Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contraception

Contraception

I have an appointment on Monday with my GP to discuss contraception. I'm leaning towards the pill simply because I want to control when I have a period. I was wondering what peoples' experiences of the pill are. I have to admit, I don't know an awful lot about contraception so I'm a bit baffled by the benefits and drawbacks of various methods (apart from condoms, there's not a lot to know about them). After getting smashed and having unprotected sex three weeks ago, I've realised I need to take some responsibility myself.

Are there any contraceptives that stop periods altogether but don't cause weight gain? This is a minefield

Thanks
    Thanks CrazyLea

I had a colleague who was having contraception injections every 3 months, she was slim and very happy with not having periods. She was in her late teens/early twenties. I was happy with a coil after having problems with the pill. I did not put on weight with the coil either but had periods .
    Last edited by Perdita; 11-06-2011 at 19:25.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Abigail (11-06-2011)

I was on the pill.. but on a bit of weight but then they discontinue the pill I was using.. Doctor put me on another one (Jasmine I think) and I had massive mood swings and cramps.. had to come off straight away... I know people on the implants who are happy but I also believe there is a patch out there too
    Super Mod

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Abigail (11-06-2011)

This is all so confusing. I've ruled some methods out:

Diaphragm
    Cap
    Vaginal ring
    IUD
    IUS

Which leaves the pill, implant, injection and patch. I'm not sure if I'll be able to take the pill; Brook website says you can't take it if you take anticonvulsants. The patch seems a bit strange to me, I'd be worried about it coming off and not noticing or forgetting to replace it. The implant looks ok, it can cause irregular periods though, which is not what I really want. I wonder if the patch can be used for two months, like the pill
    Thanks CrazyLea

Sorry, I forgot to say. Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate your experiences.
    Thanks CrazyLea

See what your doctor says, get advice

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    See what your doctor says, get advice

I will do. I have an appointment on Monday afternoon
    Thanks CrazyLea

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Perdita (11-06-2011)

Abigail.. there is a very tried and trusted method... 100% affective... STAY AWAY FROM MEN!
    Super Mod

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Abigail (11-06-2011)

I was on the pill for a few years before having Marley I didn't have any problem with it. I kept the packet beside the kettle so it reminded me to take it every day. My sister used to have the injections as she preferred to have them every three months. I don't think not having periods is good for the body. my advise would be about going on the pill it only prevents you from pregnancy not sexual transimitted diseases so even if you are having sex get the guy to wear a sock until you both feel comfortable in a relastionship were you trust him

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Abigail (11-06-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Abigail.. there is a very tried and trusted method... 100% affective... STAY AWAY FROM MEN!
    Where's the fun in that?! I don't think I can stay away from this one even though we've been pretty stupid. I really like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    I was on the pill for a few years before having Marley I didn't have any problem with it. I kept the packet beside the kettle so it reminded me to take it every day. My sister used to have the injections as she preferred to have them every three months. I don't think not having periods is good for the body. my advise would be about going on the pill it only prevents you from pregnancy not sexual transimitted diseases so even if you are having sex get the guy to wear a sock until you both feel comfortable in a relastionship were you trust him
    I know only condoms prevent STDs. I had a test last week and I'm clear. It will be condoms too until we figure out what's happening. He's leaving Stoke on Wednesday for the summer but I'll see him in London for a week at the end of June, beginning of July. Something is bound to happen sleeping in the same room so even if we get caught short (I'll be taking condoms but you never know what might happen to them), I won't have to go through the "what if I'm pregnant" scenario again.

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it. I'll let you know what happens on Monday when I see my GP.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Thread Information