Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brendan Brady (Emmett J. Scanlan)

'Hollyoaks' Emmett Scanlan confirms Brendan exit stunt

The Irish actor, who announced his departure from the teen soap earlier this month, confirmed that he is just about to film his final scenes as the popular villain.

"I was doing some stunts today and I'm looking forward to filming the last bits," he told the Daily Star. "I can't wait for everyone to see it. I think it's going to be a good pay-off for the fans.

"I'm not going to tell you whether I live or die because that would ruin it but it's touch-and-go a couple of times."

Scanlan went on: "Hollyoaks is balls-out telly. We take risks all the time - we do crazy storylines, major stunts. We don't film soaps like any other soaps.

"With Brendan's exit we're going to do some stuff that's never been done before."
    Candidly summing up fans' view on Brendan's exit, he recalled: "Some of them said, 'Don't go' and others said, 'F**k off!"

The 33-year-old also dismissed any suggestion that Hollyoaks will suffer from Brendan's departure.

"That's absolute s**te," he said. "I know the storylines after I leave and they're awesome.

"Hollyoaks is at its highest in two years but it's going to go from strength to strength. I'm delighted."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (28-01-2013)

Emmett Scanlan has filmed his final scenes as Hollyoaks favourite Brendan Brady.

The actor announced his departure from the Channel 4 soap last month and makes his on-screen exit in March.

© Twitter / @EmmettScanlan

Scanlan shaved off Brendan's famous moustache after finishing his last day on set.

"Last day in #Hollyoaks but I dont want to make a big deal out of it,so again..Lets keep this between us,yeah?" Scanlan tweeted.

"I started my #Hollyoaks career with @bronaghwaugh it's only fitting I end it with her #LastScene. Thank you to the stunning @bronaghwaugh memories soon forgotten once I start drinking again...

"To the amazing cast and crew photos of you all wearing tashes,& personal messages universally calling me a 'c***', I am so truly humbled. And to you guys for following, thank you from the bottom of my shrivelled black heart.. Hope yis enjoy the upcoming storyline."

Brendan was at the centre of some of Hollyoaks' most famous storylines, including his relationship with Ste Hay (Kieron Richardson) and feuds with Warren Fox and Simon Walker.

Bronagh Waugh, who plays Brendan's sister Cheryl, has also left Hollyoaks. Her character's exit will tie in with Brendan's and air in the same week.

Scanlan recently promised that Brendan's final storyline will be "epic" and teased that it will involve stunts never seen before on Hollyoaks.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (07-02-2013)

Emmett Scanlan has filmed his final scenes as Hollyoaks favourite Brendan Brady.

The actor announced his departure from the Channel 4 soap last month and makes his on-screen exit in March.

Scanlan shaved off Brendan's famous moustache after finishing his last day on set.

"Last day in #Hollyoaks but I dont want to make a big deal out of it,so again..Lets keep this between us,yeah?" Scanlan tweeted.

"I started my #Hollyoaks career with @bronaghwaugh it's only fitting I end it with her #LastScene. Thank you to the stunning @bronaghwaugh memories soon forgotten once I start drinking again...

"To the amazing cast and crew photos of you all wearing tashes,& personal messages universally calling me a 'c***', I am so truly humbled. And to you guys for following, thank you from the bottom of my shrivelled black heart.. Hope yis enjoy the upcoming storyline."

Brendan was at the centre of some of Hollyoaks' most famous storylines, including his relationship with Ste Hay (Kieron Richardson) and feuds with Warren Fox and Simon Walker.

Bronagh Waugh, who plays Brendan's sister Cheryl, has also left Hollyoaks. Her character's exit will tie in with Brendan's and air in the same week.

Scanlan recently promised that Brendan's final storyline will be "epic" and teased that it will involve stunts never seen before on Hollyoaks.

He looks so young without his 'tash!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (07-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by moonstorm View Post
    He looks so young without his 'tash!
    He looks so different

It's the end of an era for Hollyoaks and its fans next week as the show airs Emmett Scanlan's final scenes in the role of Brendan Brady.

