Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Emmerdale' producer Blyth dies, aged 41

'Emmerdale' producer Blyth dies, aged 41

Emmerdale's series producer Gavin Blyth has died at the age of 41, ITV has confirmed.

The show chief - who took office at the Yorkshire-based soap in January 2009 - passed away last night following a short period of ill health.

An Emmerdale spokesperson said today: "It is with great sadness that we confirm our series producer Gavin Blyth passed away last night after a short illness.

"Our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues at this terrible time. He will be greatly missed by us all. Gavin leaves his wife Suzy and children Tom, 15, Anya, 11 and Carter, aged 1."

Blyth first joined the world of soap in 2002, when he landed the job of senior publicist at Emmerdale. He later secured the position of script editor at the programme.

In 2005, Blyth became a story associate at Coronation Street before moving onto the role of assistant producer.

After returning to Emmerdale in the position of series producer last year, he began steering a major revamp of the rural soap. His decisions included introducing the Sharma and Barton families, bringing back the characters of Cain and Charity and signing up a number of new cast members, including Kim Thomson, James Sutton, Suzanne Shaw and Pauline Quirke.

Sally Spode's evil revenge on village vicar Ashley Thomas, the tale of Mark Wylde's murder and Aaron Livesy's sexuality struggle were among the successful storylines which appeared on screens during his time with the soap.

Paying tribute to Blyth, Emmerdale's executive producer Steve November said: "Gavin has made an immense contribution to Emmerdale since taking over as series producer in January 2009 and during many hugely successful years at ITV.

"As a friend and colleague, he will be missed an incredible amount by us all. It is a very sad day for everyone at Emmerdale. Our thoughts are with Gavin's family and those closest to him at this difficult time."

RIP

I can't believe I arrived online and read about this What a shock. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

His influence on Emmerdale is going to be sorely missed. He made the show one of the best soaps on the box again, devising some great characters and stories.

RIP.

The Late Gavin Blyth

RIP he was very young and he did well as producer some top cracking storylines

Tributes have today flooded in for Emmerdale's series producer Gavin Blyth, who passed away last night at the age of 41.

Members of Emmerdale's cast and crew, fans of the soap and colleagues from Blyth's time at Coronation Street are among those who have spoken of their admiration for him over the past few hours.

Writing on Twitter earlier today, Danny Miller - who plays Aaron Livesy on the show - commented: "A friend, a incredibly intelligent man, great father and husband! And a true gent!! God bless you mate and may you rest in peace! … Wouldn't be the person I am today without the legend that is Gavin Blyth! Amazing man! Love him!"

Lyndon Ogbourne - who recently bowed out as Nathan Wylde - said: "Gavin Blyth was a friend, a total gent and a true legend. For everything that he did for me, and everyone. RIP."

Suzanne Shaw - Eve Jenson in the soap - told her online followers: "Someone makes the world special by just being in it. Gavin RIP x"

Jake Roche - known for his guest role as Isaac Nuttall - said: "Just found out about the news of Gavin Blyth. Shocking. I owe him a lot. He had the final say on casting. RIP. a true gent and genius x"

Kirsty-Leigh Porter, who plays bad girl Roz Fielding, and Emmerdale's assistant producer Tony Hammond both spoke of how they felt "honoured" to have worked for Blyth, while programme director Lee Salisbury said that the show chief "will be missed so much".

Coronation Street actor Antony Cotton (Sean Tully) also expressed his sadness on Twitter, while Weatherfield scriptwriter Jonathan Harvey described Blyth as a "lovely man" and "a real laugh".

What a waste of a young life, His poor family. RIP Gavin.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Emmerdale star Jason Merrells has paid tribute to the soap's late series producer Gavin Blyth, praising his ambition and vision for the show.

At the weekend, it was announced that Blyth had passed away at the age of 41 following a short period of ill health.

Speaking on This Morning today, Merrells said that Blyth's passion for Emmerdale had been one of the main reasons why he signed up for the role of Declan Macey back in February.

The actor commented: "Our producer Gavin sadly passed away this weekend and I've got to say that one of the reasons that I did this job was because of him.

"It was talking to him and listening to how he had a vision for the show that made me squash a lot of my - actually very stupid - preconceptions of soap, that I've lost now completely because of the great people there, the professionalism, and actually how much I'm enjoying it."

He added: "A lot of that was to do with Gavin and his vision and wanting it to be the best it can be. It's very difficult to make stuff that is on six nights a week and to keep those stories turning over and to keep the logic of those stories. I think Gavin was so keen on that - that was what was so exciting to join really, and it's a real shame."

A number of other Emmerdale stars have also praised Blyth in recent days, as have members of the show's crew and colleagues from his time at Coronation Street.

SOAP stars wept yesterday at the funeral of TV producer Gavin Blyth, who died of cancer last month aged just 41.

Corrie's Sally Dynevor (Sally Webster), Samia Smith (Maria Connor) and Emmerdale's Mark Charnock (Marlon Dingle) were among mourners at a church in Southport, Lancs.

Popular dad-of-three Gavin produced Emmerdale and worked on Corrie.

Pals said he was "a telly genius".

Emmerdale and Coronation Street actors attended soap producer Gavin Blyth's funeral earlier.

Blyth had previously worked on Corrie and was series producer of Emmerdale when he passed away last month.

Attendees at the Southport, Merseyside funeral included Dales stars Pauline Quirke and Matthew Wolfenden, who play Hazel Rhodes and David Metcalfe, and Coronation Street's Samia Smith (Maria Connor) and Sally Dynevor (Sally Webster).

Blyth died as a result of a short illness, ITV announced previously.

The 41-year-old left his wife Suzy and three children.

Rest in Peace
    Last edited by lizann; 09-12-2010 at 14:38.

Thread Information