Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy Duckworth

Does he move in with Tyrone? I'd like to see Ty have some fun

CORRIE'S Tommy Duckworth will keep up the family tradition when he flirts with FOUR leading ladies in his first episode back.
    He even tries to chat up lesbians Sophie Webster and Sian Powers.

Tommy last appeared as a shy eight-year-old, played by child actor Joseph Aston.

Now 19, the cheeky chappie will be portrayed by ex-Hollyoaks hunk and 2008 Dancing on Ice star Chris Fountain, 23. He returns from a year's backpacking around the world next month looking for grandad Jack - and is devastated to learn he has died.

But he soon shows he's a ladies' man - just like Jack when he appeared in 1979 - by charming barmaid Tina McIntyre and Kylie Turner.

First Tommy flusters shop assistant Sophie before trying to chat up her lover Sian in the cafe. He asks her if she has a boyfriend, to which Sian cheekily replies: "Not exactly."

Sophie turns up and says to a shocked Tommy: "Do you mind letting go of my girlfriend's hand!"

He then upsets David Platt. by getting too close to his girlfriend Kylie, and Kevin Webster - with remarks about the mechanic's daughter Sophie.

But it's Tina who falls under his spell. Tommy persuades her to go to Tyrone's to watch a horror DVD - and she doesn't flinch when he puts his arm round her.

(c) The Sun

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-02-2011)

Chris Fountain has insisted that his Coronation Street character Tommy Duckworth will not be a villain.

The former Hollyoaks actor was cast in the part late last year, following in the footsteps of Darryl Edwards and Joseph Aston, who portrayed the younger versions of the character.

As Tommy's father is bad boy Terry Duckworth, fans have speculated over whether the Weatherfield returnee could take after his dad.

However, in an interview with Soaplife, Fountain explained: "He is the son of Terry Duckworth but I don't think he's going to be as bad a character.

"He's more of a loveable rogue. He could be seen as quite smug and arrogant, but he's very charming. A real Jack the lad probably describes him best."

The star also confirmed reports that Tommy has an eye for the ladies, but added: "He doesn't make a good start. He tries it on with Sophie then with Sian. Later he sees them together and realises they're lesbians. But it's Tina who catches his eye."

Fountain makes his Coronation Street debut on March 28.

DS

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    CORRIE'S Tommy Duckworth will keep up the family tradition when he flirts with FOUR leading ladies in his first episode back.
    He even tries to chat up lesbians Sophie Webster and Sian Powers.

Tommy last appeared as a shy eight-year-old, played by child actor Joseph Aston.

Now 19, the cheeky chappie will be portrayed by ex-Hollyoaks hunk and 2008 Dancing on Ice star Chris Fountain, 23. He returns from a year's backpacking around the world next month looking for grandad Jack - and is devastated to learn he has died.

But he soon shows he's a ladies' man - just like Jack when he appeared in 1979 - by charming barmaid Tina McIntyre and Kylie Turner.

First Tommy flusters shop assistant Sophie before trying to chat up her lover Sian in the cafe. He asks her if she has a boyfriend, to which Sian cheekily replies: "Not exactly."

Sophie turns up and says to a shocked Tommy: "Do you mind letting go of my girlfriend's hand!"

He then upsets David Platt. by getting too close to his girlfriend Kylie, and Kevin Webster - with remarks about the mechanic's daughter Sophie.

But it's Tina who falls under his spell. Tommy persuades her to go to Tyrone's to watch a horror DVD - and she doesn't flinch when he puts his arm round her.

(c) The Sun
    David wont be happy

Former Hollyoaks star Chris Fountain makes his Coronation Street debut towards the end of the month, and his character Tommy Duckworth ruffles feathers on the cobbles from the very beginning.

Arriving at the garage looking for Tyrone, Tommy immediately ends up in an argument with a testy Kevin, who's not in the mood for visitors amid his ongoing divorce wars with Sally. Shortly afterwards, a cocky Tommy infuriates Kevin again by flirting with Sophie and Sian and expressing disappointment when he realises they're lesbians.

