Thread: 'EastEnders' departure for *******

'EastEnders' departure for *******

EastEnders star Cathy Murphy has left the soap after nearly a year playing the role of Julie Perkins, Digital Spy can confirm.

The actress recently finished filming at the programme and viewers will see Julie depart screens in the coming weeks.

EastEnders bosses recently cast Danielle Harold as Julie and Billy Mitchell's 15-year-old granddaughter Lola Pearce and it is thought that the newcomer's arrival in Albert Square sparks Julie's exit.

As she settles into Walford life, Lola finds herself in trouble but Julie's final storyline sees her take the blame, prompting her departure, according to the Daily Star.

Murphy's EastEnders casting was announced last August and she made her first appearance as Julie in October.

Julie's early storylines saw her reunited with old flame Billy (Perry Fenwick) and leave him stunned with the news that they have an adult son together.

Viewers have also seen her take on various jobs in Walford, including a cleaning role at the Queen Vic and a position at the market.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-06-2011), Dutchgirl (22-06-2011), tammyy2j (21-06-2011)

No great loss there then
    Super Mod

So poor Billy is going to suffer heart ache again

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    So poor Billy is going to suffer heart ache again
    Always the same storyline for him

she irritates me.

Cathy Murphy has revealed how the arrival of Billy and Julie Perkins's granddaughter Lola leads to her exit from EastEnders.

Actress Danielle Harold recently joined the BBC soap as Lola, while Murphy will make her on-screen exit as Julie in the coming weeks.

When Billy and Julie's search for their son leads them to discover that he passed away, Billy can't resist trying to locate the granddaughter he never knew he had.

"They're given Dan's things to go through and find out his daughter Lola is in a children's home. Billy's delighted but Julie is so devastated by her son's death she can't get her head around anything new," Murphy told Soaplife.

Admitting that Julie is horrified when faced with meeting Lola because she "hasn't started the grieving process for her son", she added: "And it doesn't help that the first thing Lola says is, 'My dad hated you!'"
    However, despite initially being rejected by the teenager, Lola steals Billy's wallet and tracks the pair down to Albert Square.

"Julie's freaked out. Lola reminds her of how she was as a youngster, all the aggression and anger and hatred to the world. Julie doesn't want to revisit the way she was," the actress said. "She doesn't want Lola there. She tells Billy she wants it to be just the two of them. She knows Billy will choose Lola because Billy is a softie and he'll do the right thing by her."

Julie's decision to report Lola for running away from the children's home causes further problems between the pair.

"Billy says he can't bear to look at her. Julie's devastated because she adores Billy," Murphy admitted, explaining that her alter ego only wanted to "teach Lola a lesson".

She teased: "A decision has to be made - Julie or Lola. Julie would normally take Lola on but she can't cope right now. She decides to bow out gracefully and not put up a fight. She's lost her mojo!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (04-08-2011)

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Always the same storyline for him

yep good ol Billy no mates,,, with the whinging face,,,:-P

EastEnders star Cathy Murphy has insisted that she is not disappointed over her departure from the soap, explaining that she prefers to "spice up" her career with a variety of roles.

The actress filmed her final scenes as Julie Perkins earlier this year and viewers will see her character bow out from Walford in tomorrow night's episode.

Murphy had been part of the EastEnders cast for a year and previously had two other smaller parts on the show in 1991 and 2005.

Speaking on Daybreak this morning, she explained: "This is my third time, which is bizarre, but this was my longest stint. I did a year and that was great, I've had a real giggle. It's quite gloomy to watch and I think that's why people enjoy it, but it's not like that to work on. It's a real laugh - it's good fun."

Asked about her short stint with the programme, she replied: "I think that's what I do - I love the fact that my job's always different. I've had loads of nice work in my years - I like playing lots of different parts. That's me and that's what I do. I like spicing it up with a bit of theatre here and a film there. I like the variety of it all."

Murphy also revealed that she enjoyed working with her screen granddaughter Danielle Harold, whose feisty character Lola Pearce sparks Julie's exit.

She said: "She's so different [from her character] - she's nothing like Lola!"

Former EastEnders star Cathy Murphy is returning to the stage in a new production of Misery, it has been announced.

The actress, who recently bowed out as Walford's Julie Perkins, will take on the role of crazed Annie Wilkes in an adaptation of Stephen King's classic novel, News Shopper reports.

Misery is being staged at Fairfield Halls in Croydon for a seven-show run next month.

Murphy left the cast of EastEnders in the summer after nearly a year playing Julie, who was Billy Mitchell's love interest.

The 44-year-old later explained that she was happy over her departure as it gave her the opportunity to pursue new parts.

She said at the time: "I think that's what I do - I love the fact that my job's always different. I've had loads of nice work in my years - I like playing lots of different parts. That's me and that's what I do. I like spicing it up with a bit of theatre here and a film there. I like the variety of it all."

Murphy appears in Misery between October 4 and October 8.

This is definitely no loss!! I can't stand Julie, she really bores me!

Thread Information