Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving a presentation

Giving a presentation

Hi All,

I have to give a presentation on my dissertation as part of my job interview. I've never given a presentation that has been assessed or formed part of an interview so I'm unsure of how to create the right impression. I'm looking for some hints and tips on the following:
    • Colour of slides
    • Font and size
    • Use of graphics - should I include pictures of the actual work? I haven't taken any but it wouldn't be a problem for me to take some. Its pretty self-explanatory (put petrol on shoes, walk around, bag them up, put in oven for a few hours then run headspace analysis).
    • How much data/tables/graphs to include without going overboard
    • Anything else I should do or avoid from a viewer's perspective.

My dissertation is on the persistence of petrol of footwear, if that helps.

Thanks
    Thanks CrazyLea

Animation is always good to use, keep the colour of the slides fairly light so that the text can easily be read. Same goes for font and size, depends on how much info you have on the slide, Verdana or Ariel is easiest on the eyes, I think.
    I would include graphics as it will make it more interesting to look at rather than just text. The amount of data depends on who you give the presentation to, whether they know the subject or not, but try not to kill the audience with death by PowerPoint, the presentation is meant to support your statements. I keep my presentations quite short and then give the audience the opportunity to ask questions, if they want clarification of any points Hope this helps .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Abigail (20-02-2011)

Thanks Perdita. I don't know whether the audience are scientists or know anything about gas chromatography and headspace analysis so I'm trying to explain all the terms without being patronising. I should probably verbally preface my presentation with not knowing about the background of the audience.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Any chance of you finding out about the audience before the presentation? Have you been given an allotted time for your presentation? A good thing is to give the presentation to a friend, that way you can find out how long it takes and get some feedback.

Good luck with it Abigail

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Abigail (20-02-2011)

I've nearly finished it, just struggling with how to present my data. I think I'm going to go see one of my lecturers tomorrow to ask her opinion on how to do it.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I give quite a lot of PowerPoint presentations myself and I would say that Perdy's advice is spot on.

Good luck with it Abigal, I hope it goes well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Abigail (20-02-2011), Perdita (20-02-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    I give quite a lot of PowerPoint presentations myself and I would say that Perdy's advice is spot on.

Good luck with it Abigal, I hope it goes well.
    Personally, I wouldn't put in too much animation though.. it can detract from what you are saying.. images/pictures are always useful
    Super Mod

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Abigail (21-02-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't put in too much animation though.. it can detract from what you are saying.. images/pictures are always useful
    I agree about animation. Too much can detract from the presentation. Its a bit like using a lot of flash presentations on websites. Sometimes simplicity is everything.

Its the same with fonts. Use plain regular fonts that are easily readable against a balance background

14. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Abigail (21-02-2011)

A picture paints a 1000 words... Pictures are extremely useful and less text is better.. if gives you a change to talk around what you have written and everything is not crammed on to a small screen. You are present something so people won't expect to read much

As for your personally, deep breaths, engage the people by asking them a question for example, if you are doing a presentation on Conspiracy theories, open by asking " can you give me an example of this" or something along those lines.. Engage everyone in the room.. don't focus solely on one person cause it becomes a presentation just for them and the others may feel excluded. Be excited about what your presenting, this will make the people listen wanting to know more...
    Super Mod

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Abigail (21-02-2011)

Thread Information