Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Gray

Andy Gray

TV soccer pundit Andy Gray was sacked yesterday over a SECOND sexist episode in which he asked presenter Charlotte Jackson to tuck a microphone into his trousers.

Gray - already in trouble for mocking a lineswoman - was axed from his £1.7million-a-year Sky Sports job after a video of the incident appeared online.

The balding Sky Sports soccer pundit tugged open the waistband of his trousers as he fitted a microphone on himself during a rehearsal.

And he asked his fellow presenter: "Charlotte, can you tuck this down here for me, love?"

When embarrassed Charlotte ignored him, he laughed and repeated his indecent proposal: "Tuck that in for me, would you?"

Sky chiefs terminated Gray's contract yesterday afternoon soon after a clip of his crude request - posted on YouTube - was brought to their attention.

The former Scottish international striker, 55, got the red card 24 hours after he was hauled off the telly for mocking lineswoman Sian Massey.

The Sun

What an idiot

Didnt he make racist comments before about a footballer on ITV I think and he was sacked there also?

He is an idiot

No, that was Ron Atkinson in 2004

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (26-01-2011)

What a fuss over nothing. These were private remarks made between two people. They were not broadcast. Im sure we all make remarks about referees parentage and their apparent poor eyesight when watching football and other sports. These are the sort of remarks heard in every pub when a match is being played. As for the remark about asking Charlotte Jackson to tuck his microphone cable in whilst it wasnt the most tactful thing to say it was only said as a bit of banter amongst work colleagues. I have worked in environments where I have been the only male and have had much worse said to me. Its PC gone mad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (26-01-2011)

Andy Gray was always a bit of a sexist pig when he played football as well as his time on Skysports. When are people who work in television going to learn to keep their comments to themselves when microphones are around. what he said is no different to what countless other men have said about females but they say it away from the public hearing it. Females can be just as bad with sexist comments about men and I wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later a female working in media is caught out. There are rumours flying around that it was a stitch up to get rid of Andy and maybe Richard as well. If this is true why didn't sky not renew their contract in the summer before the football season started.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

alan45 (26-01-2011), Siobhan (26-01-2011)

Richard at least apologised to the "lines" lady but Andy didnt I think

What Alan said about PC gone mad is true I work in engineering with around 30 men and I must have heard almost every sexist joke going, and I've given a few myself. If I was to report every comment there's quite a number who would be on the dole by now. The thing is these bafoons who work in media don't think before they open their mouths and let their belly rumbles. I think Richard will go this week and that will be their careers over, no other tv station will touch them.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

alan45 (26-01-2011), Siobhan (26-01-2011)

Its a bit much Sky sacking them. This is the same Sky TV which owns The Sun and News of the World and publish scantily clad women at every opportuity..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

parkerman (26-01-2011), Siobhan (26-01-2011)

I appreciate that the comments were not meant for broadcast, and that anything they did say is no worse than you would hear from a lot of folk in male (or female) dominated industries - but that doesn't make it right.

Andy should have apologised, he was slagging of the girl's professional ability based on her gender and that is not acceptable.

That said, a warning and temporary suspension should have been enough, and using footage that was filmed prior to the warning to trigger the dismissal seems unfair.
    Last edited by Trinity; 26-01-2011 at 16:44. Reason: Blaming innocent people for Andy Gray's sexist behaviour ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post

Alan should have apologised, .
    Why what have I done now!!!!!

Thread Information