Hollyoaks star Jorgie Porter has admitted that she was sad when her character Theresa McQueen broke up with Will Savage.

The pair ended their relationship in late December after drifting apart once Will had enrolled at Hollyoaks Community College.

In real life, Porter has been dating co-star James Atherton - who plays Will - for the past few months.

Porter told Inside Soap: "I was gutted when Will and Theresa split up. It wasn't just because I couldn't work with my boyfriend more, but also because James is such a great actor.

"I never thought in my life that I'd enjoy working with a boyfriend, but I absolutely love it. So both me and James really want Theresa and Will to get back together."

Theresa's old spark with Joel Dexter (Andrew Still) is about to be revisited on screen following his return to the village.

Porter said: "Clearly there's something between Theresa and Joel, and they do get together for a short while. But it all goes wrong after Joel bumps into Will and they end up having a fight. Theresa's not impressed by Joel's jealous streak - but she's still got the hots for him."

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4 with a first look screening at 7pm on E4.