Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shocking news for Tanya

© BBC
    EastEnders' Tanya Jessop had a huge year on the show in 2011 with high-profile storylines including her big Walford wedding with builder Greg, subsequent affair with ex-husband Max, and most notably the challenging times she faced after being diagnosed with cervical cancer.

In real life, meanwhile, Digital Spy readers last month voted in their thousands to name Jo Joyner as 2011's 'Best Soap Actress' in recognition of her portrayal of Tanya.

Here, in an exclusive interview, Jo chats to us about the reader poll result and what's to come for Tanya in the coming weeks.

Congratulations on being voted our readers' top soap actress of the past year!
    "Thank you - I'd like to say thanks very much to everyone who voted. I really value the opinion of the Digital Spy readers, because they're the best judges - they're the ones who are always watching and have been with the show for a long time. It's a real privilege."

It's been a big year for you on the show, so how would you sum it all up?
    "I'd say the cancer storyline has been the main thing for me in the past 12 months - it has been all-consuming and most of my time has been spent on it, because EastEnders gave the story quite a long time to build and the viewers have been on the journey with Tanya.

"Before that, Tanya was having an affair with Max and getting back together with him, and I even had a wedding at the beginning of last year. It's definitely been a big year - I've gone from the extremes of a big soap wedding with all the trappings, to Tanya being incredibly ill."

What kind of a reaction have you had from viewers over Tanya's cancer storyline?
    "I've had some really great feedback about how awareness of smear tests and cervical cancer has been brought back to the forefront again. That's what the BBC and everyone here hopes for when we go for a big storyline like this - that it becomes an educational tool and awareness is raised. I've also spoken to people who are going through the illness who have found Tanya's story to be really positive and a real relief.

"As well as that, I had some more great feedback when I met a woman from Macmillan Cancer Support who was working with the Government. They did two studies focusing on how women with cervical cancer felt about going in for chemotherapy and radiotherapy - one took place before Tanya's story had started, and the other took place afterwards. She told me that in the second study, the reaction was so much braver and more positive - people knew that they might not lose all of their hair and that there's a really good chance of survival. I think that's a really great thing."

How is Tanya feeling about everything at the moment?
    "Well, Tanya has confided in all of her family now - and previously it had been a lot for her and Lauren to carry on their own. Things are a lot easier for her now as she has so much more support. She can ask people for help with the salon and the kids now, which is great."

There's always lots of magazine speculation about where Tanya's story could go next, including recent suggestions of a 'deathbed wedding' or 'Max killing Tanya to end her suffering'. What's your take on all of the wild rumours?
    "I think there's bound to be stuff like that - it's a soap, so people want the extreme spectacle! But actually, EastEnders have been really keen to stick to the truth of the situation, which is that cervical cancer has a great survival rate when it's caught early.

"Hopefully the outcome will be positive for Tanya - she's having the treatment, she's feeling a bit better now and she's coming out the other side of it. Even if things did take a turn for the worse, I think it's extremely unlikely that there would be a mercy killing or anything like that."

We've seen Tanya reunite with Max, but does she still have insecurities when it comes to their relationship?
    "There's massive insecurities there, and I think it's going to be really interesting to explore that over the next couple of months, as we're filming it at the moment. From my research, I did discover how invasive the treatment can be for cervical cancer. So I spoke to the storyliners and we talked about how very often in a soap, somebody will survive cancer and then it all gets forgotten about. But when I spoke to survivors, I heard that the side-effects from chemotherapy and radiotherapy are quite big - and people can be left with life-long issues because of the treatment.

"Because of the type of cancer that Tanya's got, those issues will inevitably affect her sex life with Max and their relationship. Tanya's relationship with Max has often been based on how she needs to keep him on his toes, as she fears that he could stray at any second. But Tanya's not feeling like the same woman at the moment, so I think it'll be quite sad to watch."

How are things between Tanya and her mum Cora at the moment?
    "I think that now we've explored all of the history with Tanya's father, the two of them are in a new territory. Cora can sometimes be distant and cold, but you have to remember that they hadn't spoken for a long time. At the moment, because of Tanya's illness, Cora is being supportive and quite 'mummy' - but there's always the possibility that things could take a turn for the worse with their relationship, so I think that could change."

We're also currently seeing Lauren go off the rails a bit. How does Tanya cope with that?
    "At first, Tanya wasn't really aware of it as much as she should have been. It amazes me when people say that Tanya is a great mum, because so often she just doesn't see what's right under her nose when it comes to her kids! Lauren's problems are news to Tanya and Max - and Tanya feels incredibly guilty about it.

"Now that Tanya is coming to the end of her treatment and hopefully she'll be okay, it's time for her to take a look around her and see what's changed. She's been in this 'cancer bubble', but now she sees that she's been neglecting some of the people around her."

