Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Of Thrones

Game Of Thrones

Author George R. R. Martin has revealed that he is pleased with the television adaptation of his series Game Of Thrones.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Martin described the HBO show as "spectacular" but admitted that he is worried about what fans of the books will think.

"My fear is there may be an element of fantasy fans that are like, 'It's not Lord Of The Rings'," he said. "We don't have Peter Jackson's budget... we can't do Battle of Pelennor Fields. We have to accept this is television... it's spectacular TV."

He added: "The Battle of Blackwater is a potential budget buster. They're going to have to figure out how to do that. It could be an entire episode of battle."

Martin also revealed that he is pleased with the length of the series, saying: "I think 10 hours has proved to be enough. You're always a little greedy - I wouldn't have minded 12 hours - but 10 worked too."

Game Of Thrones will premiere on HBO on April 17. It will air on Sky Atlantic in the UK.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (03-02-2011), tammyy2j (11-03-2011)

Game Of Thrones producer David Benioff has hinted that the show will be controversial.

According to Access Hollywood, Benioff explained that HBO has allowed the series to include scenes of sex and violence.

"One of the things that had to be done with [my previous project] Troy is so many things had to be cut because we were trying to do a two-and-a-half hour movie and tell this massive, massive story," he said.

"Here, because we have ten hours to tell the story, we're able to include all the major characters... and we're able to do it the way [author] George [R. R. Martin] does it in the books in terms of the darkness of it and the violence of it and the sexuality of it, which a major studio would never let you do, even if you're lucky enough to get an R rating. This is beyond R."

Benioff, who explained that the show is about "power", added: "A lot of people get killed. George's world is a violent world - there's a lot of killing and bloodshed and eviscerations and decapitations and there's a lot of sex. It's one of the things that I loved about these books."

Game Of Thrones will premiere on HBO on April 17. The show will air on Sky Atlantic in the UK.

I wonder when it starts over here

18th April Tammy the night after it's aired in the USA. I will have to watch it online or go to my nephews as I don't have Sky.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (24-03-2011)

The Game of Thrones series was made in Belfast and on location around Northern Ireland

I need Sky. Have to see this. The trailers look stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    I need Sky. Have to see this. The trailers look stunning.
    I wanted to get it too cause I seen Sean Bean in the ad but found out he is only there for 2 episodes... boo!!
    Super Mod

I want it for Aidan Gillen. He's on a drama showing up here called Love/Hate. Not great but he's stunning in it. I'm going to buy the book today. If I can't see the programme I'll just loose myself in the book.

Mark Addy's new US TV show may be a fantasy adventure saga - but the actor says it's strictly for grown-ups.

The HBO series Game Of Thrones has power struggles, family friction, sibling rivalry and sex - plus hairy men on horseback, sword fights and the supernatural.

"It's a bit like Lord Of The Rings for grown-ups," says Full Monty star Mark, who plays King Robert Baratheon, embattled ruler of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. "This is definitely not one that you can watch with your kids."

Adapted from George RR Martin's novel series A Song Of Ice And Fire, the show charts the bloody struggle for control of Westeros, a rough-and-tumble land where the seasons last for decades. The books' many fans are already in a high state of online excitement about the series, but HBO also hopes to attract an audience not usually drawn to sword-and-sorcery stories.

The 10-part series, which can be seen on Sky Atlantic, sees King Robert and his long-time friend Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark (Sean Bean) fighting off challenges to the throne.

Mark plays Robert as a good man gone slightly to seed - Richard Lionheart crossed with Henry VIII.

"He's discovered too late that he's surrounded by enemies, and the only person he can trust is Ned," Mark said.

Fans of the books love them for their complexity, pace and a level of realism unusual in the genre - something the series has tried to retain.

"It's a fantasy world, but I think they've made it look and feel so realistic that you go, 'All right, I buy that this is them and this is where they are'," Mark said.

PA

Thread Information