After two and a half years of successful storylines and memorable moments, Brendan's exit plays out in a high-octane week of drama which brings his ongoing plots with Walker, Seamus, Ste and Cheryl to a close.

Emmett recently gave Digital Spy a call from LA to chat about Brendan's departure and his future plans.

You've probably been asked this a million times, but why did you decide to leave Hollyoaks at this point?
    "For me, it was an evolutionary step. When I leave this world, I want to leave behind a box set of different characters. As an actor, you want to make a mark that you can be proud of, that your kids can be proud of, and so on. You want to make a difference. I know that sounds gratuitous and I really don't mean it to be - it's just that I really love acting and I love that side of it.

"When I was a kid, I watched Rocky with Sylvester Stallone. I was on my own in the TV room and that's when I fell in love with acting. I fell in love with the whole process and I fell in love with movie-making. Since that moment, I've always wanted to be the hero, although I always get cast as the bad guy because of my face!

"I think Brendan is a bit of an anti-hero, so with him, I've been half-way there. But now I want to play different characters and if one thing that I do makes someone feel like I did when I watched Rocky that day, then it's worth it.

"I also think I did what I needed to do at Hollyoaks. I've been Brendan Brady for two and a half years, which is a long time. I've been him more than I've been me. I think it was just the right time to explore some new avenues, as I love to take risks. It was a risk to do Charlie Casanova, it was a risk to do Hollyoaks, and it was a risk to leave. But that's the turn-on for me."

Were you pleased with Brendan's exit storyline?
    "Absolutely. I was really excited the first time I heard that there'd be a SWAT team involved! Then on January 31 - my birthday - I stepped on set and there were 16 SWAT team members all armed to the teeth! There were four squad cars, an ambulance, and a helicopter flying above. I remember turning to the director and saying, 'They could have gone bigger, to be honest!' (Laughs.) It was beyond my wildest dreams.

"That was just one scene. I also had to do some car chases and a huge fight with Walker. There's also Seamus, Cheryl and Steven all involved. That week is just so packed with stunts, violence and visceral dialogue.

"I really pray that compliance, because it's a 6.30pm show, are able to keep the truth of what we shot. If they do, I think it will be very good!"

Away from the cameras, did Hollyoaks give you a good send-off?
    "They did, it was much more than I could have ever expected. Myself and Bronagh [Waugh] had a joint leaving party. We wanted to have it in the canteen at work so the real heroes of the show - the guys behind the camera - had the opportunity to be there. The people who work on the show really are as genuine as the day is long. We put a tab behind the canteen, asked them to put on a spread and had a load of drinks.

"There was another party later at a club, which I didn't go to because my daughter came over as a surprise. I think it said in a paper that I was sick, but that wasn't true - my daughter came over so I stayed at home.

"I had really thoughtful leaving presents from all different departments at work, and [executive producer] Bryan Kirkwood also came down and said some beautiful words. Kieron [Richardson] put together a montage of good bits - and some embarrassing bits - featuring myself and Bronagh. And that wasn't just Hollyoaks, by the way - it was everything.

"It also felt only right that after my last scene, I would shave off the 'tache. My on-screen sister shaved one half and my on-screen lover shaved the other half."

Are you still in talks to do another drama with Hollyoaks' production company Lime Pictures?
    "I've been very fortunate as I've been offered a couple of things, but I'm in absolutely no rush to get back into work at the moment. Having said that, if the right part came along, of course I'd do it. Lime have approached me to lead a new series, which is beautiful. How flattering is that - that once you're leaving, your employers offer you another show and want to know what you think.

"Before I left to go to LA, I was given a book to read on the plane over, as it's the idea they want to develop into a series. I hopped onto the plane and I finished the book in 11 hours. It was great, it was dark, it was gritty. I think it has good potential but it's in its infancy stage, so we'll have to wait and see what happens."

The spoiler about Brendan beating up Ste again is a big talking point among the fans at the moment. How did you feel about Brendan returning to violence?
    "I'd ask the fans to be patient when it comes to things like that. The show is giving you snippets and things out of context, so you can fill in the blanks with your vast imaginations. Essentially, Brendan does hit Steven again, but feels immediate remorse.

