo Road's return to screens next month will see new headmaster Michael Byrne, played by Scottish actor Alec Newman, begin to make his mark on the school following the departure of Amanda Burton's character Karen Fisher.

Waterloo Road star Rebecca Ryan has criticised the show's forthcoming move to Scotland, branding the decision a "massive shame".

The actress, who is currently filming her final scenes as Vicki MacDonald, spoke out following the news that the drama will be leaving its home of Rochdale next year.

Yesterday, the BBC announced that an "explosive" storyline airing in early 2012 will result in a group of existing teachers and pupils setting up a new independent school in Scotland, which will also use the Waterloo Road name.

Ryan told the Manchester Evening News: "This is a massive, massive shame. It will change the whole dynamic of the show and people know Waterloo Road as a northern school. The show will not be the same and it will not have the same appeal to the viewers.

"Most of the cast, especially the pupils, are based in the North and it has been very handy for them. People who are based in London are also only two hours away so the move to Scotland will be massive for everyone involved."

Rochdale council's deputy leader Peter Williams also questioned the decision, claiming that it will prove "detrimental" for young actors in the North West of England.

Williams told the newspaper: "I am disappointed that they have decided to move the show and I am not sure how it will function. The idea they have come up with is like bringing Bobby Ewing back in Dallas. It is a TV programme based in Rochdale and in the long term it will have a detrimental effect on the opportunities for young actors from the North West."

The BBC has made its decision as part of an ongoing plan to produce more programming in Scotland. Meanwhile, the show's production company Shed yesterday said that Waterloo Road has "outgrown" its present site in Rochdale.

^ I wonder will she return to Shameless or Emmerdale now

Waterloo Road star Philip Martin Brown has confirmed that he is hoping to stick with the show following its move to Scotland.

The actor has played the role of strict English teacher Grantly Budgen since the drama's first series, but the news that Waterloo Road will be leaving its home of Rochdale next year has led to speculation over the future of the current cast.

Yesterday, it was announced that a surprise storyline due to air in early 2012 will result in a group of existing pupils and teachers setting up an independent school in Scotland, which will also use the Waterloo Road name.

Brown wrote on Twitter: "WR north of the border will be great - just wait and see. That's a promise! The show always reinvents itself and keeps fresh for that. I'm excited!"

He added: "I hope to stay with the show but can never be sure until I'm in the breakfast queue on the 1st day of filming!"

Waterloo Road bosses have confirmed that the search for the show's new set will begin next week following the news that the programme is leaving Rochdale.

Yesterday, it was announced that the BBC drama will be filmed in Scotland from next year, but the exact location for the show's new home has yet to be found.

Bosses at Shed, the production company behind the programme, have now told Herald Scotland that scouts will soon be sent out to find a disused school or office building which will become the new Waterloo Road.

"The show is about a community so we will be looking for somewhere that has got that feel to it," Shed's chief executive Eileen Gallagher explained. "It is not a gritty urban drama, so we will need somewhere that has some greenery.

"It is all shot on location and we are looking for a school or an office building that can double as one. Our last location was a school in Rochdale and it was crumbling, so we hope the new one will be more high-tech and modern because that is what schools are like nowadays."

As revealed yesterday, an "explosive" storyline is being planned to explain the move. The plot will result in a group of existing pupils and teachers setting up a new independent school in Scotland, which will also use the Waterloo Road name.

Gallagher added: "The story will transfer to Scotland, but will feature the same teachers and pupils, although new characters will also come in. It will feature more Scottish actors."

Waterloo Road's first episodes to be set in Scotland will air from September 2012.

Last edited by alan45; 16-02-2012 at 07:31.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Waterloo Road's Alex Walkinshaw has said that his character Jez is \"under a lot of pressure\" in the opening episodes of the new series.

Ex-Bill star Walkinshaw revealed that the PE teacher is the prime suspect in the hit-and-run on headmaster Michael Byrne (Alec Newman).

\"Since Michael's hit and run all fingers are pointed at Jez,\" he told What's on TV. He feels under a lot of pressure and is very frustrated.

\"Everyone he works with at school sees him as the main suspect. He thinks they should come out and say it instead of gossiping behind his back.\"

Explaining why Jez will continue to lie about his alibi, the actor said: \"He told Sian (Jaye Jacobs) he was at the gym, as he doesn't want her to know he was at Janeece's apologising for a drunken pass he made at her! Even though it was innocent he wants to draw a line under the whole thing and move on by making his marriage his priority.\"

Asked why Jez is so keen to return to Waterloo Road, Walkinshaw added: \"He goes back to work because he wants to see for himself that the affair between Michael and Sian is over.

\"He also comes back to prove a point to Michael that he's the bigger man. Jez thinks 'I'm going to be professional, but I'm also keeping my beady eye on you Michael!' There's definitely trust issues at play for Jez.\"

Waterloo Road returns next Wednesday (February 22) at 7.30pm on BBC One.
    already posted 2 posts higher http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/s...*******)/page2

Waterloo Road star Philip Martin Brown has revealed that fans can expect an "emotional rollercoaster" for his character Grantly Budgen in the show's new series.

A new storyline on the BBC One drama will see Grantly clash with dinner lady Maggie Croft, before their spark takes a romantic twist as they develop feelings for each other.

The possibility of a new relationship puts Grantly in a difficult position as he must also consider his wife Fleur, who has Alzheimer's.

Teasing the Grantly and Maggie plot, Brown told TV Choice: "I can tell you that their rivalry develops. It's the whole 'will they, won't they'? They spark off one another, and Melanie Hill - who plays Maggie - is great fun."

He continued: "The next ten episodes are an emotional rollercoaster for him. At some points he's like a desperate man, and then he's like a monkey up a tree and all excited."

