Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Canning

Kyle Canning

Neighbours star Chris Milligan has revealed that he was thrilled when he found out he had landed a full-time contract deal with the soap.

Earlier this year, it was confirmed that Milligan had been promoted to a regular cast member on the programme after playing Kyle Canning on and off since 2008.

Speaking to TV Week about his Ramsay Street success, the actor commented: "It's great to finally get a full-time job. It was originally a six-week guest role and then every couple of months they'd ask me back for another few weeks."

Milligan added that forthcoming storylines are likely to see Kyle looking for a new love interest.

He said: "Any action for Kyle is good action. But deep down he wants a girlfriend - even though he still likes to put on a bit of a show."

Defending his character's edgier side, he continued: "Kyle has a good heart. It's just that growing up, he never had the right people around him to show him the way, so he had to learn for himself."

Milligan's recent promotion comes as the soap loses other male cast members, including Scott McGregor (Mark Brennan) and Erin Mullally (Declan Napier).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (21-03-2011)

I like Kyle.

i kinda like it when soaps ease people in over time. it seems more realistic. for example now Kyle has the job at the car lot it makes sense you would see more of him around Ramsey St. hopefully we'll get a bit more out of the character now, cos he's not really done too much so far!
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

He could be the new love interest for Kate

Cool Christopher Milligan (Kyle Canning, 'Neighbours' Interview on DS

When did you hear that Kyle would become a regular character on Neighbours and what was your reaction?
    "It was in October last year and I was ecstatic. Kyle had been a guest character for nearly three years so it's great to be full-time now and to be able to evolve the character."

When you were in talks about a more permanent role on the show, did the producers tell you much about upcoming storylines?
    "I just had to wait and see, but I know they have a lot in store for Kyle so I'm happy to be guided by the producer and writers."

This week, we see a lot of tension between Brennan and Kyle as they clash over Kate. What are Kyle's feelings for Kate at this point?
    "Kyle has always liked Kate because she is a nice girl and not like the other girls he's had relationships with. But after seeing her get hurt by Brennan, he is very protective. And while he has always liked Kate, he has never wanted to push her into liking him."

As Brennan is quite intelligent and has a successful career, does Kyle worry that he wouldn't be able to compete with him in a fight for Kate's affections?
    "Yes, he knows that Brennan has it over him in terms of intelligence and he knows that Kate is also very smart so he certainly isn't confident about himself on that level!"

We end up seeing Kyle and Brennan team up together when Kyle has some trouble with a dodgy police officer. What can you tell us about the storyline?
    "This is where a corrupt cop tries to extort money from Kyle when he is working in the car yard. Kyle is very scared because this guy means business and is very intimidating, and Kyle doesn't know what to do so he goes to Brennan. At first it isn't easy for them to work together because it's hard for Kyle to seek help off someone he's already had problems with, and he knows how Brennan feels about him - plus it's another cop, so he isn't convinced that Brennan will believe him."

After teaming up, is this a turning point for Kyle and Brennan, or will they be back at each other's throats before too long?
    "I think it is a turning point, and while they won't be worst enemies, they won't be best buddies, somewhere in the middle - particularly when there is a girl involved!"

Moving forward, would you like to see Kyle have a future with Kate or do you think he's better suited to someone else?
    "They would certainly be the nice couple, but I think it would be good for Kyle to be with someone he clashes with."

We know that Scott McGregor, who played Brennan, recently finished filming at Neighbours. Were you sad to see him go?
    "Absolutely, Scott was a really funny guy and got along with everyone, and I was lucky to have the last scene with him on set."

We've heard that Kyle will soon be moving into Number 26, which will become a new share house. Are you excited about this?
    "It's very exciting and the storylines coming up will involve characters that get along with Kyle, but also clash with him so it will be very interesting as well. You'll see different sides of Kyle including a lot of funny stuff."

Now that Kyle is sticking around as a Ramsay Street regular, where can we expect his character to go this year?
    "Well, he needs to get a proper job! He'll start his own business which will bring him into contact with all the residents on the street. And while he is a pretty laid-back guy, you'll find he'll be the unexpected friend to a lot of the characters."

Do you think the writers could ever explore Kyle's background and maybe introduce some of his family?
    "Because Kyle is such an 'out there' character, I think it would be fun to see some of his family and friends. I haven't heard if this is in the pipeline but I'd love it."

Kyle was a bit more of a bad boy when he first joined the show, hanging around with school bully Justin and causing trouble. Have you appreciated the chance to show that there's other sides to the character?
    "It actually all fits together. He started out as the school bully because at that time of life he was immature and trying to stamp his position in the school. Then there was the rafting accident, then he finished school and couldn't find a job, he wanted to change. He didn't want to be that person anymore."

Your co-star and real-life housemate Jordan Smith recently told us that he'd like to work with you more on set. Is that something you'd like as well?
    "Definitely, and while it might be hard to believe, because we do live together we do go through our scenes together and really work on them at home. It would be great to have more scenes together because I know we would be prepared - despite what everyone thinks!"

What are your interests outside of Neighbours?
    "With winter coming on here I'm starting to play indoor soccer and I play tennis once a week with Jordan, Val [Novakovic] and Gemma [Pranita]. I came to Melbourne four years ago to work on The Pacific so I've made a lot of new friends and I always try to catch up with them on the weekends, just the usual stuff."

Neighbours star Christopher Milligan is to take a break from the soap for at least five weeks after suffering an injury while playing football.

The actor, who plays Ramsay Street's Kyle Canning, snapped an Achilles tendon yesterday and is now due to have surgery within the next 24 hours, Channel 5's official Neighbours website has confirmed.

