Thread: BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2010

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2010

TONY McCOY won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
    The 15-time Champion Jockey landed the Grand National in 2010 after 15 years of trying.

On the back of that, he won a huge 41 per cent of the public vote to become the first jockey to win the award in its 57-year history.

He said: "This is unbelievable to be standing in front of so many sports people who I look up to. To win this is very surreal and it comes with the help of so many people.

"When I started as a jockey, I wanted to be champion. I just felt winning the Grand National was that last piece for me.

"I work in a wonderful sport and I think most of them spent most of the night voting for me."

McCoy edged out 15-time darts world champ Phil Taylor and heptathlete Jessica Ennis.

Award winners
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year - jump jockey Tony McCoy

Helen Rollason award - Formula One's Sir Frank Williams

BBC Young Sports Personality - diver Tom Daley (for third time)

BBC Sports Unsung Hero - Bedford basketball coach Lance Haggith

Team of the Year - Europe's Ryder Cup-winning 12

Overseas Sports Personality - world no1 tennis ace Rafael Nadal

BBC Sports Personality Lifetime Achievement award - ex-England captain David Beckham

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (27-12-2010)

I was delighted AP got it... I only tune in to the end of it and they showed the list of nominees, and AP was the only one I thought deserved it so delight he got it
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Baby View Post
    I was delighted AP got it... I only tune in to the end of it and they showed the list of nominees, and AP was the only one I thought deserved it so delight he got it
    Personally I wanted GMAC to win it but nevertheless am delighted that it was an Irishman who won it. Such a small wee country and we had two nominations in the top ten

i thought it was well deserved as wel, and a lovely acceptance speech from AP!

Thought the bit at the very end that i saw when they did the sportstars that had died throughtout the year and Katherine Jenkins sung in front of the montage thing was really nice.

Glad to see that GMAC won the awards for Best Sportsperson of the Year Award on RTE.

Pity he couldnt do something about his ridiculous transatlantic accent

I thought GMac or Westwood would have won the top award as Golf dominated this years awards. Didn't agree with Beckham getting a lifetime award. Maybe it's just me but I can't see what all the fuss about him is.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Horny Hollie View Post
    I thought GMac or Westwood would have won the top award as Golf dominated this years awards. Didn't agree with Beckham getting a lifetime award. Maybe it's just me but I can't see what all the fuss about him is.
    The problem with the Golf was that the vote was split between GMAC and Westwood.

Certainly agree that Mr Spice did not deserve a lifetime achievement award

Thread Information