Thread: 'EastEnders' confirms Mercy departure

'EastEnders' confirms Mercy departure

EastEnders bosses have today confirmed that Mercy Olubunmi will be leaving Albert Square later this year.

The Walford student, played by actress Bunmi Mojekwu, will bow out on screen in the summer after a year as a regular cast member on the show.

Mercy is currently caught up in an immigration drama after the UK Border Agency threatened to deport her for outstaying her visa.

Since then, the character has accepted a proposal of marriage from best friend Fatboy Chubb (Ricky Norwood), who is determined to keep her in the country but also harbours real feelings for her.

Details of Mercy's departure are being kept under wraps, so it is currently unclear whether her exit will tie in with the current plotline or a different story altogether.

An EastEnders spokesperson confirmed to DS this afternoon that Mercy will leave screens in July.

They added: "Bunmi has done a great job of bringing the role of Mercy to life and we wish her every success in the future."

Mercy was first introduced as a cast member on internet spinoff EastEnders: E20 in January 2010. Initially, she was the only character who did not move over to the main show, but Mojekwu later landed an EastEnders deal and began making regular appearances from May.

As Leon Small (Sam Attwater) and Zsa Zsa Carter (Emer Kenny) have also left EastEnders, the news means that Fatboy will be the only E20 star to remain in the main programme.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (13-05-2011)

Shame she is leaving, I like her with Fatboy

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dutchgirl (11-05-2011), JustJodi (13-05-2011), lizann (13-05-2011)

Don't like her, don't know why, her nan seems ok

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Shame she is leaving, I like her with Fatboy
    Me too there is far worse characters than her on the show

I didn't like her at first, but she grew on me. Hope it doesn't cause Fatboy to leave as well when there are no E20 members left in Albert Square

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    I sort of liked Mercy .. ah well,, if the story line ties in with immigration, I am sure they have left the door open for her if she should want to return ??? She was not a bad character really, there are far worse ones....

Former EastEnders star Bunmi Mojekwu has ruled out returning to her role as Mercy Olubunmi.

The actress bowed out from the Walford soap in the spring after a year as a regular cast member. She had previously appeared on the show's internet spinoff EastEnders: E20.

Speaking of her departure, Mojekwu told Kent News: "Leaving was kind of a mutual thing - it was coming towards the end of the character's journey. I felt it was time for me to come off the back of this and challenge myself before I became a bit too rooted in the show.

"I didn't want that to happen, so I definitely feel comfortable coming out of EastEnders now. I have gained enough exposure and I want to move on to bigger things."

She continued: "I have a couple of things lined up - we are in talks at the moment, so I am crossing my fingers and waiting for the green light.

"Although I love EastEnders, I wouldn't return - I am not a believer in going backwards. I like to go forwards and that chapter is definitely closed, but I had a great time there."

Mercy's EastEnders departure saw her leave husband Fatboy Chubb (Ricky Norwood) heartbroken when she decided to return to Nigeria.

Thread Information