Thread: Pete Postlethwaite has died at the age of 64

Pete Postlethwaite has died at the age of 64

Oscar-nominated British actor Pete Postlethwaite has died at the age of 64, a spokesman has announced.

Journalist and friend Andrew Richardson said Postlethwaite, who was made an OBE in 2004, died peacefully in hospital in Shropshire after a lengthy illness.

In 1994, he was nominated for an Oscar for In The Name of the Father.

He received a best supporting actor nod for his role as Giuseppe Conlon, who was falsely convicted of the IRA's Guildford pub bombings.

Mr Richardson said the actor, who also starred in films including The Usual Suspects and Brassed Off, had carried on working in recent months despite receiving treatment for cancer.

Postlethwaite, who was born in Warrington, Cheshire, began his career at Liverpool's Everyman Theatre where he worked with future stars including Bill Nighy, Julie Walters and Alan Bleasdale.

He returned to the Everyman in 2008 to play the lead in King Lear, a role he had always wanted to take on.

He starred alongside his friend Daniel Day-Lewis in In The Name of the Father, about the wrongful convictions of the Guildford Four.

The pair had previously worked together in repertory theatre during the 1970s.

Postlethwaite was once described by director Steven Spielberg, whom he worked with in films including The Lost World: Jurassic Park, as "the best actor in the world".

I just read that on Sky news.. I am totally shocked.. he is one of my fav actors..

RIP Pete
    Super Mod

Very sad news

he was such an amazibng actor, such sad news to start 2011

Im watching Brassed off now which he was just fabulous in.

RIP a true great actor

I heard about his death on the lunch-time news. So sad he was an amazing actor.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Daniel Day-Lewis, who played Postlethwaite’s son in 1993′s In the Name of the Father (for which they both earned Oscar nominations), and co-starred with him in 1992′s The Last of the Mohicans: ”Pos was the one. As students, it was him we went to see on stage time and time again. It was him we wanted to be like; wild and true; lion hearted; unselfconscious, irreverent. He was on our side. He watched out for us. We loved him and followed him like happy children, never a breath away from laughter. He shouldn’t have gone. I wish so much that he hadn’t. There’s a tendency to make lists at this time of the year. When we get to the Best of British, if Pete isn’t at the top of that list, he shouldn’t be far from it.”

Ben Affleck, who co-starred with and directed Postlethwaite in last fall’s The Town: “Pete was a wonderful actor and an extraordinary man. I will miss him as will the countless others whose lives he touched either personally or through his work. This is a great loss of a wonderful man. My prayers go out to his family.”

RIP a great actor I remember he looked frail in Inception

Lost For Words - ITV 3 Tribute to Pete Postlethwaite

Friday, 21 January 2011, 9:00PM - 10:45PM

PETE POSTLETHWAITE and DAME THORA HIRD star in this autobiographical comedy by Deric Longden. Deric has an amazing relationship with his mother, a woman with a truly eccentric way with words. But when Mother suffers a series of strokes, leaving her lost for words, their world undergoes a massive change.
    Deric Longden's mother had a truly eccentric way with words and a very private brand of logic. We find her bringing her own inimitable vision to Deric's life and all aspects of human existence, but when she has a stroke her world and Deric's suffers a massive change and she finds herself literally lost for words.
    Winner of 3 international awards including 1999 International Emmy Awards, New York (Best Drama), and 3 domestic awards including British Academy Television Awards 2000 - Best Actress (Thora Hird).

Stars: Thora Hird as Annie Longden, Pete Postlethwaite as Deric Longden, Penny Downie as Aileen Longden, Keith Clifford as Fred Brooks, Diana Flacks as Mrs. Corey, Malcolm Hebden as Chemist, Tom Higgins as Doctor, Ruth Holden as Mrs. Elliot, Noreen Kershaw as Margaret, Anne Reid as Gloria Brooks, Gillian Waugh as Speech Therapist

Director: Alan Bell
    Producer: Sita Williams
    Writer: Deric Longden

From ITV website

Thread Information