Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz McDonald (Beverley Callard)

She is due to leave this year, but I don't think she has gone already. I think she had time off to get married in real life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (05-01-2011)

If it was known she was having time off I am sure if the scriptwriers would have had her going to Spain as part of the story when she was last in the show, instead they seemed to be making excuses as to why she was not around. They manage it ok when someone leaves to have a baby. She should be there with her family and the crisis they are going through.
    It also happened with Gails dad, he never showed his face when she was having her crisis over the murder trial.
    What sort of parents are they.

Soap parents luv. Just like Tracyluv and Peter there was no mention of who was looking after Amy or Simon when Tracy was in the pub with Ken and Derdrie and Peter was out for a meal with Leanne.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Simon was having a sleep-over somewhere, can't remember where though at the moment.

CORRIE landlady Liz McDonald's final scenes will mirror Bet Lynch's exit - with a poignant last look around the Rovers Return.
    Liz, will finish her shift, lovingly place the bar towels over the beer pumps and slowly put on her coat.

Viewers will see Liz walk slowly to the door and pause for a final time before flicking off the light.

Bosses hope the emotional scenes - just like those of Bet actress Julie Goodyear, in 1995 - will win 20million viewers when they air on ITV1 next month.

Miniskirt-wearing Liz, played by Beverley Callard since 1989, runs out on son Steve to start a new life in Spain after failing to buy the pub for herself.

And she goes without saying goodbye to ex-husband Jim McDonald (Charles Lawson) - who is jailed for 20 years for a failed bid to rob a bank to get money for the pub.

The ex-squaddie gets such a long stretch due to his conviction for drug-dealer Jez Quigley's murder in 2000.

He begs Liz to wait for him.

She agrees, but after leaving the jail she secretly quits the country.

In October last year Beverley announced she was quitting the soap to spend more time with new husband Jon McEwan.

And she hoped leaving would help her return to full health after suffering a career-threatening breakdown in 2009.

Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson) is left as the only member of the family on the Street.

But Liz's departure leaves his future in the pub uncertain.

(c) The Sun

Beverley Callard has been wondering who will become the new Rovers Return landlady when she leaves Corrie.

The actress, who first joined Corrie as Liz McDonald more than 20 years ago, is set to say an emotional goodbye to the cobbles this spring.

But she told Inside Soap: "I'll be at home watching like everyone else. I'm interested to see who'll rescue the pub if Steve (Simon Gregson) has to sell-up."

Bev, a former landlady in real-life, added: "It's tough for publicans now, so it won't be an easy ride for anyone."

She joked: "Tracy (Kate Ford) could end up getting the pub. But she'd have no customers and it wouldn't last for long.

"I'm not sure if any of the current cobbles locals would be interested in buying into it, either.

"Maybe someone new could arrive to try to make a go of things. Steve still owns the pub right now though, so it depends if he's willing to hand over the reins or persevere."

Beverley Callard has revealed that she will film her Coronation Street exit next week.

The actress announced her decision to quit her role as Rovers Return landlady Liz McDonald last October. Press reports have claimed that her final scenes will see Liz bid an emotional farewell to the pub before leaving Weatherfield by herself.

Asked if the door was being left open for a potential return to the ITV1 soap during an appearance on This Morning, Callard said: "I think it is, but we've not actually filmed it yet. I think a lot of the newspapers have run stories about the exit."

She teased: "There's a couple of different versions anyway and so no one really knows yet. I believe I film it next week - either Wednesday or Thursday and so I'm not sure exactly what happens myself, but I don't think she dies."

Speaking about her decision to leave, Callard added: "I needed to take some time off, just for me really. I took some time off last year - they gave me some time.

"Then the new producer Phil Collinson said, 'Come back and shoot this amazing storyline'. When I read the script, I just thought, 'I can't say no to this!'.

Katherine Kelly has revealed it's war between Coronation Street barmaids Becky and Liz McDonald, as they go head-to-head to decide who will be crowned queen of the Rovers Return.

Becky (Katherine), who has been holding the fort in Liz's absence, decides she doesn't want to give up her grip that easily when the matriarch (played by Beverley Callard) returns to Weatherfield.

"War has been declared, and may the best woman win. Only one woman can win this - it's about territory, it's about the Rovers, it's about who is queen of the Rovers and there can only be one winner," Katherine teased on the soap's official website.

Liz's Weatherfield comeback adds more stress for Becky.

"It's all a bit much for poor old Becky at the moment. I think she wishes she was back on that beach in Spain," Katherine continued.

"She's got Max, that's the important thing, he is the light in her life. Her and Steve are same as ever, (relations with the) Alahans are not so good, Tracy - that's not so good - and then Liz comes back all of a sudden. It's a very timely return."

When Liz tries to "bully" Becky out of the pub, she meets resistance.

"When Becky's drunk, she thinks, 'No, Liz, you get out. I'm the queen of the Rovers and this is my home. It is fabulous!'" added Katherine, who is up for best actress at the British Soap Awards for her performance as Becky.

PA

Coronation Street legend Beverley Callard has revealed that she is relieved her character hasn't been killed off.

The actress, who announced last year that she would be leaving her role as Liz McDonald, confessed that she thought Liz might have perished in the tram crash.

She admitted to The People: "I told the producers last summer I wanted to leave and was sure they'd kill Liz off in the 50th anniversary tram crash. I was so relieved to learn she wouldn't die.

"My exit storyline is great. I wish I could tell you how good it is but I'd be in big trouble. In typical Liz style it involves men. But not just the one man - I am talking men.

"I may go back one day. I may find that I miss everything about the Street too much. The people there are my best friends in the world. I simply can't imagine not working."

Callard recently admitted that she quit the show because the filming schedule was "exhausting".

DS

Episode: 1
    Thursday, 21 April 2011, 9:00PM - 10:00PM

It is the end of a Corrie era as the nation prepares to say farewell to one of the best-loved characters in British soap history.

Liz McDonald, landlady of the Rovers and queen of the miniskirt, is leaving Coronation Street after more than 20 years behind the bar.

In this half-hour tribute on ITV1, friends and colleagues applaud the work of actress Beverley Callard, who has played Liz since arriving on the soap in 1989. The programme looks back at some of Liz’s greatest storylines and Beverley answers the question that everyone is asking: has one of TV’s treasures really gone for good… or will she one day return to Weatherfield?

The show reveals how Beverley made the character of Liz McDonald her own and established Liz as the leader of the McDonald clan. It explains how the family was created and how Beverley had a part to play in casting her two onscreen sons.

The programme also looks back at how Liz has worked her way through a string of unsuitable men – and a wardrobe full of unsuitable clothes. Farewell Liz is narrated by Denise Welch and includes interviews with Beverley herself, Charlie Lawson, Nicholas Cochrane, Julie Goodyear, Suranne Jones, Simon Gregson, Craig Charles, Kate Ford, Anne Kirkbride, Mervyn Watson and Kym Marsh.

ITV

Thread Information