Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz McDonald (Beverley Callard)

Beverley Callard has admitted that she often neglected her health during her 22-year stint on Coronation Street.

The actress, who will be seen leaving Weatherfield in the coming weeks, told TV Times that the demands of being a regular on such a high-profile soap left her feeling exhausted and concerned for her health.

"Coronation Street is relentless," she explained. "For years I've put the job before everything. It's the only way to survive in that programme, but I'd put the job before my health and I can't do that anymore."

Callard has previously spoken out about suffering from depression and said that the treatment she receives for the condition had motivated her to make the decision to leave the cobbles after two decades.

"I'm still on medication and I just need some time for me. It wouldn't be fair to keep on working and make a commitment I couldn't keep," she commented.

The 54-year-old also revealed that her last scenes were particularly emotional.

Callard said: "At one point, the make-up artist, Jane, was shouting at me from behind the set, trying to be harsh with me to stop me crying."

DS

Beverley Callard has admitted that she expected Liz McDonald to be killed off when she quit Coronation Street.

The actress announced that she was leaving her role as the Rovers Return landlady last October. Callard previously confessed that she was "so relieved" to learn that Liz would survive the 50th anniversary tram crash.

"When I handed in my notice last summer, I thought they'd probably kill me off in the tram crash," she told TV Times. "They've been very good to me; they wanted to leave the door open and wanted Liz to come back at some point and I would never say never, that's for sure."

Asked what her plans for the future are, Callard said: "I couldn't stop being an actress. But what I don't want to do is play Liz under another name. If anything is like Liz, then I'd rather go back and play Liz."

However, the 54-year-old, who filmed her exit last month, said that she does not keep any of her character's infamous outfits.

"No, most days, I went to work and wished I was playing Emily Bishop, because at least she's warm and covered up," she quipped. "Although [my husband] Jon would sometimes see the outfits and say, 'Can you come home in that? Can you wear that in the bedroom?' I don't, I hasten to add!"

DS

Coronation Street guest star Rebecca Callard has revealed that she would like to return to the soap for more episodes in the future.

The actress recently filmed a short guest stint in the role of Ruth, a convict who will soon befriend Fiz Stape behind bars before things turn sour when it emerges that she has been dealing drugs at the prison.

Speaking to Inside Soap about her time at Coronation Street, Callard admitted: "It was so much fun to play a baddie because I'm not hard in real life at all. A few people have said to me that I'm going to be hated, so maybe I'll change my hair now!"

Discussing the chances of a comeback for Ruth, she continued: "At the moment, I have the summer off to look after my children, but I'd definitely love to do more episodes. I really like playing Ruth, so hopefully she'll be back at some point."

Rebecca is the daughter of former Coronation Street star Beverley Callard, who bowed out from her role as Liz McDonald earlier this year.

Discussing her mum, Rebecca said: "She'll definitely be tuning in, and she also gave me lots of technical advice about how Coronation Street is filmed."

The character of Ruth will be introduced in Monday night's Coronation Street double bill.

Corrie newcomer Rebecca Callard talks about her character Ruth
    Rebecca Callard, daughter of Beverley Callard who played Liz, was on ITV's This Morning earlier today talking about her character Ruth, who makes her on screen debut tonight as a fellow prisoner of Fiz Stape.

Rebecca said that her character will be "formidable, really interesting, hard and tough," and she is something completely different from the characters in costume dramas that she usually plays.

She added that she wouldn't want to be a character relating to Liz, as "it's nice to be doing something for myself." She insisted that although lots of people have said she only got the part because of her mum because that isn't obviously isn't true.

Rebecca will only be in nine episodes at first and she doesn't know if she can come back. She would like to though.

Seems getting your kit off isn't restricted to the young actresses! Four women in their 50s, two of them former soap stars and two from the talk show, Loose Women, have posed nude in protest, upset because there are so few good roles for women as they age. One of them is former Corrie star, Beverly Callard, who played Liz McDonald. Now, the way I see it, Bev had a great role but gave it up. It was her choice to leave Coronation Street, after all. I suppose she's finding it difficult to get another good role and that's probably the reason she participated.

