Jorgie Porter has spoken to Digital Spy about her return to the soap, promising that there are big plans for her character Theresa McQueen.

Theresa will reappear on screen in August following seven months away. The feisty blonde is currently in prison after finally being caught out as Calvin Valentine's killer, but her new storyline will ultimately see her released from jail and head back to the village.

Speaking to Digital Spy at the launch of Pentahotel Birmingham this week, Porter revealed: "When you see Theresa again, she is definitely desperate to get her baby back. She's had a lot of time to think in prison as there isn't much to do, so she's grown a bit desperate.

"In Theresa's head, she's not a murderer - she's just a girl with a baby. She just thinks that what she did to Calvin was a last-minute decision and she had reasons for it, but obviously she's sad about it and she's sorry about it as well.

"Theresa is also coming back with a secret, which is amazing! I can't say what it is because I don't want to spoil it - it's that great!"

On Theresa eventually returning to the village, she continued: "Calvin's brother Sonny still being there is obviously going to cause a lot of tension! Also, as some of the McQueen family aren't around at the moment, Theresa won't have the full back-up and support from them.

"It's nice that the family is being extended this year. It's always nice to be part of a big family. It's two new girls joining and I'm a girl's girl. The McQueens all stick together!"

Porter has already started filming her return storyline and featured in Hollyoaks' recently-released 'Six Weeks of Summer' trailer.

Discussing how it felt to return, she added: "The whole time since I've known about going back, I've been so excited. I just want to be working every single day, but when you're first starting out again, it's just a scene here and a scene there.

"I just want to be in work every single day because it's so fun and the crew are great. It genuinely feels like a family. I'm so happy and flattered that they asked me back."

The 26-year-old also stayed tight-lipped when asked whether Theresa has unfinished business with her old flame Dodger Savage (Danny Mac).

She laughed: "Like I say, she's had a lot of time to think in prison, so whether or not Dodger would pop up in her mind, we just don't know yet!"