Neighbours star Christopher Milligan is enjoying another busy year on screen as his character Kyle Canning remains a prominent fixture in storylines.

In real life, meanwhile, the actor was recently recognised with a nomination for 'Best Daytime Star' at the 2012 Inside Soap Awards, which take place in September.

With more dramas ahead for Kyle in the coming months, Digital Spy recently caught up with Christopher for a quick chat about his awards nod and future storylines.

Congratulations on your nomination for 'Best Daytime Star' at the Inside Soap Awards. How does it feel to be in the running?
"I'm really rapt, it's very flattering and I'm glad the UK audience is enjoying Kyle because I certainly like playing him!"

How do you rate your chances?
"To be honest, it's such a privilege and a surprise that I'm even in the running - I'll just settle for the nomination."

Neighbours is also up for the 'Best Daytime Soap' prize, so is there anything you'd like to say in support of the show?
"We set out to tell stories about this group of crazy and unpredictable characters five afternoons a week which are there to entertain, and if the viewers have as much fun watching the show as we have playing our roles - please vote for us!"

It's been another busy year for you on Neighbours so far. What have the highlights been?
"Definitely the relationship between Jade and Kyle. It's never steady as she goes, which makes it very interesting to play. I've also loved having Kyle's grandmother on the street with him, and Colette Mann just cracks me up constantly!"

You've recently been working with a young actor named Justin Holborow, who's playing Kyle's cousin Harley. How have you found working with Justin so far? And what can viewers expect from Harley?
"Justin is an amazing talent for such a young guy and he is going to go far. As for Harley, well, he has a habit of acquiring things without paying for them for a start, which is a bit of an issue! He also fancies himself as a ladies' man and has his sights on one of the local girls, which doesn't go down well…"

Can you tell us what's coming next for Kyle and his gran Sheila?
"Colette has had a bit of a break from the show doing a play so there isn't a lot coming up, but I know there is a lot in store when she returns."

Do you think there's a chance that the Cannings could become the next big Neighbours dynasty?
"That would be hysterical. I couldn't think of a better rival for the Kennedys!"

The other big news recently has been Gemma Pranita's announcement that she's bowing out as Jade. How do you feel about her decision to leave?
"I promise it was nothing I said to her… well, maybe it was! No, seriously, I'm really sorry Gem is leaving, but I understand her motivation to try new things. We have a lot of fun playing tricks on each other and trying to go one better. She got me a beauty recently when she put fake dog poo in my script folder. I'm still trying to top that."

Would you like Kyle to remain single for a while once Jade has gone, or do you think his attentions could turn to Kate?
"I don't think I'd like to see him go back to his wild days, and I think you can do more with the character when he is in a relationship. Does he pursue Kate? I think that union has been tried and tested but hey, you never know."

With Gemma leaving, are you happy to stick around in Erinsborough for the foreseeable future?
"Absolutely. While there is a room on Ramsay Street, I'm happy to occupy it."

Can you give us any other hints on Kyle's future?
"Let's just say that while there will be plenty of tears when Jade finally leaves, it's not from who you expect. You see another side of old Kyle…"