Tanya will also soon lose her best friend, as Jane is leaving the Square again…
    "It's awful! Laurie Brett has already filmed her final scenes and I miss her hugely, and Tanya definitely misses Jane. Tanya has also lost Rainie in the past couple of months, so a lot of the females in her life are leaving. I think she needs to get close to Bianca or Carol or somebody, because she's short on a female friend!"

Are you enjoying having Derek in the Branning clan now?
    "Jamie Foreman is fantastic - I played his mistress years ago in a show called Family. So when they said that the new Derek Branning would be Jamie, I just thought he was a perfect choice.

"And Tanya definitely has issues with Derek, as he had a fling with Rainie at her wedding, when Rainie was only 17 and a bit of a drunk. As far as Tanya's concerned, Derek took advantage of her sister. And who knows, he might have tried to take advantage of Tanya in the past. He's a wrong'un and she's not keen!"

Do you think there's still some secrets to be revealed about the time that Max spent with Derek away from the Square?
    "Of course there will be - and it makes me sick just thinking about it! I think that's another reason why Tanya doesn't like Derek - she knows that Max was with him when he was missing. Tanya knows damn well that Derek will know some secrets and that they'll be about Max - because Max always has secrets! That'll be eating away at Tanya as we speak."

How did you feel about being involved in Pam St Clement's final episode recently?
    "It was really lovely and a very emotional time for everybody on the set, as she's such an icon. Pam did some lovely work and in her final days on set, there was a lovely feeling because she'd requested particular directors and crew to work on her final block. It was a real privilege to play a part in Pat's final episode. Funnily enough, I hadn't really worked much with Pam in the time that I've been at EastEnders, so that was the most that we'd ever worked together."

Would you like to see more from Lorna Fitzgerald, who plays Abi, this year?
    "I think it's going to be an exciting year for Lorna. She's been a natural on the show ever since she was younger, and I think she's one of our best actresses. What's lovely about this year is that she'll be doing her GCSEs, and then hopefully once that's out of the way, she can get something that's a bit heavier and a bit bigger. She'll be old enough to work longer hours, so I think they'd be mad if they didn't give her something to sink her teeth into at some point this year."

How do you feel about Jacqueline Jossa, who plays Lauren, being up for the 'Best Newcomer' prize at the National Television Awards?
    "It's fantastic - we're all so proud. I think Jacqueline has done a brilliant job and she's great to work with. We'd be so thrilled if she won, because she totally deserves it."

Do you think EastEnders also has a good chance for the 'Best Serial Drama' prize?
    "I hope so - we've got so many great families in EastEnders at the moment. We've got the Masoods, the Brannings and the Mitchells - so there's some very strong characters and fabulous families. I think we cover every generation really well, so I think we should win!"

How long would you like to stay on EastEnders for?
    "I'm really, really happy here. Hopefully I'll be around for this next year, and I'd love to be able to stay for a long time, actually. The practicalities are that I'd love to be with my kids a bit more as well, so who knows? But at the moment I'm extremely happy, as I'm in a great family on a great show!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dutchgirl (18-01-2012)

EastEnders fans will see Max and Tanya's relationship come under strain next week as the pressure of their current situation begins to take its toll.

With Valentine's Day coming up, all is not well between the couple as they seem distant and are failing to communicate with each other properly.

Tanya has received the date for her next scan, and it's her mum Cora (Ann Mitchell) who realises that she's scared of never feeling like a woman again due to her battle with cervical cancer.

© BBC

Meanwhile, Max (Jake Wood) chooses to confide in Jack (Scott Maslen) over his own feelings, confessing that he's struggling with the new dynamic of his relationship - and fears that he and Tanya aren't working without the usual passionate spark between them.

When Valentine's Day does arrive, things get worse as Max and Tanya have to spend the evening eating fish and chips at home following a mix-up with their reservation at the Argee Bhajee.

Later, when Max innocently suggests that Tanya should take her cardigan off, she becomes self-conscious and heads to bed alone.

Jo Joyner, who plays Tanya, first spoke about these developments in her interview with Digital Spy last month, saying: "There's massive insecurities [between Tanya and Max], and I think it's going to be really interesting to explore that over the next couple of months… Tanya's relationship with Max has often been based on how she needs to keep him on his toes, as she fears that he could stray at any second.

"But Tanya's not feeling like the same woman at the moment, so I think it'll be quite sad to watch."

With recent rumours that fans should watch out for Max's wandering eye in the coming weeks, is Tanya right to be worried?

EastEnders airs these scenes on Monday, February 13 and Tuesday, February 14 on BBC One.

EastEnders star Jo Joyner has insisted that she doesn't find it too difficult to switch off from her emotional storyline.

The actress's character Tanya Jessop has been battling cervical cancer over the past few months after being diagnosed last summer.

