Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Funniest phishing scam

Are you going to meet her and give her money Parkerman? You could maybe pay a visit to Nigeria to see if you can find Abigail while your there.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    You would think that she would at least be able to spell her beloved husband's name correctly
    She did

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    She did
    She didn't
    Libyans sifting through the possessions in Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli have found the passport of his eldest son Mohammad. There, in English, is the correct spelling of the name, one of the least-used variants. It's not Gaddafi. It's Gathafi.

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    She didn't
    There, in English, is the correct spelling of the name, one of the least-used variants.

Who knows what the correct spelling is anyway. And, if I wanted to con people out of cash, I would not use the least-used variant of the name either, seeing that most people would not recognise it and therefore would be suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    There, in English, is the correct spelling of the name, one of the least-used variants.

Who knows what the correct spelling is anyway. And, if I wanted to con people out of cash, I would not use the least-used variant of the name either, seeing that most people would not recognise it and therefore would be suspicious.
    I think the clue is in the fact it was on his PASSPORT

would not recognise it and therefore would be suspicious
    Not that they would be suspicious of a letter promising them huge sums of money that appeared in their email

Its a scam letter anyway and they usually have give away clues and I was merely pointing out one of them

His name, rendered in Arabic, is "معمر القذافي,"
    Last edited by alan45; 23-10-2011 at 09:44.

What do you mean a scam?

I've already booked my tickets to Algeria as I thought it was unfair to ask her to leave the country where she is safe, so I'm going to meet her.

I might give you all a share of my million when I return....

Scam, indeed!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (23-10-2011), Siobhan (23-12-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    What do you mean a scam?

I've already booked my tickets to Algeria as I thought it was unfair to ask her to leave the country where she is safe, so I'm going to meet her.

I might give you all a share of my million when I return....

Scam, indeed!
    If you need any security my friend the Nigerian General will be happy to provide same. Just contact act him at his office in the Western Union

THESE days there's more spam in inboxes than pensioners' larders.
    The vast majority of recipients wisely delete the bogus emails, commonly designed to con the naïve out of money, but one trusting man has enough time on his hands to take the senders' proposals seriously – with hilarious consequences.

Self-professed Hero of Dundee Bob Servant – the 64-year-old alter-ego of author and journalist Neil Forsyth – has made a habit of engaging the fraudsters in online conversations.

The outcome is always the same – he gives the culprits hope before slowly ebbing it away via a series of absurd requests, questions and observations about their so-called grand plans.

He managed to get a man claiming to be a Liberian refugee embroiled in a debate about Dawn French and demanded an 'Australian businessman' – who sent a picture of himself – shave off his beard before agreeing to wire money to him.

The latter does as asked, emailing the same snap with the facial hair digitally rubbed out.

The email exchanges are among those that appear in new book Why Me? The Very Important Emails Of Bob Servant by Neil Forsyth.

Read the two rib-tickling chapters in full below.

Sad Times Publishing 2

To: Bob Servant

Subject: Help me

Hello my Dearest,

Due to my critical condition right now i will not hesitate to make known to you all about me so please do not deter as i am going to expose a lot about myself and background here to you. I am residing in Beylane camp as a refugee and as a refugee here i don't have any right or privileged to any thing be it money or whatever because it is against the law of this country.

My name is Mr Owen Bell, am 24 years old. I am from Liberia in West Africa. Am the only child of my parents and am studying law in the university before my parents past away. And my hope and aim to becoming a successful lawyer, but now my parents are no more. they were killed by civil war going on in my country.

My late father Dr Patrick Bell, before his death deals and owned a company in Monrovia Liberia,

Please listen to this and try to keep it to your self only. When my father was alive, he deposited some money in a bank and he used my name as next of kin. Now due to my refugee status and the law guiding this camp,

i cannot make claims by myself, i need a partner preferably a foreigner who will stand on my behalf to the bank

I am helpless without you, i am having no account, no raw money at hand for it is my wish to further life abroad. Send to me Your Full names, address , occupation and telephone number:

Mr Owen Bell

----------------------------

To: Owen Bell

Subject: Quick one

Owen,

Ever thought of writing a book? Your Servant,

Bob Servant

Managing Editor

Sad Times Publishing

Subject: What do you mean?

What is this about a book I am telling you about my troubles here in the camp so you must pay attention and read again the email. I need you to stand for me to the bank

Subject: Here's the gist of it

Owen,

Apologies, let me tell you a little more. I am the managing editor of an English publisher called Sad Times Publishing. We print, as you'll have guessed, sad stories and in recent years we've had some of the biggest selling sad stories in England including -

My Head Is A Whirpool And I Can't Swim – The Troubled Mind of Vernon Kay

Sticks and Stones Broke My Bones – The Rise and Fall of Wolf from Gladiators

Dumped! How I Pulled Myself Together and Learnt To Love Again by Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne

I think your story could fit very comfortably indeed into our catalogue. We pay generously for the right stories and I think you're sitting on a cracker (not in a saucy way).

Are you in?

Bob Servant

Managing Editor

Sad Times Publishing

Subject: My price

Dear Bob

OK I understand. Well my story would sell millions of books all through the world and there could be a movie and TV for sure so for you it is chance to be rich. my story would be worth $1m and this is true Bob if you work it out so this my start price and now we talk.

Owen

Subject: Absolute belter

Owen

Thanks for your email. I've not laughed that much since the first Gulf War. A million dollars eh? Let me tell you something pal. A couple of years back it was in the papers that Dawn French got a million quid for her autobiography. And that's Frenchy we're talking about, Owen, Frenchy. Now, Owen, you're going to have to help me here. How in God's name can you say you should get the same as old Frenchy?

