Thread: Rita Simons Joins as Marie

playing marie the just out of prison mother of joel

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hol...s-rita-simons/

Hollyoaks actor Rory Douglas-Speed has spoken about EastEnders fan favourite Rita Simons joining the cast.

The Roxy Mitchell actress will play Marie, the mother of Douglas-Speed's character Joel Dexter. Marie is set to cause quite a storm once she arrives in the village following her release from prison, which is the last thing Joel needs when his brother Abe is already getting under his skin.

Speaking to Inside Soap, Douglas-Speed teased: "Joel and Abe's mum Marie arrives in the middle of [a] fight. It's the best soap entrance, just what you'd expect with Rita Simons!"

"She's a soap icon!" he added. "We'd never met before, but I feel as though I've known her my whole life.

"We got told off on set for laughing too much ? however, when it's time to film a take, Rita turns it on and you're dumbstruck watching her."

Douglas-Speed explained that Joel's issues with Marie come from her being an alcoholic when he grew up, as well as her relationship with Abe's dad Nick, who was a "terrible guy".

While Joel managed to get out of the situation, Abe was too young and had to stay, which has led to Abe being full of resentment.

"There's a real darkness in Abe," he explained.

Seeing as Joel has managed to patch things up with dad Warren Fox, despite all their history, the actor feels that Joel should try with Marie, but admits that there will be plenty of "stumbling blocks" along the way.

Thread Information