As a result of the incident, show bosses have been forced to rewrite a number of scenes which were due to feature Kyle, who became a permanent character earlier this year.

"We've rewritten some scenes which explain Kyle's absence, and as a former nurse, I'll be monitoring his rehabilitation," Neighbours' executive producer Susan Bower joked.

She added: "It's part of the business. Accidents and sickness happen. You just move to Plan B very quickly."

Reports suggest that Milligan is expected to be in a wheelchair for the next few weeks.

Kym Valentine, who plays Libby Kennedy, is also currently taking a break from Neighbours for health reasons.

Neighbours star Christopher Milligan has opened up over his recent sporting injury, which has forced him to take a break from the soap.

Last month, it was announced that the actor would have to take five weeks off from his role as Ramsay Street's Kyle Canning after snapping an Achilles tendon while playing football.

Speaking about the incident for the first time, Milligan told TV Week: "In the last seconds of the match, I went to turn and run, and just dropped to the ground.

"I thought someone had kicked me from behind, so I turned to yell at them, but no-one was there. That's when I knew something was wrong."

Milligan added that co-stars Jordan Smith (Andrew Robinson), Gemma Pranita (Jade Mitchell), Valentina Novakovic (Natasha Williams) and Jordy Lucas (Summer Hoyland) have been among those supporting him in recent weeks.

"The girls came to visit me in hospital," he said. "Gemma, Valentina and Jordy bought me chocolate and lollies, but they ate them while visiting! Jordan bought me a massive pink teddy bear - I got a couple of looks when leaving the hospital!"

Neighbours bosses have covered Kyle's unexpected absence from Ramsay Street by casting Luke Pegler as his cousin Dane, who has taken over his role in a storyline currently being filmed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

kmmh58 (09-09-2011)

I always find it werid when the cast someone to cover someone role for a while, like they did with Libby

Neighbours star Christopher Milligan has returned to filming at the soap after taking time off due to an injury.

The actor was speedily written out of the show last month after snapping an Achilles tendon while playing football, leading to last-minute storyline changes.

However, programme bosses have now announced that Milligan is back at work and shooting scenes as Kyle Canning for the final episodes of the 2011 season, Channel 5's official Neighbours website reports.

Speaking of his return, Milligan commented: "After a month of virtually sitting on the couch, I'm rapt to be back at work. I just have to pace myself a bit."

Neighbours bosses recently cast Luke Pegler in the role of Kyle's cousin Dane, rushing the newcomer into Erinsborough to explain his relative's absence.

On screen, viewers will see Dane arrive on the street and take over Kyle's room and board in the share house while the handyman visits his sick mother.

Neighbours star Christopher Milligan is enjoying another busy year on screen as his character Kyle Canning remains a prominent fixture in storylines.

In real life, meanwhile, the actor was recently recognised with a nomination for 'Best Daytime Star' at the 2012 Inside Soap Awards, which take place in September.

With more dramas ahead for Kyle in the coming months, Digital Spy recently caught up with Christopher for a quick chat about his awards nod and future storylines.

Congratulations on your nomination for 'Best Daytime Star' at the Inside Soap Awards. How does it feel to be in the running?
    "I'm really rapt, it's very flattering and I'm glad the UK audience is enjoying Kyle because I certainly like playing him!"

How do you rate your chances?
    "To be honest, it's such a privilege and a surprise that I'm even in the running - I'll just settle for the nomination."

Neighbours is also up for the 'Best Daytime Soap' prize, so is there anything you'd like to say in support of the show?
    "We set out to tell stories about this group of crazy and unpredictable characters five afternoons a week which are there to entertain, and if the viewers have as much fun watching the show as we have playing our roles - please vote for us!"

It's been another busy year for you on Neighbours so far. What have the highlights been?
    "Definitely the relationship between Jade and Kyle. It's never steady as she goes, which makes it very interesting to play. I've also loved having Kyle's grandmother on the street with him, and Colette Mann just cracks me up constantly!"

You've recently been working with a young actor named Justin Holborow, who's playing Kyle's cousin Harley. How have you found working with Justin so far? And what can viewers expect from Harley?
    "Justin is an amazing talent for such a young guy and he is going to go far. As for Harley, well, he has a habit of acquiring things without paying for them for a start, which is a bit of an issue! He also fancies himself as a ladies' man and has his sights on one of the local girls, which doesn't go down well…"

Can you tell us what's coming next for Kyle and his gran Sheila?
    "Colette has had a bit of a break from the show doing a play so there isn't a lot coming up, but I know there is a lot in store when she returns."

Do you think there's a chance that the Cannings could become the next big Neighbours dynasty?
    "That would be hysterical. I couldn't think of a better rival for the Kennedys!"

The other big news recently has been Gemma Pranita's announcement that she's bowing out as Jade. How do you feel about her decision to leave?
    "I promise it was nothing I said to her… well, maybe it was! No, seriously, I'm really sorry Gem is leaving, but I understand her motivation to try new things. We have a lot of fun playing tricks on each other and trying to go one better. She got me a beauty recently when she put fake dog poo in my script folder. I'm still trying to top that."

Would you like Kyle to remain single for a while once Jade has gone, or do you think his attentions could turn to Kate?
    "I don't think I'd like to see him go back to his wild days, and I think you can do more with the character when he is in a relationship. Does he pursue Kate? I think that union has been tried and tested but hey, you never know."

With Gemma leaving, are you happy to stick around in Erinsborough for the foreseeable future?
    "Absolutely. While there is a room on Ramsay Street, I'm happy to occupy it."

Can you give us any other hints on Kyle's future?
    "Let's just say that while there will be plenty of tears when Jade finally leaves, it's not from who you expect. You see another side of old Kyle…"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information