"There was a point where Brendan would hit Steven, say 'You disgust me' and walk off. I'm not justifying it in any way, shape or form, but on this occasion he is immediately remorseful about the whole thing, and you also have to see it in context.

"The best way to describe that is with the tale of the scorpion and the frog. The scorpion says to the frog, 'I want to go to the other side of the lake, give us a lift'. The frog says, 'I'm not giving you a lift, you'll sting me and I'll die'. He says, 'Why would I sting you? If I sting you, you'll drown and we're both going to die'. They're half-way across the water and the scorpion stings the frog. When the frog asks why, he replies, 'What do you expect? I'm a scorpion!'

"It's just who you are. This is the person that Brendan is. He is prone to violence - it's in his make-up and his DNA. It's his lifeblood and it's shimmering under the surface. He hopes that he can be normal, but he's always prisoner of his own demons. You can't change overnight, so there's always that risk and always that fear with Brendan that he can flip off. It's Brendan Brady - what did you expect?"

Your two best-known roles - Brendan Brady and Charlie Casanova - have been sociopaths. Would you like to play a completely different kind of character now?
    "Well, one of my biggest passions is comedy. I love comedy. I watch Ricky Gervais religiously - the guy's a genius. As I said before, they cast me as a bad guy because of my face!

"Playing a bad guy is great, but of course I want to try something different. I'd like to do something that my daughter can watch and think, 'That's good!' In fact, I did a cartoon film called Thor and his Magical Hammer. It's been released in the States and once it's on DVD, I'm going to give it to my daughter."

Did you have a favourite Brendan storyline?
    "I've had favourite moments. The [Brendan/Amy] teacup scene was a turning point for me, because I wanted to see how weird I could make it and how far I could push Brendan Brady. I remember doing that scene and thinking that I'd gone too far, but through the luck of the Irish, it worked!

"Other favourite moments would be the beginning of the gay domestic abuse storyline, when Steven came out as a character and Kieron came out as himself. That storyline was handled with such tenderness and care. I loved those episodes and the audience reacted to them with such intensity and passion. It was something that we never could have predicted.

"The Dublin episodes were incredibly important to me, too. We had the union between Brendan and Steven, which had been a long time in coming. Yet again, it was dealt with so well and with such care. I also got to bring my British family to my Irish family and we all got to hang out, as my daughter came down. She called 'action', 'cut' and she did continuity! I was grinning from ear to ear, as there were some beautiful moments for me there, and then we had the introduction of Seamus right afterwards.

"Working with Neil and Bronagh in Hollyoaks Later was another highlight. That was so extreme, gritty and in-your-face. I think those episodes could stand alone on any channel, any show, and that's a testament to what the real heroes behind the cameras can do.

"And of course my exit storyline. I haven't seen it yet so that could be a bit pre-emptive, but hopefully it will be as good as we wanted it to be."

Is there anything you'd like to say to the loyal Brendan fanbase on Digital Spy and the forums?
    "They've been incredible. I can't express how much they've made me feel at home, how much they've made me feel wanted and appreciated. I want them to know how appreciated and loved they are in return, and I mean that.

"People in Britain have embraced me with open arms into their homes every evening at 6.30pm. They've never asked for anything, they've always said thank you. I think it's my turn to say thank you to them for their support and their loyalty over the past two and a half years. They've made the journey magical."

It's the end of an era for Hollyoaks and its fans next week as the show airs Emmett Scanlan's final scenes in the role of Brendan Brady.

After two and a half years of successful storylines and memorable moments, Brendan's exit plays out in a high-octane week of drama which brings his ongoing plots with Walker, Seamus, Ste and Cheryl to a close.

Emmett recently gave Digital Spy a call from LA to chat about Brendan's departure and his future plans.

You've probably been asked this a million times, but why did you decide to leave Hollyoaks at this point?
    "For me, it was an evolutionary step. When I leave this world, I want to leave behind a box set of different characters. As an actor, you want to make a mark that you can be proud of, that your kids can be proud of, and so on. You want to make a difference. I know that sounds gratuitous and I really don't mean it to be - it's just that I really love acting and I love that side of it.

