Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Katherine Kelly (Becky) quits Coronation Street

Katherine Kelly (Becky) quits Coronation Street

Coronation Street star Katherine Kelly is reportedly planning to quit the soap when her contract runs out next year.

The actress, who has played Becky McDonald for nearly five years, apparently wants to explore new acting roles but has been assured by producer Phil Collinson that the door will be left open for her.

A source told the Daily Star Sunday: "It came as a huge blow to everyone but, after nearly five years playing Becky, they understood her decision. She wants to go off and try other roles. Becky is one of the soap's most popular characters and since they teamed her up with Steve they've quickly become one of the soap world's favourite couples.

"It was a really hard decision for Katherine as she adores Corrie. She was a huge fan of the show before she joined and will always be grateful for everything that Corrie has done for her. She'll be a big loss but her contract doesn't run out until the end of October so she'll be on screen until next Christmas."

A Coronation Street spokesman said: "Katherine Kelly is committed to Coronation Street to the end of 2011. It would be premature to discuss the departure of any actor when they still have almost 12 months to go on their contract."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-12-2010), tammyy2j (24-12-2010)

I'd be sorry to see Becky go.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I'd be sorry to see Becky go.
    Me too I prefer her to Tracy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-12-2010)

She may changed her mind and stay on in the street. We don't want Becky and Steve to split.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Is this why Tracy is back? If Becky does leave they should get Karen back for Steve?

I'd prefer Becky to stay she is a great character has involved so much and I'd love her relationships with Steve and the Croppers

i think it was always inevitable that Katherine Kelly would want to lea ve as she is such a great actress, at lease she will be on our screens till the end of 2011

It was the same with Suranne Jones.

I prefer Becky to Tracey.
    I hope that Tracey doesn`t get her claws into Steve - she doesn`t deserve him.

Katherine Kelly has played down rumours that she is planning to leave Coronation Street, insisting that she is "really happy" at the soap.

The actress has appeared in the role of Weatherfield's Becky McDonald for nearly five years, but recent reports have suggested that she will quit the part at the end of her current contract.

However, asked by TVNZ whether she is planning to return to her theatre career, Kelly replied: "Oh no, I'm really happy at Coronation Street right now. I've got such a great year coming up with Tracy Barlow [being] back. That's just a gift - Tracy versus Becky.

"I'm definitely happy for now. I know there's a lot of rumours surrounding me going, but that's been for the past two years, so just ignore them for now."

Meanwhile, discussing the complexities of her character, the star explained: "I love playing bad girls, but I do also have a tendency as a person to get bored very easily which is why I never thought being in Corrie would be for me. I never thought playing the same character for four years would stimulate me as much as it does.

"What I love about the writers is that they constantly change Becky [but] they never lose that base rate - the bottom note of the fact that she is feral deep down and a bad girl really. That's always sort of underlying and they've never lost that. So she's not completely reformed but at the same time you can't keep being bad all the time 'cause it's boring."

Kelly is in the running for the 'Best Serial Drama Performance' prize at this year's National Television Awards, which take place on January 26.

A big posh house in the country isn't really Becky McDonald's style, but it turns out it's right up Katherine Kelly's street.

The actress, who has played loud-mouthed Becky for four years in Corrie, would love to don a fancy frock and have a role in one of the country's biggest period dramas.

In an interview with website TVNZ, she said: "We've got great show here in the UK called Downton Abbey, which is a period drama.

"It's like Upstairs Downstairs and everyone would expect that I'd want to be downstairs but I'd definitely want to be upstairs. Put my best arty accent on for that."

However, we probably won't be seeing her in that show for a while, as Katherine dismissed suggestions she's getting itchy feet on the cobbles.

"I'm definitely happy for now. I know there's a lot of rumours surrounding me going but that's been for the past two years so just ignore them for now," she said, and added: "Becky is probably one of the best roles ever on screen. I can't wish for anything else."

JAILBIRD Becky McDonald’s marriage will be left hanging by a thread after her husband takes the blame for the *corner shop looting.

Owners Dev and Sunitta *Alahan have been determined to track down who raided their safe while many *residents were fighting for life under the rubble of December’s tram crash.

Next month they uncover key *evidence that proves who the thief is.

But Rovers boss Steve, determined to save his wife, confesses before they can go to the police.Fans know it was Becky (Katherine Kelly, 30) who stole all the money.

She saw an opportunity to get the cash she needed to buy her nephew Max from her evil sister Kylie.
    The secret has been *driving a wedge between the couple.

And things take a turn for the worse when Steve (Simon Gregson, 35) takes the blame for the theft.

A show insider said: “Dev and Sunitta are horrified that Steve was the one who raided their shop while people were *dying. They are hell-bent on justice.”

But seeing the sacrifice her husband is about to make, Becky finally comes clean, leading to a catfight between her and Sunitta.

After the dust settles, Becky reveals her motives for taking the money and asks Dev and Sunitta what lengths they would go to for the sake of their kids.Her pleas tug at their heartstrings and the *couple back down.

But Becky has a mountain to climb to get her marriage back on track.

Our mole added: “Steve tells her that, thanks to her, he just seems to lurch from one disaster to another.

“If she messes up again, their marriage is over.”

Daily Star

Thread Information