Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz McDonald (Beverley Callard)

Last edited by Perdita; 01-11-2015 at 06:44.

Wednesday's episode confirmed to me that Liz intends to con Tony out of his share of the pub. When Steve said Tony hasn't yet paid for his actions and Liz agreed, I could see a lightbulb going on in her head. I hope we're right about this!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (05-11-2015), maidmarian (05-11-2015), Perdita (05-11-2015)

yes daz i agree, liz has a plan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-11-2015)

She s such a good actress. I really felt her pain when she was with Tony at the bar. There is a good chemistry between these two characters they play it so well.

i like tony shame he is leaving but glad liz getting even

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (07-11-2015), maidmarian (06-11-2015), Rear window (07-11-2015), sarah c (06-11-2015), swmc66 (06-11-2015)

Coronation Street's Beverley Callard is thanking her loyal fans for their support as she struggles with "the demons of depression".

The Liz McDonald actress opened up candidly and movingly about the subject of depression in a series of tweets on Wednesday (March 30).

"Been battling the demons of depression," she wrote. "One of the meds I'm on, has been stopped by pharmaceutical company, apparently it doesn't make money."

Callard was subsequently sent waves of support by Corrie viewers, who made sure the actress knew she was not alone in facing depression:

@Beverleycallard Stay Strong Bev! My dad suffered from it,it was horrible to see but there is light on the other side of the tunnel! Love u!
    — Layton J Smith (@layt2000) March 30, 2016

Reacting to the supportive messages, she later tweeted: "I'm getting there!!!! Thanks so much for all your good wishes."

Callard​ has been signed off from work on Corrie for up to two months so she can focus on her health, reports The Sun.

Earlier this year, Callard encouraged others battling depression to "always talk" about their feelings so as not to keep them bottled inside.

Individuals who are affected by this story, please contact Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 (www.samaritans.org) or Mind on 0300 123 3393 (www.mind.org.uk).

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coro...of-depression/

So will she go off to Spain to stay with Andy when Steve returns?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-03-2016), lizann (31-03-2016), Rear window (01-04-2016)

hope she fights it and is back on the street soon,but her mental health should be her top priority, good on her speaking out

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-03-2016), Perdita (31-03-2016), Rear window (01-04-2016), swmc66 (31-03-2016), tammyy2j (01-04-2016)

Coronation Street bosses have been forced to rework a number of scenes for Tony Stewart's funeral after Beverley Callard was signed off sick.

The actress, who plays Weatherfield's Liz McDonald, has been given two months off from the show after opening up about her depression battle.

It was revealed earlier this month that Liz's on-off partner Tony Stewart was being killed off off-screen, but she was due to be heavily involved in his funeral, which began filming last week.

However, Callard's break from the show has meant that certain key plots in the funeral scenes are being altered, with some being dropped altogether to cover her absence.

The Sun reports that Liz was even due to have a fight with Tony's son Jason at the service, but that has now had to be scrapped.

Fans rallied around to support Callard after she opened up candidly and movingly about the subject of depression in a series of tweets earlier this week.

"Been battling the demons of depression," she wrote. "One of the meds I'm on, has been stopped by pharmaceutical company, apparently it doesn't make money."

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-04-2016), swmc66 (01-04-2016), tammyy2j (01-04-2016)

Beverly Callard has opened up about her battle with depression after it was revealed she'd be taking a two-month break from Coronation Street to focus on her health.

The actress, who plays Liz McDonald, opened up to her fans on Twitter earlier this week, revealing that one of the meds she was taking has been stopped by the pharmaceutical company.

"The chemist said they didn't have it in stock, and initially I wasn't worried," she added to The Mirror. "But when I'd gone without Restandol for eight weeks, I knew I was sinking. It's the weirdest feeling to describe."

Callard also went on to reveal how the change to her prescription affected her at work.

"At first no one knew I was struggling," she said. "I wanted to keep it a secret. But I was getting worse and worse each day. I was getting ready in my dressing room and I couldn't take it anymore.