"When I was a kid, I watched Rocky with Sylvester Stallone. I was on my own in the TV room and that's when I fell in love with acting. I fell in love with the whole process and I fell in love with movie-making. Since that moment, I've always wanted to be the hero, although I always get cast as the bad guy because of my face!

"I think Brendan is a bit of an anti-hero, so with him, I've been half-way there. But now I want to play different characters and if one thing that I do makes someone feel like I did when I watched Rocky that day, then it's worth it.

"I also think I did what I needed to do at Hollyoaks. I've been Brendan Brady for two and a half years, which is a long time. I've been him more than I've been me. I think it was just the right time to explore some new avenues, as I love to take risks. It was a risk to do Charlie Casanova, it was a risk to do Hollyoaks, and it was a risk to leave. But that's the turn-on for me."

Were you pleased with Brendan's exit storyline?
    "Absolutely. I was really excited the first time I heard that there'd be a SWAT team involved! Then on January 31 - my birthday - I stepped on set and there were 16 SWAT team members all armed to the teeth! There were four squad cars, an ambulance, and a helicopter flying above. I remember turning to the director and saying, 'They could have gone bigger, to be honest!' (Laughs.) It was beyond my wildest dreams.

"That was just one scene. I also had to do some car chases and a huge fight with Walker. There's also Seamus, Cheryl and Steven all involved. That week is just so packed with stunts, violence and visceral dialogue.

"I really pray that compliance, because it's a 6.30pm show, are able to keep the truth of what we shot. If they do, I think it will be very good!"

Away from the cameras, did Hollyoaks give you a good send-off?
    "They did, it was much more than I could have ever expected. Myself and Bronagh [Waugh] had a joint leaving party. We wanted to have it in the canteen at work so the real heroes of the show - the guys behind the camera - had the opportunity to be there. The people who work on the show really are as genuine as the day is long. We put a tab behind the canteen, asked them to put on a spread and had a load of drinks.

"There was another party later at a club, which I didn't go to because my daughter came over as a surprise. I think it said in a paper that I was sick, but that wasn't true - my daughter came over so I stayed at home.

"I had really thoughtful leaving presents from all different departments at work, and [executive producer] Bryan Kirkwood also came down and said some beautiful words. Kieron [Richardson] put together a montage of good bits - and some embarrassing bits - featuring myself and Bronagh. And that wasn't just Hollyoaks, by the way - it was everything.

"It also felt only right that after my last scene, I would shave off the 'tache. My on-screen sister shaved one half and my on-screen lover shaved the other half."

Are you still in talks to do another drama with Hollyoaks' production company Lime Pictures?
    "I've been very fortunate as I've been offered a couple of things, but I'm in absolutely no rush to get back into work at the moment. Having said that, if the right part came along, of course I'd do it. Lime have approached me to lead a new series, which is beautiful. How flattering is that - that once you're leaving, your employers offer you another show and want to know what you think.

"Before I left to go to LA, I was given a book to read on the plane over, as it's the idea they want to develop into a series. I hopped onto the plane and I finished the book in 11 hours. It was great, it was dark, it was gritty. I think it has good potential but it's in its infancy stage, so we'll have to wait and see what happens."

The spoiler about Brendan beating up Ste again is a big talking point among the fans at the moment. How did you feel about Brendan returning to violence?
    "I'd ask the fans to be patient when it comes to things like that. The show is giving you snippets and things out of context, so you can fill in the blanks with your vast imaginations. Essentially, Brendan does hit Steven again, but feels immediate remorse.

"There was a point where Brendan would hit Steven, say 'You disgust me' and walk off. I'm not justifying it in any way, shape or form, but on this occasion he is immediately remorseful about the whole thing, and you also have to see it in context.

