Thread: problems with laptop

problems with laptop

Hello all. I need help the laptop is on the blink. On Christmas day we couldn't get any Internet access despite there being no obvious problems with the modem or conection. When I went to my sisters I found her Internet access was playing up so I put it down to a fault with virgin. Then yesterday it still wouldn't work so I phoned Virgin to see if there was a fault. Turned out it was my anti-virus programme was the problem I was told to uninstall it then re-install it and if there was any problems to contact Karspersky. I uninstalled the software and Marley wanted it left off last night so she could go on for a while. Anyway I haven't re-installed it yet but I have noticed problems with getting access on the internet. For example. On here the shoutbox is blank and it won't let me post anything, also when I want to post a comment it takes me to the advance posting box with all the icons at the side but it won't let me click on any the icons. Also I can't access bbc or itv Iplayers. Can anyone help.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I'm not sure what the problem is, sorry, except to say I haven't had any trouble with Kaspersky. I wouldn't leave the anti-virus uninstalled for too long or you could get more problems. Maybe after re-installing you could do a full scan to see if it picks up anything.

I also use spybot search and destroy (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...y/1043809773/1 - it's free), which sometimes picks up things on my computer an anti-virus won't. I haven't had any problems with conflicts between the two programs. Maybe doing a scan with this too, or another spyware program, will pick something up.

I'm also on Virgin and have had no trouble with my internet access.

Hope you find out what's causing the problems.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 28-12-2010 at 12:47.

Another Virgin customer here. We had some trouble when the snow came down as we're in a rural area but its fine now.

Do a spyware and anti-virus scan to check there isn't anything interfering with the connection. AVG is a free anti-virus that you could download and install if you don't want to reinstall Kaspersky just yet. We have Kaspersky at university and ever since it was installed, some machines run incredibly slow depending on how far they are from the server.

Have you tried using a different browser to check compatibility with Kaspersky? If you've recently updated it then the updates could be blocking some content. Or spyware could be stopping some processes from running.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I still can't get Karsersky installed. I phoned the helpline and was told I could download it from the webpage but it won't run. It says it's not compatible with the trial McAffee software that was on the laptop when I bought it. I tried uninstalling McAffee but it won't budge and I can't download the virus scanner from Virgin because again it won't let me. It's something to do with Java script. as we can't get onto facebook either. I've looked in tools but I can't see what the fault is. Hopefully I can get my nephew to have a look at it or I'm back at work next week so I may take it in to have one of the tech guys to look at it.

Did you recently update Java? You could uninstall the most recent version if you did and see if that changes anything. Java is free to download so its not a major problem if that's not the solution.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph Lost in Nigeria at XMAS AGAIN! View Post
    Did you recently update Java? You could uninstall the most recent version if you did and see if that changes anything. Java is free to download so its not a major problem if that's not the solution.
    I never touched the laptop Abigail. It was Marley who was on it last on Christmas Eve. she swore she never touched anything but I don't know. I'll try and download Java ans see how that works. Thanks.

i've unitstalled and reinstalled Java but it's still not working. I went back onto bbc iplayer and it's still saying I need java scirpt. I checked itne internet options in the tools tab and everyting that should be checked is so I don't know what's wrong with the fooking thing. I'll just have to wait until Monday to see if the guys at work can fix it or send it back to currys to be fixed.

My nephew had a look at the laptop and it had a virus on it, which he got rid off. He installed Internet explorer 9 but I have a gripe as the tool bar is different how do I change the toolbar settings. Apart from that it's working fine.

Not sure, could be something you can't change.

Have you considered changing browser? IE is notorious for having holes that viruses can get through.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Thread Information