Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Emmerdale' producer Blyth dies, aged 41

The widow of late Emmerdale series producer Gavin Blyth has told of her devastation after returning from his funeral to find that their house had been burgled.

Suzy Blyth travelled back to her home in Rodley, Leeds on Thursday following the service in Southport. She discovered that several items had been taken, including treasured possessions.

She told the Yorkshire Post: "I am absolutely devastated that this has happened at what is already such a difficult time for our family.

"The laptop with all our precious family photographs stored on it has been taken, along with some of our most treasured possessions. I would be so grateful if anyone who knows anything about it would come forward."

A West Yorkshire police spokesman said that forensic tests had been completed and inquiries were under way in the area. They urged anyone with information to contact them on 0113 241 4888.

Gavin passed away last month following a short illness.

What a load of dirty low-life scumbags. How could anyone be so heartless I hope they get the swines.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

hope they rot, thats an awful thing to do

In memory of Gavin Blyth, Corrie and Emmerdale lads will be taking to the football pitch to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

Gavin was Coronation Street's ex-Assistant Producer and Emmerdale's Series Producer. He passed away aged 41 after a short illness in December 2010. Read more about Gavin Blyth at itv.com.

The charity football match takes place on Saturday 19th February, kick off 1pm, gates opening at 12 noon. Tickets are payable at the turnstile. It is at the Olympic Stadium, next to the City of Manchester Stadium, Sports City, Manchester, M11 3FF.

Nice little stadium that commonwealth stadium, should get a good turnout, its all for a good cause.

Emmerdale has today announced the appointment of Stuart Blackburn as the soap's new series producer.

Blackburn - who has been working as the ITV1 drama's story editor since 2009 - takes up the post with immediate effect and will chair his first long-term story conference this week.

The programme's new showrunner succeeds the late Gavin Blyth, who passed away last November following a short period of ill health. Blyth had steered a successful revamp period for the programme, introducing new characters and families and overseeing acclaimed storylines.

Speaking of his new position, Blackburn commented: "This job is very special to me because producing is the ultimate form of storytelling and I've always been very passionate about drama in my working life.

"This is without doubt the most exciting day of my career. I feel a massive responsibility as well as excitement. We'll never be complacent at Emmerdale as it's important we look forward. Together with the cast and crew, we'll continue to work extremely hard to improve what Gavin had started."

Blackburn's first association with Emmerdale came 13 years ago when he joined the soap as a storyliner. He later went on to work on Sky's Dream Team, ITV1's The Bill and BBC One's Ballykissangel among others.

He returned to the world of soap five years ago when he took on the post of story editor at Coronation Street, where his working relationship with Gavin Blyth began. Consequently, when Blyth became Emmerdale's series producer in 2009, Blackburn was invited to re-join the show's team as story editor.

Discussing Emmerdale's future, John Whiston, ITV Studios' creative director for soaps, said: "Stuart Blackburn has a unique combination of the perfect pedigree and the fire in his belly to take Emmerdale to new heights.

"I'm really glad he threw his hat into the ring for the producer's job and I'm confident the show will now build not just on the foundations that Gavin laid but also on the amazing work that [assistant producer] Tony Hammond and the team have done to carry on Gavin's legacy."

Emmerdale star Danny Miller has today announced details of the second annual Gavin Blyth Memorial Ball, which aims to raise £75,000 for charity.

Cast from Emmerdale and Coronation Street will join forces with friends from Hollyoaks and EastEnders and a host of other celebrities by attending the fundraising night on Saturday, February 18.

For the second year running, soap stars are supporting the event in memory of TV producer Blyth, who passed away from cancer at the age of 41 in November 2010.

Blyth is best known for his acclaimed stint as Emmerdale's series producer in 2009 and 2010. He had previously worked on Coronation Street, starting out as a story associate before progressing to the role of assistant producer.

The Gavin Blyth Memorial Ball raised £65,000 last year and was the brainchild of Miller, who plays Emmerdale's troubled mechanic Aaron Livesy.

This year, the Ball will raise funds for new Manchester-based charity Once Upon A Smile, which Miller set up alongside his friend and fellow actor Daniel Jillings last year.

Miller commented: "Gavin Blyth was an inspirational and passionate producer. But not only that, he was a fantastic man, father, mentor, and friend who was like a brother to me and so many others.

"Despite a year passing, there's still a giant hole left at Emmerdale, so we want to remember Gavin in a fitting way to celebrate his life - and raising money for our new charity Once Upon A Smile."

Jillings added: "When Danny and I agreed to set up Once Upon A Smile last year, we had a variety of different reasons for wanting to set it up and for Danny, Gavin (pictured left) was a major factor.

"Once Upon A Smile provides respite breaks for families who have suffered bereavement - whether it's the loss of a child or parent. The impact of bereavement is immense and we do all we can to assist the family by giving them a break away from their current situation, even if it's just for a day, to put smiles back on faces and allow them time to be a family again.

"Tickets are still available in limited supply for the ball. Tickets are priced at £100 each, with tables of 10 and 12 available. For more information on Once Upon A Smile, please visit www.onceuponasmile.org.uk.

"We have planned an incredible evening which we hope everyone will thoroughly enjoy, whilst helping us raise thousands. The money raised from the Gavin Blyth Memorial Ball will allow us to continue this crucial work and increase the number of families we can support."

The night will begin with a champagne and red carpet reception at the Manchester Deansgate Hilton. Afterwards, guests will move into the ballroom for the evening and will be entertained by performances from cast members and surprise guests.

The target fundraising amount of £75,000 would enable Once Upon A Smile to support at least 75 bereaved families in Manchester.

Emmerdale's departing star Danny Miller: 'Gavin Blyth nurtured me'

Danny Miller has once again emphasised the impact of late producer Gavin Blyth on his success at Emmerdale.

Blyth, who died of cancer in November 2010, turned Aaron Livesy into one of the village soap's central characters.

Recalling the trauma, Miller told The Sun: "Gavin's death hit everyone very hard. It was such a shock. He got cancer then a month and a bit later he just died.

© ITV

"He was like a father figure for me. I looked up to him and he helped me play the great storylines. He nurtured me. He was a very talented young man. He was there 24/7 for me.

"He stood by his word and he stood by me and said he'd support me and he did. We all miss him so much."

At last year's British Soap Awards, Miller paid an emotional tribute to Blyth, whose time as boss saw Emmerdale's popularity rocket.

The 21-year-old's final scenes as Aaron air next Thursday (April 5).
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information