When Tommy finally comes face-to-face with Tyrone, he explains that he's been away backpacking and has arrived in Weatherfield to see his grandfather Jack. Taking him back to the house, Tyrone then faces the tricky task of telling Tommy that Jack has died, before offering him a place to stay for the time being.

As Tommy settles in over the next few days, he's bowled over when he meets Tina McIntyre and invites her back to the house for a drink.

Feeling isolated as Graeme and Xin spend more time together perfecting their wedding scam, Tina agrees to join Tommy and Tyrone for the evening. But will she fall for confident charmer Tommy?

Tommy Duckworth - last seen in 2000 with Joseph Aston in the part - makes his return on Monday, March 28. Tommy and Tina's scenes air on Thursday, March 31 at 8.30pm on ITV1.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-03-2011)

Chris Fountain (Tommy Duckworth, Corrie) DS Interview

Chris Fountain makes his debut in Coronation Street next week, appearing in the role of Tommy Duckworth. Viewers last saw Tommy as a child character back in 2000, but Jack and Vera's grandson is now all grown up and ready to make his mark in Weatherfield as his charming and confident nature causes a stir on the cobbles. Tommy flirts with Sophie and Sian within minutes of his arrival on the street, but he soon has another local lady in his sights… Here, Chris chats to Digital Spy about joining Corrie and what's to come from Tommy.

When did you first hear about the role of Tommy?
    "I think it was around September last year, when I had a call from my agent saying that she'd spoken to Coronation Street's producer Phil Collinson and that he was interested in seeing me about a part. I didn't hear anything else for a couple of months after that and I was also up for a few other parts. My agent later spoke to Phil again and he was asking what I was up to, so she told him about the roles that I was up for and how I was quite close to getting them. Phil told her that he definitely wanted to see me over this part and that he'd get me up to the set straight away."

What happened next?
    "I got a train up to Manchester and did a screen test. Then a couple of weeks later, they rang me up and told me that I'd got the part, which was great."

Did you always know that you were auditioning for a member of the Duckworth family, or was that only revealed to you later?
    "Yeah, I always knew he was a Duckworth and I was also familiar with the character because I used to watch Coronation Street as a youngster, so I remembered how Jack and Vera would always be talking about 'our Tommy' and how he was the golden boy! So I always knew and the fact that he's a Duckworth is part of the reason why it's such an attractive role to play."

How was the character of Tommy first described to you?
    "They described him as a cheeky chappy with a bit of swagger about him and also an eye for the ladies - and that for me was a selling point, really! I didn't get a full character breakdown until a couple of days before I started, so I learned later that he'd been busy travelling around the world and he's a bit of a free spirit. He's one of those loveable characters who can say something that's out of order but people still like him, just because he's Tommy. He's got a kind of charisma that borders on arrogance but doesn't quite cross over to that - he's quite a charming guy."

Tommy arrives on the street looking for Jack, doesn't he?
    "Yeah, Tommy's been travelling around the world and he thinks that now is the time to go to see his granddad for a bit, maybe stay around in Weatherfield and see if there's any work in the area. But sadly, he's told by Tyrone that Jack is dead."

Do you think Tommy seems quite similar to Jack in some ways?
    "Yeah, completely. When Jack first started he was all over the ladies on the street and, like Tommy, he was one of those characters who could say something that was really out of order, but people would say, 'Oh, it's just Jack'! Like Tommy, Jack was a bit of a loveable rogue."

As Tommy does have an eye for the ladies, could he become a love rat on the street, or is he more of a cheeky ladies' man?
    "I'd say he's more of a cheeky ladies' man, to be honest. He doesn't seem like the kind of character who's going to go around making people upset or hurting people on purpose - he's just a bit of a heartbreaker, really! He's got all of the chat-up lines, he's got great banter and he's really confident when it comes to speaking to women. We'll see him get quite a lot of attention on the street."

Is it true that we'll see Tommy taking a shine to Tina McIntyre?
    "Well, he takes a bit of a shine to everybody on the street! He chats up Sian, he chats up Sophie but then he definitely does take a bit of a shine to Tina when he meets her in the pub. Tina then spends an evening with Tyrone and Tommy at the Duckworths' house, watching a film."