Bev says she's less confident as she gets older because, these days, it seems like women over 35 are having less opportunities, much less women in their 40s and 50s. There are good parts but sometimes they have to be self-created and produced like the recent Scott and Bailey. It seems like the soaps are still writing for women of all ages but still focus on the younger women.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (20-09-2011), parkerman (15-11-2011)

Former Coronation Street star Beverley Callard has been forced to pull out of a pantomime in Sheffield for health reasons.

The actress, best known for her role as Weatherfield favourite Liz McDonald, had been scheduled to appear as the Wicked Queen in a production of Sleeping Beauty at the city's Lyceum Theatre.

Callard will now be replaced in the part by Margi Clarke, who played Coronation Street's Jackie Dobbs.

"I am so disappointed that I won't be able to take to the stage in Sleeping Beauty at the Lyceum this Christmas," Callard told the Manchester Evening News. "I am particularly sorry I won't have the opportunity to work with Damian Williams and Sid Sloane on this brilliant show."

She continued: "It's great my fellow Coronation Street cast member Margi has been able to take the wicked crown on. I know she'll have a fantastic time over the festive period and I wish all the cast and the audiences a very happy Christmas."

Dan Bates, chief executive of Sheffield Theatres, added: "We are sorry Beverley can't join us for Sleeping Beauty and we send her our best wishes for a speedy recovery."

Callard bowed out from Coronation Street earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Former Coronation Street star Beverley Callard has been forced to pull out of a pantomime in Sheffield for health reasons.
    Oh Yes She Has

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post

Seems getting your kit off isn't restricted to the young actresses! Four women in their 50s, two of them former soap stars and two from the talk show, Loose Women, have posed nude in protest, upset because there are so few good roles for women as they age. One of them is former Corrie star, Beverly Callard, who played Liz McDonald. Now, the way I see it, Bev had a great role but gave it up. It was her choice to leave Coronation Street, after all. I suppose she's finding it difficult to get another good role and that's probably the reason she participated.

Bev says she's less confident as she gets older because, these days, it seems like women over 35 are having less opportunities, much less women in their 40s and 50s. There are good parts but sometimes they have to be self-created and produced like the recent Scott and Bailey. It seems like the soaps are still writing for women of all ages but still focus on the younger women.
    No chance of getting Michelle Keegan to join the protest is there?

Just asking....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (15-11-2011)

Just so long as Mary and Emily don't join. Surprised Sally Webster hasn't joined seeing as she is regularly sans knickers

CORRIE favourite Bev Callard is broke after being hit with a tax bill of £60,000.

The 55-year-old actress — who quit as Street barmaid Liz McDonald 13 months ago — has been served with a bankruptcy order.

And she could be forced to sell her home in Salford — close to Manchester’s Granada TV studios, where Corrie is filmed — to pay her debts.

Last night mum-of-two Bev admitted she was in dire straits. A close pal said: “She’s no option but to go bankrupt if the tax office refuse to budge.”

Bev has been summoned to Official Receivers’ offices in Manchester — under her married name Beverley McEwan — to discuss the crisis.

Ill health left her unable to work for months after leaving the Street.

She has now signed up for a new series of Manchester-based BBC comedy In With the Flynns. Then she will join the first touring production of comedy drama Little Voice.

But the pal said: “It will take a while for her to get back on her feet financially and catch up from where she was.” It is not the first time four-times wed Bev has had financial problems.

Twelve years ago she and ex-hubby Steve Callard were chased by the taxman for £26,000.

Then in 2008 she was forced to sell her six-bed house when her pub business went bust with debts of £218,000.

Bev blamed the credit crunch and smoking ban.

Last night her spokesman declined to comment.

Thread Information