Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preeya Kalidas (Amira Masood) is returning to EastEnders

Preeya Kalidas

She left town saddled with a secret pregnancy after her husband revealed that he was gay and getting his end away with one of the curry-stirrers at the family takeaway business - but that's enough about her 'Enders character Amirah Shah, because Preeya Kalidas is now launching a pop career with the booty-shaking bhangra-pop of debut single 'Shimmy'. Feeling as curious as a gossipy old woman about to meet a new neighbour for the first time, we hooked up with the glamorous singer/actress for a chat.

What's 'Shimmy' all about then?
    "Well, 'Shimmy' is a vibrant, uptempo, sexy, sassy song that makes you want to dance. The best thing so far has been getting up and performing it - it's getting a great reaction! I'm also getting lots of positive comments on social networking sites so it's very much a case of so far, so good!"

Would you say 'Shimmy' is representative of the Preeya sound?
    "Definitely, but people shouldn't expect every song to be like Shimmy. The album reflects my personality and the influences I had growing up, so it's got different aspects to it, but at the same time there's definitely a theme and it's consistent in its sound."

Is the album finished?
    "No. We're still working on it but it's nearly there. I've lost count how many tracks we've recorded but we've managed to narrow it down to about eleven I think. I went back in the studio a couple of weeks ago actually because I had a day off and I was missing the creative process and we came up with a great track. Creativity is constant so the album won't be finished until it's in my hands!"

Do you know what the next single's going to be yet?
    "Fortunately we've got a choice. I have my favourite and I'm hoping everyone agrees with me, but it's a collective decision so I can't really say yet! The plan as it stands is to release two or maybe three singles and then put out the album."

How involved have you been in the writing side of things?
    "Very much so - I've co-written 70% of the album, and even if I didn't write a song, I chose it myself. I've been working with a couple of producers who are part of the RedOne camp, a Swedish production team called Cage Productions, a really successful producer called Cutfather and Labrinth, who produced both of the Tinie Tempah singles."

Labrinth is very much the man of the moment!
    "But I met him before he was the man of the moment - or should I say 'boy of the moment' because he's only 21! I'm just so proud of him because he's so incredibly talented."

Has your EastEnders connection been more of a help or a hindrance?
    "It's a positive thing because it's a huge show and the viewership is phenomenal. I've had such a fantastic response from the public for playing the character of Amira. A lot of people know me from the show and that can only help - I can talk about what I'm doing now with my music and the EastEnders thing makes it more interesting for people. Nothing's guaranteed though - just because people watched me on the show doesn't mean they'll be into what I'm doing now."

Are you worried people might think you're just having a quick crack at a pop career off the back of your soap stardom?
    "People make assumptions all the time. All I can do is get on with what I'm doing and let them know this isn't something I've decided to do because I was on a soap. Music has always been my passion. I've pursued it in the midst of acting - even when I was on EastEnders I was still recording. It just so happens that while I was on the show I got offered a deal. Now I've left the show I'm pursuing music."

Do you have a favourite 'Enders-affiliated single?
    "It's got to be 'Anyone Can Fall In Love' by Anita Dobson! Oh, and Michelle Gayle's 'Sweetness' is actually brilliant - it's a great pop tune and she had real success."

As a British Asian artist, have you been inspired by Jay Sean's success in the States?
    "Definitely. I've known Jay since he started - I performed with him in Birmingham when I was 16. That's how a long a journey it's been for everyone and it's great to see your peers from that time still doing it and having huge success. Two years ago I hosted the Asian Music Awards and Jay was telling me he'd been dropped by his major label and decided to come back independently. He put a lot of his own money into getting recorded and that definitely inspired me. That week I called up certain producers saying, 'Let's get in the studio', and I paid for the studio time myself."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (28-07-2010)

dont like this at all!
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

Preeya Kalidas has revealed that she would like to become a role model.

The former EastEnders actress released her debut single 'Shimmy' this week and told the Daily Star that she would not be stripping-off to sell her music.

"I like to be sexy but mostly I like to feel classy," she said.

"I'd like to bring a bit of sophistication back to pop and be a positive role model."

The 29-year-old has admitted that she would "never say never" to returning to the BBC soap.

Her dancing is awful in the video

it is like something my 8 year old daughter would make up as a song with her friends.. I can't see pop career going far at all, best she wasn't killed off in EE.. I probably would have prefer her if she did more indian style music instead of trying to be a Rihanna/Beyonce type person.. FAILED!!
    Super Mod

EX-EastEnders star Preeya Kalidas has been dropped by her record label after her debut single flopped.
    Preeya, 29, who quit the soap this year for a pop career, limped to 85 in the charts last month with her track Shimmy.
    She had already recorded album Constant Cravings, which will not now be released by Mercury.
    Bosses had expected the single to do better after Preeya - who played gay Syed Masood's wife Amira - appeared on shows like The National Lottery and Loose Women to promote it.
    But an insider said: "Shimmy got very little radio or TV airplay, which is vital for a first single. Bosses thought the album wouldn't do much better."
    A spokesman for Preeya said: "There was a difference of opinion with Mercury about the direction she should go in. If Mercury is not the right label, there are others who are interested."
    He added that she would feature on grime artist Skepta's new single Cross My Heart next month - and planned to release her next song in November on a different label.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz0x2J4Iyq2

Preeya Kalidas (Amira Masood) is returning to EastEnders

EastEnders' executive producer Bryan Kirkwood has teased that a former character could make a return to the soap.

Asked if there is anyone he would like to bring back to Albert Square, Kirkwood admitted that there is but refused to name the individual.

"I'm going to keep that close to my chest for now," he told ITV's This Morning. When questioned if this was because it "might happen", he responded: "Very possibly."

Since taking over from Diederick Santer, the former Hollyoaks executive has overseen the returns of Jessie Wallace and Shane Richie as Kat and Alfie Moon.

It was also recently announced that Nicola Stapleton will reprise her role as Mandy Salter, 17 years after leaving Walford.

Meanwhile, discussing the characters who will have an "eventful" summer in the programme, Kirkwood said: "Well there's a few actually. The Moon Brothers - Tyler, Michael and Anthony. Eddie has his fair share. Max and Tanya have a bundle of fun over the summer months as well."

If it up to the boses of EE I think they would chose to bring back someone like Grunt, but if ex characters are asked if they're were given the chance would they return, there would be a queue a mile long.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

My guess is someone linked to Kat or Alfie maybe Little Mo or Spencer or Jake perhaps

I like to see Sharon back
    Last edited by tammyy2j; 17-06-2011 at 12:49.

Thread Information