Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Liz McDonald (Beverley Callard)

Cool Liz McDonald (Beverley Callard)

Coronation Street favourite Beverley Callard is to leave the soap next year, it has been announced.

The actress - who has played Rovers Return landlady Liz McDonald on and off since 1989 - has made the decision to bow out of her iconic role to pursue pastures new.

In a statement, Callard explained: "I've loved every minute of my second stint on the street - it's always a difficult decision to make the leap but I returned for the 40th, so leaving for the 50th feels like perfect timing.

"I'll miss everyone on the show but I'm looking forward to some new challenges and to see what life has to offer beyond Liz's famous mini skirts!"

Meanwhile, Coronation Street's series producer Phil Collinson said: "Bev has created an iconic and much-loved character in Liz. She will be greatly missed behind the bar of The Rovers by the viewers of the show.

"She's a lovely lady and is such a talented actress. We all wish her well in whatever she does next and we hope to see the character of Liz return some time in the future. Plans are now being made for an exciting exit storyline for her departure next year."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (20-10-2010), Dazzle (20-10-2010), lizann (20-10-2010), tammyy2j (20-10-2010)

I hope she leaves with Jim

She said on Loose Women she is leaving Corrie for a while, so she could be back

Like most people who leave soaps to 'pursue new challenges' she will return when she discovers there is no work for her

Yay. I really don't like Liz. This is great news I hope she doesn't return again though grr.

As Alan said many soapstars leave and return because they can't find the work. Bev left before to run a pub but that went belly up. I think she may be back in her shorts skirts sooner than she'd like to be.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I like to see Liz get a really good storyline (not about chasing men) like rape, cancer or assault maybe she could completely change her image also

Another that dont die from tram crash
    Last edited by lizann; 20-10-2010 at 17:56.

Beverley Callard has admitted that quitting Coronation Street was one of the most difficult decisions she has ever made.

The actress announced earlier today that she is leaving her role as Liz McDonald early next year in order to pursue pastures new.

Speaking on ITV1's Loose Women this afternoon, Callard explained: "I've made a massive decision over the last few months, a big one, one of the hardest ones I've ever made - I've decided to leave Coronation Street for a while."

She added: "It's not because I'm disloyal - I love it. As you know, I'll always be loyal to the show. But as an actor, I just want to go back on stage again for a while and maybe do some other things.

"I'm getting married, as you all know, and I want some time with my new husband. But I will always be loyal."

Callard has played the role of Liz on and off since 1989.

Kym Marsh has admitted that she was "gutted" when she first heard that her Coronation Street co-star Beverley Callard had decided to quit the soap.

Callard recently revealed that she is bowing out of her role as Weatherfield's Liz McDonald in order to pursue new projects.

Writing in her New magazine column in response to Callard's announcement, Marsh commented: "We're very close and so she told me the news before it hit the headlines - I was gutted."

The actress - who plays barmaid Michelle Connor - added: "I'm going to miss her so much, but she's got to do what's best for her and I fully support her. Of course I'll still see her out of work and, as she's a very creative person, I'm certain she'll take on other TV roles in the future."

On screen next week, viewers will see Liz and Michelle clash in The Rovers as they fall out over Ciaran McCarthy - prompting Michelle to quit her job at the pub.

Callard will make her departure from Coronation Street early next year.

More ramblings from the publicity seeking Ms Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    I like to see Liz get a really good storyline (not about chasing men) like rape, cancer or assault maybe she could completely change her image also

Another that dont die from tram crash
    Unless she gets badly injured and dies in the new year.

Thread Information