"Liz had to be dressed up for a certain scene – she had to wear a PVC outfit. Fear took over and I started to cry. I thought, 'I'm not confident enough to put this on. I can't do it'."

She continued: "A few days later, I was behind the bar in the Rovers when depression swamped me like a big blanket. I thought, 'I'm not brave enough to do this today.'

"I was crying and one of the make-up girls said, 'You're not well, are you, darling?' 'No', I said. 'I'm really not'. Bosses then sent me home."

Callard has taken a break from the soap before in 2009 after suffering from a nervous breakdown but has continued to be honest and open about her battle with depression.

"There is so much stigma around mental illness, and that's the reason you have to talk about it," she said.

"Everything in my life is amazing and wonderful right now and you think, 'How can this happen to me again? Why?' I've got a wonderful husband, a fantastic family and a great job. I've got nothing to moan about whatsoever.

"But once you start to slide into that black hole you can't ever imagine being well again."

The actress revealed in the interview that her co-stars have been "amazing" in their support of her, adding that Kate Ford (Tracy Barlow) "could see I was at the end of my tether".

Callard's sick leave has prompted Coronation Street bosses to rework a number of scenes for Tony Stewart's funeral, which Liz McDonald was due to be heavily involved in.

But it doesn't look like Callard is going to be away from the cobbles for too long, as the actress also shared: "Fortunately - or unfortunately for some - I will be in those PVC miniskirts very soon. From what I'm told, Liz will be back with a bang. I can't wait

She added: "I want to say to people like me, 'You will get better – the only thing is, you've got to be strong enough to ask for help.' The stigma surrounding mental health is not as bad as it used to be, but we have a long way to go – and we've got to keep on fighting.

"If I can do it, anyone can."

Individuals who are affected by this story, please contact Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 (www.samaritans.org) or Mind on 0300 123 3393 (www.mind.org.uk).

Digital Spy

I hope she gets better soon

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-04-2016)

Coronation Street legend Beverley Callard has opened up over her battle with depression in an inspiring and honest live TV interview, assuring fans that she'll be back on set soon.

The actress, who plays Rovers favourite Liz McDonald, appeared on ITV's This Morning today (April 6) following the recent news that she's been signed off work to focus on her health.

Callard has suffered with depression in the past, but experienced a new setback a few weeks ago when one of her medications was taken off the market for not being profitable.

This led to struggles on set as the 59-year-old continued in her popular role as Liz, with the final straw coming when she saw her character's latest skimpy outfit.

Speaking today about what happened, Callard explained: "I lose confidence totally. To be honest, to play Liz - you've got to be very brave to put those clothes on, I have to tell you!

"It was a PVC miniskirt and I just thought: 'Oh my goodness me'. Some days I think: 'Do I really have to wear this?' But that day I just thought: 'I just feel idiotic and maybe I'm not up for doing this anymore'. My confidence had just totally gone.

"Then I looked around on the set and there were all these beautiful females and I just thought: 'I can't do it'. I sat on the Rovers stairs for a little while, while they were moving cameras. I was just crying silently and one of the make-up girls said: 'You need to go home'."

Callard went to see her regular GP and a consultant, but she struggled to get the help she needed until her former Coronation Street co-star Denise Welch - who has herself battled depression - recommended a London-based expert.

"I came to see a Professor John Studd and he's saved my life," Callard said. "He just got the [medication] balance right and he told me how I was feeling and he was bang on.

"Denise Welch recommended him. We can go a year without talking to each other and then one of us will say: 'Hi, how are you?' She was amazing."

Callard urged anyone suffering similar problems to speak up and seek help. She also paid tribute to Coronation Street's former producer Stuart Blackburn, who granted her time off work as soon as he heard about her troubles.

She said: "Bosses need to be aware of it as well. I'm very fortunate that way. Stuart Blackburn our producer just said: 'You need some weeks out to get the medication right'. He understood straight away but many don't.

"I'm back [filming] on the 1st of May - in a PVC skirt I'm sure!"

Digital Spy

Thread Information