I attach a link and 'screen grab' of the famous scene from Vicar of Dibley where Frenchy falls into a puddle. Beat that.

Yours, Bob

Subject: This is easy and not a book

Bob,

This is easy to do and in fact you shoold know that anyone with camera and rainfall is possible. any anyway Bob this is not a book this is a movie so how can you compare. I have told you some of my story but not all and you would not have written me if you did not see the book this could be.

I told you this is just my start price and now we talk so make me counter offer

Owen

Subject: You're not Frenchy

Owen,

Yes you could jump in a puddle but Frenchy was the first person to do it and that's why she's one of the nation's favourite 'funny women' and you're not. Sorry to be so blunt, Owen, but someone has to tell you. You're wasting your time pretending to be Frenchy when you should be out working hard to provide for your family.

Bob

Subject: RE: You're not Frenchy

How can i work when i am in a refugee camp what is going on in your mind? This woman cannoy be the first person to fall into puddle you ask what is wrong with me but what is wrong with you? i am not pretending to be anyone but i think you are pretending to be someone with this nonsense

Subject: Give Up

Owen,

OK, let me make this even clearer for you. You are not Dawn French. I'm sorry, Owen, I'm sure it stings to read it in black and white like that, but you're a big boy and you need to accept it.

You are not Dawn French, Owen, and, no matter how hard you try, you never will be.

Don't shoot the messenger,

Bob

Subject: RE: Give Up

I DO NOW WANT TO BE DAWN FENCH TODAY OR ANY DAY YOU ARE SO STUPID AND YOU TELL ME TO GIVE UP WELL IT IS TIME YOU GIVE UP

The Vanishing Beard

Subject: Do Not Ignore This

Dear Respected Sir,

I got your contact email address through internet research as i was conducting researches to link-up a reliable foreign partner to help me carry out this transaction. On coming accross your contact, i was touched spiritually and physically to connect you, with great feelings that you might be of great help to me.

I live here in Australia and work for the Australia Investments Corp. To be very honest with you, this business i have introduced to you is very genuine and highly benefitial. i have the absolute convinction that you will neither betray nor disappoint me in this transaction. I have access to a fund which if is not claimed after eight years it will enter into the bank's treasury and becomes the inherittance of the Australian government but instead I could transfer to you.

If this sounds like what you want and need then contacts me right away. Please trust in me just as i have trusted you before opening the secret of this business to you because about 99.9% of all genuine transactions all over the world is based on mutual trust and understanding. You will see the form to fill in here.

Thanks and best regards

Alistair Ross

Australia Investments Corp

To: Alistair Ross

Subject: Quick snap?

Hi Alistair,

Sounds great, can you please send a photo of yourself for my records? Your Servant,

Bob Servant

Subject: This is no problem

Hello bob yes this is no problem for photo here is me in my private office. Ok well now we can procede?

Subject: Let's lose the beard

Morning champ,

OK here's my position. I don't like beards, Alistair, I don't like them at all. About forty years ago I saw a documentary about a guy with a beard who led a gang of young pickpockets in London and then one of the kids started singing as if someone had his little balls in a vice and, oh dear, the whole thing was awful.

So Alistair, it's very simple. Simply shave off your beard and sit back in that same chair in that same office and send me a new photo. I will then send you every single penny I have as well as my neighbour Frank's pension book and 'flat screen' TV.

Because, don't get me wrong, Alistair, I can see your potential. You, Alistair, are wearing a sandwich board saying 'Opportunity', a top hat saying 'Trust Me' and, if I may, a pair of pants embroidered with the phrase

'Work Hard' at the front and, if I may, 'Play Hard', at the back. That last bit was all metaphors.

Look forward to seeing the new photo,

Bob

Subject: I cannot do this

Bob,

I cannot do this because my wife likes my beard and in fact it was her idea. If you're married man then this will work for you. Just fill in the form or if you want to send your whole money for investment purposes this is fine too. I do not need your friend TV I have one that is doing OK. Thank you for the metaphor i get message and you right this is

'OPPORTUNITY' and i will so hard for you you will be amazed.

Alistair

Subject: Stand up to her

Alistair,

Don't let your wife be your boss. You'll end up like the Duke of Edinburgh who has to ask the Queen before he goes to the toilet. So I apologise to you and your dragon of a wife, Alistair, but if you want to do business then the beard has to go.

Bob

Subject: Not important

Bob,

The beard does not matter in business bob you must know this. Send your information anyway.

Alistair

Subject: Goodbye

Alistair,

I have made my position clear. Until I see the photo as requested I will be playing deaf to your emails.

Goodbye,

Bob

Subject: Trust me

Bob

Come on this is not important and why does photo have to be the same. You don't trust me! bob why not? Send the information.

Alistair

Subject: Answer me

Bob? not heard from you, send something today.

Subject: OK here it is

OK Bob here is photo like you ask, I have removed my beard even if it causes problem with my wife. Now send your data now or if you want whole money invested I have many opportunities that you will like.

Subject: RE: OK here it is

Please tell me that you're joking.

Subject: Of course not a joke

Bob this is business not joking what is problem?

Subject: Have a guess

What do you think the problem might be?

Subject: RE: Have a guess

i really do not know bob can you send me your details to arrange investment?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

moonstorm (31-10-2011), parkerman (31-10-2011)

Last edited by alan45; 31-10-2011 at 13:13. Reason: Duplicate post

Thank you, alan. That's just brilliant.

Thread Information