Brown also reiterated his desire to be part of Waterloo Road's eighth series, which will see the programme move to Scotland.

He said: "I've been asked to go, so all being well I'll be there for the first day of filming."

Waterloo Road returns on Wednesday, February 22 at 8pm on BBC One.

Cool Mark Benton - Chalky in Waterloo Road Interview

Waterloo Road's Daniel 'Chalky' Chalk finally loses patience with Janeece Bryant in tonight's (September 20) episode of the show, giving her some home truths over her recent attitude towards motherhood.

When Janeece (Chelsee Healey) takes advantage of Chalky by asking for his assistance with childcare once again, he can't help but feel that she isn't putting Cheryl first - and eventually struggles to keep quiet over his concerns…

Digital Spy recently chatted to actor Mark Benton, who plays Chalky, to hear more about the storyline, his character's future and life at Waterloo Road in general.

How well have you and the show settled into Scotland?
    "Very well, really! The internal workings of the show are pretty much the same as they were in Manchester. We've had some new people come on board, but I always think the addition of new characters strengthens the programme.

"It's all been pretty easy. Obviously there were some teething problems with getting everything up and running, because it's such a big show. But hopefully people are still loving it as much as they were before."

Was making the move along with the show a tricky choice to make?
    "To be honest with you, because I live on the south coast, it made very little difference. In fact, Glasgow is an easier travel for me because I can fly up and down. It wasn't a big issue for me - it was more of an issue for the guys who live in Manchester. Being away from home is pretty much the same wherever you are, really!"

A lot of your scenes this series have involved Chalky and Janeece. How do you define their relationship?
    "It's a difficult one, because from the very start Chalky really liked her, but then she said he was too old! Despite that, they still remain close friends.

"I think Chalky's such a soft character sometimes, so Janeece tends to take him for a ride. It's not necessarily in a nasty way, but I think she tends to take him for granted a lot, while he's just happy to be close to her."

Things take a turn for the worse between them in the next episode. What can you tell us about that?
    "Well, Janeece thinks she's got the chance of a really good job, so she basically takes the mickey out of Chalky and keeps asking him to babysit Cheryl while she's busy. Chalky has a really close relationship with Cheryl, and he starts to realise that he really does want to be a parent. That's why he starts to get angry with Janeece, because he thinks she's not necessarily taking as much interest in Cheryl as she should be.

"Obviously Janeece has got her own reasons, but it gets quite dramatic between them. Chalky really wants to tell her off, I suppose! He's angry with her - and I don't want to give too much away, but it's quite an interesting finale to their relationship."

This story all builds up to Janeece's departure from the show next week. How did you feel about saying goodbye to Chelsee?
    "I do miss her on set. Janeece is such a big character, and Chelsee is a good laugh. She's great to be around, and I had an awful lot of scenes with her, so it's a big loss really! But I think Chelsee was ready to leave and move on to other things."

Chalky can sometimes be a bit of a loner, so how will he cope without Janeece around?
    "To be honest with you, without giving away what happens, I think he'll cope quite well! I don't want to spoil any storylines, but with everything that happens when Janeece actually leaves and afterwards, it's a very positive outcome for Chalky."

We've heard that you've been filming some scenes with Tommy Lawrence Knight from The Sarah Jane Adventures. Have you enjoyed that?
    "Definitely - he's great. Basically, what happens when Janeece leaves is that Chalky realises that he wants to be a dad. To move it forward, he wants to try and foster someone, so there could be a relationship building between Chalky and Tommy's character, Kevin.

"Tommy is a wonderful actor, really brilliant. He's fun to work with as well. It's been a real joy for me - we've had some dramatic stuff, and some really touching stuff too."

Did you have a teacher like Chalky at school?
    "I didn't have anybody who's directly like Chalky, because I don't know how long someone like Chalky would actually last in a proper school! But I think he's parts of different teachers that I had, amalgamated into one.

"It's amazing how many people talk to you and say, 'That was like my English teacher!' or 'My Geography teacher was like that!' So certainly teachers like him exist. I've always thought that Chalky is a brilliant mathematician and a great mind, but he finds it difficult communicating. I'm sure there are teachers like that around."

Do you share any similarities with your character?
    "We both wear glasses, and apart from that, I would say there is very little in common! I'm terrible at maths. I suppose we probably both have a terrible dress sense. I'm also a softie like Chalky is - but perhaps not quite as much as him."

Who are your best friends on set?
    "It's going to sound really corny, but it's such a lovely group of people at Waterloo Road. It's a great crew as well, so it is like a big family. I wouldn't like to pick anybody out in particular."

Looking back over your time at Waterloo Road, do any stories or episodes stand out as your favourites?
    "You haven't seen them yet! All of my favourites are still coming up. There's Chelsee's leaving episode, and my favourite episode is one that's coming up with Tommy. It's probably Chalky's best episode, so the best is yet to come."

What kind of a reaction do you get for the role of Chalky?
    "It's funny, because once you join Waterloo Road you notice that a lot of kids are starting to recognise you. That's a new one, because most of my work has previously been grown-up TV. It's nice and it's funny when kids recognise you and it's a very different kettle of fish to adults, because they have very little tact! They don't hide the fact they recognise you very well, so it's quite funny."

You played Eddie on Early Doors and a lot of our readers were fans of the show. Do you think it could ever return for a special or another series?
    "Who knows? I know that everyone who worked on that show would jump at the chance, because we all loved it and we're still all very good friends, so never say never.

"I guess as time goes on it's looking more unlikely, but it's one of those shows that doesn't seem to go away - a lot of people still love it, still watch it and when they see you on the street, they ask if you're going to do any more. I'd say start a petition to get Craig [Cash] and Phil [Mealey] to do some more, because many people loved it and we loved it too."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information