Thread: Malcolm Kennedy

Malcolm Kennedy

Benjamin McNair has signed up for a return stint on Neighbours, reprising his role as Malcolm Kennedy.

The actor makes his screen comeback in mid-July as Karl and Susan's eldest child pays a visit back to Ramsay Street amid a troubled time for the Kennedys.

Malcolm decides to return home to Erinsborough to help salvage his parents' marriage, which faces another rocky patch when Susan develops an emotional connection to another man.

Speaking of his return, McNair commented: "It's great to be back. While there have been a few changes and lots of new faces, mum [Jackie Woodburne] and dad [Alan Fletcher] are still the same, so it really is like coming home."

McNair's original stint on Neighbours ran from 1994 to 1997. He later returned for guest appearances in 2002 and 2004 and was also involved in the show's 20th anniversary celebrations in 2005.

Since then, Jackie Woodburne and Alan Fletcher have often called for a comeback storyline for Malcolm.

The character's latest stint will last for four months and McNair will return to filming next week.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (09-05-2011)

I liked him

Who did he marry again on the show?

Benjie McNair (Malcolm Kennedy, 'Neighbours') DS Interview

Neighbours bosses recently unveiled a treat for long-term fans of the soap as they announced that Benjie McNair had signed up for a four-month return stint as Malcolm Kennedy. Malcolm makes his screen comeback later this year amid fresh marital problems for his parents Susan and Karl, which begin when Susan starts to develop an emotional connection to another man. Here, Benjie chats to Digital Spy about being back on Ramsay Street and what's to come for the Kennedys.

Why did you decide to return to Neighbours?
    "It's always good to be in work as an actor and to be asked to come back to Neighbours is a real gift. It's a great place to work and being so familiar with people, it's terrific to see the old faces again as well as meet a lot of new ones."

What brings Malcolm back to Ramsay Street?
    "Malcolm speaks to his parents regularly and senses there is a problem - things are tense between them, and also his siblings agree there is trouble brewing. Malcolm is trying to get to the bottom of it without appearing too nosy. He cares about his parents deeply and wants them to live a life of harmony, so if he can help, he'll certainly try."

Has Malcolm changed much since the last time we saw him, or is he the same old guy?
    "He is very similar. He is still quite assertive in a business sense. He has given up on the project he was trying to force upon Harold's and moved on to working with a large company as an area manager. And being a man of the world, he tends to take things in his stride and has an air of confidence about him."

Is Malcolm surprised to learn that his parents are facing marital problems again?
    "No, he isn't surprised. I think like any marriage they have their ups and downs. It's not a surprise for Malcolm that they have troubles, but it may be a surprise as to where the troubles are coming from. Prior to this, most of the problems stemmed from Karl and his infidelity issues, however this could be something quite different with more unfolding. I can't say any more!"

What's the mood like between Karl and Susan when Malcolm returns?
    "Really, Karl and Susan are treading different paths at the moment - and Karl wants her to tread his path, but Susan is digging her heels in and doesn't want to compromise what is important to her, like caring and nurturing people."

How is Karl feeling about his problems with Susan?
    "I think Karl feels quite justified with his concerns, as he really doesn't appear to have done anything wrong in this instance and his fear would be that Susan may be turning the tables and taking an interest in another person…"

Do you think Malcolm has what it takes to get things back on track for his parents?
    "Of course. Yes, he does have what it takes, although I think it is going to be a challenge for him. He has a lot of compassion for his parents and while sometimes it can be a struggle with his father, as the years have gone by he has grown into the type of person who has the maturity to deal with both sides of the story without necessarily taking sides, but we'll have to wait and see."

What's it like to be working with Alan Fletcher and Jackie Woodburne again?
    "Fantastic. A lot of fun, still the same and in all sincerity, it doesn't feel like I've been away. The first day on set was a lot of fun."

Has Neighbours changed much since you were last on the show?
    "I don't feel it has changed too much. It's still the same successful formula and still going strong. In essence, the show hasn't changed, it still has that same interactive quality that communities have which makes it a very watchable programme."

You've returned to Neighbours a number of times since your original departure in 1997. What is it that brings you back each time?
    "It's a great place to work and I know when I do come back, it's going to be a lot of fun and very enjoyable. I think it's great for the viewers to see how characters have developed and return from time to time. I think that is testament to the strength of the show that a character can return and viewers pick up where they left off. It's a real pleasure."

Along with Susan and Karl, who does Malcolm share scenes with after his return?
    "Gee, pretty much everyone at some stage! Today I filmed scenes with Toadie and Summer. The Kennedys' is a hub of activity with characters dropping in constantly, so I'm sure there's lots more to come."

Four months is a long time for Malcolm to be back, so will we see him get a job nearby? What keeps him in Erinsborough?
    "This is the longest guest role I've done. He is in a position to do what needs to be done work-wise without compromising his main objective, which is to help his parents."

What's going on with Malcolm's relationship with Catherine at the time of his return? Are they still together?
    "All is going well on that front!"

Would you ever consider a more permanent return to Neighbours?
    "As an actor, it's nice to be working and I think all offers need to be considered."