How does Graeme feel about Tommy's interest in Tina?
    "I don't think he's very happy! He sees Tina leaving Tommy's house after she's stayed over at the Duckworths' on that night. Nothing's happened and they've just watched a DVD together, but Graeme takes that the wrong way…"

As Tommy is staying with Tyrone, will that be a permanent arrangement and do they become close friends?
    "I'm not sure if it's permanent just yet, but at the minute it's a place for him to stay while he's around on the street. But obviously Tyrone is the closest thing to family that Tommy has got on the street, so they bond straight away and Tommy becomes quite protective over Tyrone."

As the Duckworths are such an iconic part of Corrie's history, have you felt the pressure of continuing their legacy?
    "Yeah, completely. Duckworth is one of the most celebrated and recognisable names in soap, so there is a pressure with coming in to play a member of the family. Especially as I'm coming straight in on my own to continue the name - it's not as if I'm coming in with a brother or family member, I'm literally coming in to take the whole name of the Duckworths myself. So I do feel quite a bit of pressure. I really hope that he'll be a liked character, because obviously the Duckworths were absolutely fantastic on the street - Jack and Vera were absolute legends, and Tommy's father Terry Duckworth is one of the all-time bad boys of soap. Coming in to take that name is a massive, massive deal and I'm trying to make sure that I do it justice."

Did you look back at any of Tommy's previous scenes to prepare for the role?
    "I didn't, but it's funny because I actually know Joseph Aston, who played Tommy when he was younger - that was quite strange, it's a small world! But I don't think Tommy was that much of a character when he was younger and he definitely didn't have any of the traits or personality that he has now - he's grown up in Blackpool, been away travelling, evolved as a person and evolved as a character. So I don't think it would have really been beneficial for me to look back, but I did look into some of the history with him and his dad and what happened there."

As Tommy is still a teenager, has it been strange to play a character who's quite a bit younger than you?
    "Not really. Justin on Hollyoaks was also younger than me. This is a little bit more of an age gap, but I think I can pull it off. If I give myself a shave I can definitely pass for 18 or 19."

As well as Tyrone and Tina, who have you been sharing a lot of screen time with?
    "I've been spending a lot of time in the garage, so I've been working with Michael Le Vell who plays Kevin quite a bit. It's mainly been Tyrone, Tina and Kevin so far."

Have you had the chance to film any scenes with the older cast members yet, showing Tommy meeting Jack's friends?
    "Not yet, but I haven't been filming for all that long so I've still only done a small portion of the scenes that I've got in the scripts. As of yet, I haven't had a chance to work with the older cast members but I'm looking forward to it and getting to know them. I'm probably going to be quite star-struck by people like Bill Roache and Barbara Knox!"

How welcoming have the Corrie cast been?
    "They've been absolutely unbelievable. I can't stress how welcoming everyone's been, and it's not just the cast - it's also the crew and even on my first day, the security woman at the gate said hello and welcomed me to Coronation Street. So everyone's been fantastic and I feel like I've been here for ages."

Were you friends with any of the cast before you joined?
    "Yeah, I was friends with quite a lot of the cast. I know the majority of the younger cast quite well - people like Ryan Thomas, Sam Aston and I went to school with Jack P. Shepherd. I don't know the older cast very well, so I'm currently making friends with them and getting to know everyone else."

Would you like the producers to bring back Terry and explore the father-son relationship with Tommy at some point?
    "Yeah, if Terry came back, I think it would cause fireworks between a lot of the characters. It would be nice to see how that would pan out, because obviously Tommy is completely different to Terry - he hasn't got so much of a temper and I don't think he's a nasty person. It would definitely be quite interesting to see what happened if Terry came back."

What's your reaction to your recent British Soap Awards nomination for Sexiest Male?
    "I'm absolutely thrilled to bits - I've not even been on screen yet, so it's quite flattering to be up for Sexiest Male. It's great. A few people have asked me whether it would be quite an embarrassing award to win, but considering I haven't even been on screen yet, I'd take anything! (laughs) If it was Best Haircut, I'd take that as well!"

