Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dennis Tanner

The Mirror claims that Emily Bishop (Eileen Derbyshire) and Rita Sullivan (Barbara Knox) could fight it out for the affections of Dennis Tanner (Philip Lowrie) when he returns to Weatherfield.

A source said: "Barbara and Eileen are great actresses and will love a meaty storyline to get their teeth into. One idea is for Rita and Emily to fight for his affections."

Philip Lowrie has revealed his excitement at returning to Coronation Street more than 40 years after his last appearance on the soap.

As announced at the start of the year, the actor's roguish character Dennis Tanner is making a surprise comeback on the cobbles. It is thought that Lowrie has landed a new six-month contract with the show.

Dennis was one of Coronation Street's original characters, appearing in episode one back in 1960. He was last seen in Weatherfield in 1968.

Speaking to TV Choice about his unexpected return, Lowrie commented: "I've only filmed a few episodes so far, but it feels good to be back! Dennis is a really wonderful character to play because he's a loveable rogue, but there's a depth to him too."

Recent reports have revealed that Dennis is down on his luck when viewers see him again, as he has been living as a tramp.

Lowrie confirmed: "He comes back quite by chance. He's been sleeping rough and Sophie and Sian take pity on him when they meet at the soup kitchen where they volunteer."

Dennis has been tipped to lock horns with old rival Ken Barlow (Bill Roache) upon his return. Show sources have claimed that the Weatherfield veteran "will not be pleased to see him.

DS

Philip Lowrie last trod Coronation Street's cobbles 43 years ago, but next week he returns to his old stomping ground as Dennis Tanner.

Poor Dennis has fallen on hard times, but is thrilled when he's reunited with old pal Rita - and according to Philip, a romance could be on the cards…

He told TV Times: "That's been hinted at. I asked Barbara Knox, who plays Rita, 'how many husbands has she had?' She said 'two', so there might be a third, you never know!"

The 74-year-old actor is thrilled to be back in Weatherfield, particularly because he didn't have to audition. Instead he was offered a six-month contract by producer Phil Collinson.

"I said to myself years ago that I was fed up going to auditions and getting rejected, but if somebody asked me to do something, I'd do it. And I can't see anything not to like about this, especially the storyline. It gives the character somewhere to develop."

Philip's first episode will be broadcast on Thursday.

Sophie and Sian come face-to-face with former Weatherfield resident Dennis Tanner in tonight's episode of Coronation Street.

The pair meet Dennis while helping James out at the soup kitchen, which the rogue now visits regularly because he is homeless and penniless.

As Dennis has arrived too late for a proper meal, Sophie and Sian take pity on the stranger and bring him back to Roy's Rolls, where he gets a friendly reception from Roy but a frosty one from Sylvia.

Dennis doesn't mention his links to Coronation Street and he later rushes off when he spots Rita, not wanting her to know about his downturn in fortunes…

Coronation Street actor Philip Lowrie has achieved a Guinness World Record for his return to the soap after a 43-year gap.

Lowrie departed the soap as Dennis Tanner in 1968, but made his comeback in May aged 75.

Guinness World Records has now awarded the actor with the honour of 'Longest gap between TV appearances as the same character'.

© ITV

On his achievement, Lowrie said: "'Best Actor', 'Best Actress' - these awards come round every 12 months, and there's a different 'Best Actor' and there's a different 'Best Actress'. But to have a World Record is absolutely unique and will stand forever. I wonder if anybody else will beat 43 years?"

Guinness World Records has announced the latest television records in preparation for its latest book, to be released on September 15.

The Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton broke the record for 'Most live streams for a single event', while US medical drama House has taken the prize for 'Most popular programme currently on TV', after attracting a massive 81.8 million viewers worldwide.
    Last edited by alan45; 13-09-2011 at 01:59.

It's been nice seeing Dennis back. I wish they would give him a story.
    M C F C

7. The Following User Says Thank You to layla For This Useful Post:

parkerman (14-09-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by layla View Post
    It's been nice seeing Dennis back. I wish they would give him a story.
    I thought he was going to get romantically involved with Rita, maybe even a marriage

Coronation Street returnee Philip Lowrie has revealed that he is keen to stick with the soap for some time to come.

The actor reprised his role as Dennis Tanner earlier this year, and he is now thought to have extended his initial six-month deal with the show.

Pondering whether Dennis can stay on the cobbles for a while, Lowrie told Inside Soap: "I do hope so, I'm having the best time of my life. I live in London, but now I work here in Manchester for a few days a week, so I have the best of both worlds.

"At my time of life, to have a job that I love so much and getting to play such an amazing part, is fantastic. I can't believe my luck, to be quite frank with you."

Dennis's upcoming scenes are expected to centre around his blossoming friendship with Rita Sullivan, played by Barbara Knox.

Lowrie said: "I've rarely worked with an actress as fabulous as Barbara. People say there's no subtlety in soap, but that's so untrue. We did a scene where Rita is hoping Dennis will say he loves her, but he can't.

"What Barbara was able to convey with only her eyes was extraordinary. The emotion shone out of them. By God, it was powerful stuff."

Lowrie recently won a Guinness World Record for his return to the soap after a 43-year gap.

Is Dennis actually going to DO anything soon?
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LostVoodoo For This Useful Post:

parkerman (17-11-2011)

There may be love on the cobbles again for Corrie veteran Rita Sullivan, as her romance with Dennis Tanner hots up.
    Rita, played by Barbara Knox, has had her fair-share of heartbreak and since Dennis returned earlier this year viewers have been willing love to blossom between the pair.
    Philip Lowrie, who plays Dennis admits that he would love the former bad-lad to finally settle down.
    He told Inside Soap: "I hope they have a romance. I love the relationship our characters have, it's so heart-warming."
    The course of true love never did run smooth for Rita and the appearance of Dennis' former flame Norma leads to an emotional confrontation between the three.
    Philip blames Dennis' fear of commitment for his cowardly behaviour and worries it could ruin his chances of getting together with Rita, he said: "Dennis is a coward. We did a scene where Rita is hoping Dennis will say he loves her, but he can't."
    The son of Street legend Elsie Tanner, Dennis appeared in the very first episode in 1960 and after a record-breaking 43-year absence Philip is more than happy to be back. He said: "I'm having the best time of my life! At my time of life, to have a job that I love so much and getting to play such an amazing part, is fantastic."
    After four decades things have changed a lot in Weatherfield and Philip admits he misses his old co-stars. He said. "Doris (Speed, who played Annie Walker) was my absolute favourite person and I miss her tremendously."

Looks like he will be DOING something soon

Thread Information