Joyner, reflecting on the plotline, told the Daily Star: "Rather than it making me depressed after filming those difficult scenes, I tend to go home relieved that it's not my life.

"I go home and laugh even more hysterically than I would normally because of what's happening to Tanya.

"Saying that, my husband doesn't agree. He thinks I carry it all more than I think I do.

"He says I come back miserable, but once I've put the kids in the bath and had a laugh, then I feel good again."

EastEnders viewers will see Tanya's relationship face further problems in the coming days as her partner Max (Jake Wood) struggles with the lack of passion between them.

EastEnders star Jo Joyner has warned that her character Tanya Jessop's troubles may not be over once she gets the all-clear from cancer.

Tanya and her loved ones receive heartwarming news next week as an MRI scan reveals that her treatment has been successful.

However, Joyner told Inside Soap that EastEnders will explore the aftermath of Tanya's illness in the episodes to come.

"Tanya's overwhelmed by the news," she explained. "I talked to the story team about this, because I think it's really important to emphasise that this isn't the end of it all for Tanya. You never really get the all-clear from cancer - she's just clear of it for now.

"The treatment Tanya's undergone has really taken a toll on her. And I think at the back of her mind, she will always be worrying about the possibility of the cancer coming back. She's moving on to the next phase of her life now - and that's going to be equally scary."

[IMG]vhttp://i1.cdnds.net/12/09/300x225/soaps_eastenders_4390_4.jpg[/IMG]
    © BBC

© BBC

Viewers will see Tanya initially struggling to stay cheerful as her family celebrates around her.

Joyner added: "Tanya can't work out why she doesn't feel like celebrating. But then she realises it's because she's scared her cancer might come back - she's worried that she might jinx it. That's just something she's got to get her head round and learn how to deal with."

EastEnders fans will see Tanya get her MRI scan results on Thursday, March 15 at 7.30pm on BBC One.
    Last edited by alan45; 07-03-2012 at 17:33.

'EastEnders' Jo Joyner talks Tanya, Max, awards - interview

EastEnders fans see Tanya Jessop's troubles with partner Max Branning come to a head next week as she is finally honest with him about her fears.

As Tanya was given the all-clear from cervical cancer a few weeks ago, Max (Jake Wood) is keen to start moving their relationship forward again in the coming days. However, he's in for a shock as Tanya reveals exactly why she has been shying away from him.

In real life, meanwhile, Jo Joyner - who plays Tanya - has secured a string of nominations at this year's British Soap Awards, receiving nods for 'Best Actress', 'Best Dramatic Performance', 'Best On-Screen Partnership' for her scenes with Jake Wood and 'Best Storyline' for Tanya's cancer.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Jo for a catch-up chat about all things Tanya.

Congratulations on your British Soap Award nominations! How does it feel to have had so much recognition this year?
    "It's a bit nerve-wracking, actually! I'm not particularly used to it and I certainly wasn't expecting it. Because I've been nominated for a few, I suppose I feel a bit of pressure to at least get something!"

It'll be a big night for the Brannings as Lorna Fitzgerald (Abi), Scott Maslen (Jack) and Jamie Foreman (Derek) are all up for prizes too…
    "I know, I'm really proud of them and I think the nominations are all well-deserved. Obviously Scott is the sexiest male on telly! I'm really thrilled for Lorna, too, because every year at the Soap Awards my one disappointment has been constantly wondering why she isn't up for 'Best Young Performance'. I think Lorna genuinely deserves to win that one, so I'm delighted that she's up for it.

"I also think that Jamie is a fantastic addition to the Brannings - he's an excellent actor, a joy to work with and a lovely, lovely guy. The nominations are all very exciting."

Have you got your dress for the night sorted yet?
    "I have! I'm not particularly glamorous, I'm afraid - I'm not very good at glamour! But I've got a very pretty blue silk dress for the night, which I love."

Looking back over the past year, are there any scenes that you particularly enjoyed or you're most proud of?
    "I've had some really lovely stuff written for me in the past year, without a doubt. I think the material I've most enjoyed doing is possibly the moments in between - so the anxiety before treatments and the little quiet moments.

"I also really enjoyed doing the scene in the kitchen where Tanya told Cora and Rainie that she had helped her father to die. I enjoyed doing that because it was so difficult to film and I was really getting my teeth into it.

"Another scene that stands out is the one where Tanya was packing memory boxes and had written letters for the kids. I thought that was brilliantly written - it was so awful and I was in tears reading it, let alone trying to film it. I think the writers were really great at getting across Tanya's anger over the situation in that scene - especially her fear that Max wouldn't be able to carry on without her. It was such a complex scene and I really enjoyed it."

Now that Tanya's had the all-clear from her cancer, what's your take on the current state of play between her and Max?
    "I think at the moment they're trying to live in a brave new world. Tanya wants to get on with things and seize every moment, because she's never been more aware of how precious life is. But at the same time, she is living with the damage that the cancer treatment can cause.