"The best way to describe that is with the tale of the scorpion and the frog. The scorpion says to the frog, 'I want to go to the other side of the lake, give us a lift'. The frog says, 'I'm not giving you a lift, you'll sting me and I'll die'. He says, 'Why would I sting you? If I sting you, you'll drown and we're both going to die'. They're half-way across the water and the scorpion stings the frog. When the frog asks why, he replies, 'What do you expect? I'm a scorpion!'

"It's just who you are. This is the person that Brendan is. He is prone to violence - it's in his make-up and his DNA. It's his lifeblood and it's shimmering under the surface. He hopes that he can be normal, but he's always prisoner of his own demons. You can't change overnight, so there's always that risk and always that fear with Brendan that he can flip off. It's Brendan Brady - what did you expect?"

Your two best-known roles - Brendan Brady and Charlie Casanova - have been sociopaths. Would you like to play a completely different kind of character now?
    "Well, one of my biggest passions is comedy. I love comedy. I watch Ricky Gervais religiously - the guy's a genius. As I said before, they cast me as a bad guy because of my face!

"Playing a bad guy is great, but of course I want to try something different. I'd like to do something that my daughter can watch and think, 'That's good!' In fact, I did a cartoon film called Thor and his Magical Hammer. It's been released in the States and once it's on DVD, I'm going to give it to my daughter."

Did you have a favourite Brendan storyline?
    "I've had favourite moments. The [Brendan/Amy] teacup scene was a turning point for me, because I wanted to see how weird I could make it and how far I could push Brendan Brady. I remember doing that scene and thinking that I'd gone too far, but through the luck of the Irish, it worked!

"Other favourite moments would be the beginning of the gay domestic abuse storyline, when Steven came out as a character and Kieron came out as himself. That storyline was handled with such tenderness and care. I loved those episodes and the audience reacted to them with such intensity and passion. It was something that we never could have predicted.

"The Dublin episodes were incredibly important to me, too. We had the union between Brendan and Steven, which had been a long time in coming. Yet again, it was dealt with so well and with such care. I also got to bring my British family to my Irish family and we all got to hang out, as my daughter came down. She called 'action', 'cut' and she did continuity! I was grinning from ear to ear, as there were some beautiful moments for me there, and then we had the introduction of Seamus right afterwards.

"Working with Neil and Bronagh in Hollyoaks Later was another highlight. That was so extreme, gritty and in-your-face. I think those episodes could stand alone on any channel, any show, and that's a testament to what the real heroes behind the cameras can do.

"And of course my exit storyline. I haven't seen it yet so that could be a bit pre-emptive, but hopefully it will be as good as we wanted it to be."

Is there anything you'd like to say to the loyal Brendan fanbase on Digital Spy and the forums?
    "They've been incredible. I can't express how much they've made me feel at home, how much they've made me feel wanted and appreciated. I want them to know how appreciated and loved they are in return, and I mean that.

"People in Britain have embraced me with open arms into their homes every evening at 6.30pm. They've never asked for anything, they've always said thank you. I think it's my turn to say thank you to them for their support and their loyalty over the past two and a half years. They've made the journey magical."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

lizann (13-03-2013)

fantastic well written and brillantly acted exit he will be missed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (22-03-2013)

Former Hollyoaks star Emmett Scanlan has revealed that his new role couldn't be further removed from his soap character Brendan Brady.

Scanlan will play the part of DC Glen Martin in BBC's new crime drama The Fall, which starts on Monday (May 13). He will star alongside former Hollyoaks actress Karen Hassan.

Speaking to The Irish Sun about the part, Scanlan said: "It's a bit strange. In the film Charlie Casanova I played a sociopath, in Hollyoaks I was Brendan the psychopath - now I'm the good guy.

"I don't really mind being typecast as long as I'm cast. But it's great to try something different."

Scanlan also admitted that he can't believe he is working with his co-star Gillian Anderson.

He said: "She's beautiful and a brilliant actress to watch. When we were filming, there was one scene where Gillian has a monologue and she's talking about serial killers.

"I just caught myself and thought, 'This is Scully from The X-Files. I can't believe it'. I had to pinch myself to make sure it was all real."

Claire Cooper and husband Emmett Scanlan are expecting their first baby

Thread Information