You had some really big storylines as Justin on Hollyoaks, so can we expect the same from Tommy?
    "I hope so! The Hollyoaks storylines were some of the greatest ones that I've been involved in. It would be nice to get the same kind of storylines here, because this show gets so many more viewers than Hollyoaks. That's not me saying that Coronation Street is better than Hollyoaks, but just for the sheer volume of viewers that Coronation Street gets. The live episode last year got 15 million viewers, so for me to get the same kind of storylines I got at Hollyoaks would be great for me because there's so many more people watching who I can prove my ability as an actor to."

Do you still look back on Hollyoaks fondly?
    "Yeah, completely. I had six absolutely wonderful years of my life there and all of the people there are just absolutely fantastic. I was so lucky with the character that I played because I was involved in pretty much every major storyline that happened while I was there. So I've got so many fond memories of Hollyoaks."

You did a lot of acting work in between leaving Hollyoaks and now, so has it been nice to prove yourself with other types of role before returning to the world of soap?
    "Yeah, when I left Hollyoaks, it was a big world out there and there's obviously only so many jobs to go around for actors. But I was on stage in a play called Departure Lounge for a bit, which was really nice, then I did Five Days which was another different experience and then I did Casualty as well. But to come into such a big show as Coronation Street is obviously fantastic for me - it means that I'm back in regular work again and I love being busy. I just really love taking on a character and trying to make that character my own. It's a great opportunity to do that here."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (28-03-2011)

SPOOKILY enough, an ex-Dancing On Ice finalist shows up in tonight’s CORONATION STREET (ITV1, 7.30pm, 8.30pm).

It’s Chris Fountain, runner-up in 2008, who takes on the role of Tommy Duckworth, grandson to the dearly departed Jack and Vera.

And one of the first things his character encounters is Corrie’s unique brand of customer service.

First, Tommy finds himself short-changed by an ultra-grumpy Sophie in the corner shop.

And then, when he wanders over to the garage, he gets a typically warm welcome from Kevin. “Are you looking for something,” Kev grunts.

“Apart from a smack in the gob?” It’s a relief, then, when he finally bumps into the bloke he’s actually looking for.

“Am I glad to see you!” he tells Tyrone.

“I’m Tommy. Jack’s grandson. Is he about . . ?”

Daily Star

Tommy Duckworth returns to Coronation Street tonight, Monday 28th March.

Let's take a look back at Tommy Duckworth and remind ourselves who he is and where he belongs in the scheme of things on the Street. With thanks to corrie.net

Tommy Duckworth first appeared: 9 September 1992
    Tommy Duckworth was born by caesarean whilst his father Terry was in Strangeways Prison for GBH. After spending a little time in Nº 9, Tommy and his mother Lisa moved back to her parents house in Blackpool. Lisa and Tommy came back to the Street in January 1993 to live with her lover, Des Barnes. Sadly, Lisa was knocked down by a car, and died on 12 February 1993.

Tommy's grandparents - Jack and Vera Duckworth - struggled to look after him. Vera gave up her job, but she looked forward to the end of the year when Terry would be released, and they could all rebuild their lives as one family. Unfortunately, Terry had other ideas, and on Christmas Eve 1993 he returned from the Hortons (Lisa's parents) in Blackpool without Tommy - he had SOLD his son to his in-laws !

Jack and Vera then saw Tommy regularly - they all went on holiday to a caravan in North Wales in May 1995 - but still missed him desperately. In June 1996, Terry appeared back in the Street with Tommy. The Hortons had failed to pay the £2,000 a year they had agreed to pay Terry for Tommy. Eventually the Hortons got him back by paying £10,000, and getting Terry to sign a document giving them total custody of Tommy until he is 18.

Actor Chris Fountain is the third actor to play Tommy Duckworth in Coronation Street. The other actors have been
    Darryl Edwards (9 September 1992 - 1997) and Joseph Aston (2 July - 30 August 2000). Interestingly, Joseph Aston is the brother of Sam Aston who currently plays Chesney in Corrie. Their sister Emily has also been on Coronation Street too as Becky Palme

Let hope Tommy like his Granddad. (lots of laugh with Jack over the years) If he is like Terry, then he's not going to be a very nice person.
    Time will tell.
    Last edited by layla; 28-03-2011 at 15:22.

So far so good I liked his debut

Thread Information