"I specifically asked the writers to look at that. I felt that very often in soaps, a cancer storyline is forgotten about as soon as somebody gets the all-clear. But chemotherapy and radiotherapy are very extreme treatments, and those have their own consequences on the body. You might be clear of the cancer, but you might be damaged in other ways.

"Because it's such a female cancer that Tanya was having treatment for, it's really hit her at the very heart of her relationship with a husband who already found it hard to stay faithful. So Tanya is in a very vulnerable position with Max at the moment.

"They're struggling with working out how they can be a couple when they're quite nervous and tentative about going back into the bedroom."

How do things develop between them next week?
    "Well, it's now become such a big issue. Tanya hasn't been honest with Max about her feelings when it comes to their sex life. Instead, she's told him, 'The nurses say I should just wait a bit longer'. That wasn't actually the truth, so she's now got herself into a really tricky situation.

"Max eventually becomes aware that not sleeping with Tanya hasn't been under doctors' orders. Max reacts in quite a typical way, asking, 'What do you mean, you don't want me? What have I done wrong?'

"But by the end of the week, they do straighten things out and they enter a new world of trying to go back to the very basics of when they first started seeing each other. Max tries to be a bit more romantic and they reminisce. It's a great way to start their new chapter."

As you mentioned, you came up with the idea to explore these problems for Tanya's relationship following her illness. Did you feel a responsibility to ensure Tanya's journey was portrayed accurately?
    "Yeah, you definitely feel very responsible. I've been at EastEnders for six or seven years, and I don't think I'd ever been up to the story team in all that time. That's because they're very good up there - they come up with the ideas, they're in charge of that department and I do my acting. I've never felt like interfering or getting involved.

"But when you're given the responsibility of a storyline like this, you have to justify it and talk to the press about it, so I needed to make sure that I was doing a good job and that we were coming at the storyline from the right angles. The team here always were - it's just that I had a more personal, emotional side that I could draw on.

"So it was a little bit more collaborative than it normally would be, and I really enjoyed that. They've been very good and humoured me, I suppose!"

Is there anything you would have done differently?
    "Well, the fact is we work on incredibly extreme schedules here - it's not like any other television show that you would ever work on. On a three-parter, you'd do six or seven scenes per day, whereas here we'll film 17 to 20 scenes. You could be in every single one of those scenes, and they could be across eight different episodes.

"That means that a difficulty arises when you get scenes where you're supposed to look terrible due to the cancer treatment, but in the following scene in 20 minutes' time, you're supposed to look fine because you're pretending to your family that you're not having treatment."

Things are looking up for Tanya and Max, but is it true that things are going to get worse where Lauren's drinking problem is concerned?
    "I think things are definitely going to get worse before they get better when it comes to Lauren. This is a storyline that the team decided to do a long time ago, and they've given it a nice longevity. They've been weaving it in gradually and slowly, which I think is always a great thing in our soaps. When they take their time with a storyline like that, you can pretty much guarantee that it's going to come to some sort of climax.

"Hopefully, as it's the BBC, we'll all learn something from that. But at the moment, Tanya is pretty ignorant of how bad things are with Lauren…"

EastEnders star Jo Joyner is to take a break from the soap in 2013, it has been reported.

The British Soap award-winning actress, who plays Tanya Branning on the BBC One show, has asked to take leave when her current contract ends in order to spend more time with her family.

The Daily Star quotes Joyner as saying that her recent plotlines have been "full-on", adding that she told a friend: "The rest of this year is going to be even more dramatic, because the Brannings have got some amazing stuff coming up."

The publication also claims that the actress is keen "to spend some quality time with [her] family".

Joyner is said to have already agreed a return to EastEnders and her character will not be killed off.

An EastEnders spokesperson said on Monday night (April 30) that Joyner "will be taking a break from filming in 2013 but will definitely return".

The news comes just 24 hours after June Brown - who plays Dot Branning - confirmed that she will take a six-month break from EastEnders to spend time working on her autobiography.

EastEnders star Jo Joyner has explained her forthcoming break from the soap, confirming that she wants to strike the right balance between work and her family commitments.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Joyner will be taking time out from her role as Tanya Jessop in 2013. Her departure will follow another dramatic year for Tanya and her on-screen family.

Mum-of-two Joyner has now spoken about the situation for the first time, using her Twitter account to assure fans that she isn't quitting permanently.

She told one follower: "I'm not leaving! Just a little break, some time to be a better mum. It's all about finding a balance."

Later, the actress added: "It will only be a short break to spend time with family, and it's ages off. It's going to be a busy year for the Brannings."

Joyner took home two prizes at the British Soap Awards on Saturday night (April 28).

Thread Information