Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelley And Charlie

The Shelly/Charlie Storyline

I think Corrie are doing an excellent job with this. The storyline is so realistic and over a long period of time, which makes it more real. Shellys character has changed so much but only gradually and people are just starting to notice how much.

The storyline has built up from just nigglie things like what she is wearing to Shelly becoming an agrrephobic (sp?).

Hopefully Charlie will get his commupance, but not every story has a happy ending.

If it helps just one person to escape from this type of situation it will be worth it. It will also help family members recognise signs of emotional abuse.

Congratualtions to the writers and actors involved in this, they are doing an excellent job!

I couldn't agree more, the fact they are playing this out over a long period (in soap time) makes this real to viewers, hopefully they will be able to recognise the different situations Shelly and her extended circle of friends have found themselves in, such as Shelly’s relationship with Sunita and her mother, or lack of it at the moment, and Charlie’s increasing hold over her.

Domestic violence is not just a case of one person hitting the other, it covers a variety of circumstances, such as the emotional abuse Shelly is currently suffering. Sadly things are going to get worse for Shelly as the story progresses, but as we know Bill Ward who plays Charlie is leaving and hopefully this will prove to be a good thing for Shelly.

If you do know anyone who is going thorough similar situation be it a friend, family member or yourself, you can talk to our agony aunt, Aunt Sally in confidence, who can provide advice and contact numbers of organisations who can help.
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 11-06-2005 at 14:00.

I'm not keen on the storyline because it's boring. It is acted good and I believe in what's happened but I'm not really interested. Like you say it goes on enough in real life without having it on a programme that's supposed to entertain and not depress. I know you could then turn around and say the same thing about abuse storylines where the woman gets beaten up but I prefer those ones because a lot more can happen in that situation. At the moment I just think Shelley is being pathetic. Peter done enough to damage her to make her become an agraphobic but she didn't she just punched him and got on with her life so Charlie telling her she's fat should be a doddle to her!

please let us know what you all think of this and the issues it brings up,

we are also kee to know what you think of other "real" issues and stories that are coverered in corrie, for example, do you aspire to be on tv like Candice, have you been involved with an older man like Katy?

we really want your opinions on things like this in order to help members who are in similar situations

don't forget Aunt Sally is also here should you need her!

Like I say Rach I believe the situation so it's been done very good in that respect but I'm just not interested in it. Atm though that and the Danny/Leanne storyline is the best they have going.

i agree it is important to raise issues like this one as it is mirrered in everyday life to so many people but also agree that the novelty does wear off after a few months i understand why it has been dragged out for so long but that doesn't make it any easier for us to enjoy a storyline that drags on for so long i loose interest in what is going to happen after the first few months and stop caring.
    hope that they do wrap it up in some way soon -although i can't see how they are going to do it shelley will never come to her senses no matter how many people know what he is doing she s too besotted and he is too clever to do anything to her apart from the mental torment so can't get in trouble for it without shelley saying anything talk about a vicious circle

Quote Originally Posted by Walford Queen
    Atm though that and the Danny/Leanne storyline is the best they have going.
    i dont really like the storyline between danny/leanne/frankie and jamie i think it just seems too sleazy for the time being dont really think that corrie has any gripping storylines going on am sick of the baker already and sally going from job to job dont like keith and hate tracy and steve together

i think that corrie handle issues really well. The shelley and charlie one is acted really well and is really gripping. I like the way corrie build things up to a huge climax if you know what i mean.

Thumbs down Shelley And Charlie

Is Anyone Fed Up Wiv The Whole Shelley And Charlie Storyline. I Mean Who Would Honestly Put Up Wiv A Bloke Like Him And Who Would Stay In There Bedroom For Weeks On End! It Is Dragging On For Too Long And Getting Very Boring!

you'll be surprised what people put up with in thise situations, domestic abuse is not over overnight, corrie are trying to make it as real as possible so that people in those sort of situations can identify with shellys plight

it does happen, you become dependant on a person and there is no escape, you become isolated and vunerable

Thread Information