Finally, the news of your return seems to have gone down really well with Neighbours fans. Is it nice to know that Malcolm is so fondly remembered?
    "It's always reassuring to know you are fondly remembered in any arena of life so yes, it's very nice!"

Neighbours welcomes back a face from the past next week as Malcolm Kennedy makes his long-awaited Ramsay Street comeback.

Having heard that all is not well between his parents, Malcolm (Benjie McNair) arrives back in Erinsborough just as the pair are caught up in a row over Susan's growing attachment to Jim Dolan.

Although Susan and Karl both insist that everything is fine between them, Malcolm's not fooled. Can he help to get their marriage back on the right track?

Also next week, Kate Ramsay (Ashleigh Brewer) is still missing Brennan and lets off steam by having a one-night stand with new doctor Rhys Lawson. However, she feels terrible about herself the next day - especially when she can't even remember his name!

Last edited by alan45; 09-08-2011 at 02:37.

wow, Malcolm suddenly looks a lot older.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

He starts an affair with Jade

Neighbours star Benjie McNair has spoken for the first time about his latest return stint, telling fans that it is a "wonderful feeling" to be back on Ramsay Street.

The actor has been back filming in the role of Malcolm Kennedy to help celebrate 20 years of his on-screen family.

Mal's visit to Erinsborough follows the recent returns of the Kennedys' other close family members Libby, Ben and Holly.

Speaking in a behind-the-scenes video with on-screen mum Jackie Woodburne (Susan), McNair commented: "It feels great to be back on the Street. It's like being back home, isn't it? It's like walking through your back yard, through your local street. It's wonderful - it's a wonderful feeling.

"It's not just work, it's walking back into family and friends. It feels great. It feels familiar. I'm very lucky to be able to walk back in and fit right in."

Asked how the show has changed over the years, he replied: "I think the pace of the show has picked up without a doubt, [as well as] having the director on the floor rather than up in the booth.

"I think they're probably the biggest changes. Obviously the turnover of cast, but every cast member that comes in that I've met has just been wonderful as well. And I'm not just being nice - we all have to get along. I think the biggest changes are mostly technical, to be honest with you."

Malcolm was a Neighbours regular between 1994 and 1997, but has returned for a number of guest stints since then. He was last seen on screen in 2011.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

TaintedLove (27-07-2014)

Neighbours star Jackie Woodburne has spoken to Digital Spy about Malcolm Kennedy's upcoming return to Erinsborough, revealing that the storyline will celebrate 20 years of the Kennedy family.

Benjie McNair returned to the set earlier this year to reprise his role as Malcolm, who will be back on screen in a few weeks' time.

When Malcolm pays a visit to his parents Karl and Susan, he has a surprising suggestion which causes them to question their future on Ramsay Street.

The storyline leads to some nostalgia on screen as the much-loved couple start to look back on the highs and lows of their long history in Erinsborough.

Woodburne, who plays Susan, told Digital Spy: "Mal coming back coincides with a milestone for the Kennedys, as they realise that it's 20 years since they arrived on the Street.

"When Mal arrives home, he tries to convince Karl and Susan to perhaps take early retirement and come to live with him and Catherine in London.

"They want Karl and Susan to help them out with the baby they're going to have. Mal and Catherine didn't think they were ever going to have any children, but surprise surprise, Catherine is pregnant and they're a bit overwhelmed! They're hoping that mum and dad can help them out."

She continued: "In amongst that, we get a lot of flashbacks as the Kennedys start talking to their friends, who remind them of various things that have happened over the 20 years. There's some really great flashback moments of all the things they've been through.

"There's also a couple of things revealed to find out whether or not for them Erinsborough really is home."

Neighbours has been airing a busy year for the Kennedys as they have already received visits from four of their other close family members - Libby, Ben, Holly and Zeke.

Susan will also have a big role to play in the show's dramatic tornado episodes when they hit UK screens next week.

N

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (10-09-2014)

Neighbours couple Karl and Susan Kennedy have a big decision to make later this month when their son Malcom turns up in Ramsay Street unexpectedly.

It was announced earlier this year that actor Benjie McNair would briefly reprise the role to help celebrate 20 years of his on-screen family.

Karl (Alan Fletcher) and Susan (Jackie Woodburne) are thrown when Mal turns up on their doorstep, explaining that he is in the country on some impromptu business.

Susan is elated to see Malcolm
    © Channel 5

© Channel 5

Karl and Susan are surprised by Malcolm's arrival
    © Channel 5
    Karl and Susan are surprised by Malcolm's arrival

Malcolm's surprise goes to plan
    © Channel 5
    Malcolm's surprise goes to plan

Karl welcomes Malcolm home
    © Channel 5
    Karl welcomes Malcolm home

However, the real reason for Mal's surprise visit soon comes to light as he goes on to explain to his parents that he and his wife Catherine are expecting a baby and he wanted to tell them personally.

As Mal admits that he and Catherine are both nervous about becoming parents for the first time, he soon drops a bombshell - they would like Karl and Susan to move to London to help them out on a permanent basis.

After much discussion, Karl and Susan have to admit there's more for them in London than there is in Erinsborough, but will they really leave Ramsay Street for good?

Neighbours airs these scenes on Thursday, October 16 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Thread Information