Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gift Ideas thread

Christmas Gift Ideas thread

Please don't shoot me...

I thought we could do with a thread where we can ask and suggest ideas for those hard to buy relatives and friends. I've started my shopping today, just buying for my parents, nephew and niece.

My mum and niece are sorted, nephew is pretty much there but my dad has stumped me, as usual.

He doesn't play sport, he doesn't garden or read or fish or watch films or play computer games. He does smoke, which I think he enjoys but my mum keeps nagging him to quit He likes old music like Led Zeppelin and Elvis. I've looked at several gift websites but all the male gifts are targeted at 20-something guys who like gadgets. My dad is 47.

Please help, the dratted day isn't that far off and I don't want to leave it too much longer because prices go up, delivery starts to get delayed and I hate going shopping in crowds.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Hmm well if he likes smoking, maybe get him like a zippo lighter with elvis on, or a tobacco tin with elvis on? or something smoking related with Elvis on.
    Or have you looked at merchandise of Elvis and Led Zeppelin? You might see something that makes you think "wow, that's so dad". ?

Hmm I need help too.

BF - he has made a list, so getting a few things off that, but wanna get some other stuff to surprise him aswell.. but I don't really know what to get? What's a good gift for a boyfriend?

Dad - I haven't got many ideas :s but there are a few things.. but I was thinking a book as a side present, cos he's just getting in to reading... can anyone recommend a good book? I think he quite likes murderish ones, and he did enjoy the Da Vinci Code... but not sure what others.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLea For This Useful Post:

Abigail (10-10-2010)

Would your dad appreciate a donation to a charity, such as adopting a donkey or meerkat etc. As he smokes, maybe a personalised lighter.Or if he wants to quit smoking, a hypnotherapy session to help him on the way? Don't know how much that woudl cost though, lol. Would he be interested in discovering your family's coat of arms? How about a nice photograph of him or the family in a nice frame? Can't think of anything else

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Abigail (10-10-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLea View Post
    Hmm well if he likes smoking, maybe get him like a zippo lighter with elvis on, or a tobacco tin with elvis on? or something smoking related with Elvis on.
    Or have you looked at merchandise of Elvis and Led Zeppelin? You might see something that makes you think "wow, that's so dad". ?

Hmm I need help too.

BF - he has made a list, so getting a few things off that, but wanna get some other stuff to surprise him aswell.. but I don't really know what to get? What's a good gift for a boyfriend?

Dad - I haven't got many ideas :s but there are a few things.. but I was thinking a book as a side present, cos he's just getting in to reading... can anyone recommend a good book? I think he quite likes murderish ones, and he did enjoy the Da Vinci Code... but not sure what others.
    I got OH the book The Dangerous Book For Boys by Hal Iggulden, very entertaining book, how to do things, how things used to be, bit of history, bit of everything in it, would appeal to most guys, I think

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (10-10-2010)

that sounds like something he would enjoy actually. thank you perdy

You are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Would your dad appreciate a donation to a charity, such as adopting a donkey or meerkat etc. As he smokes, maybe a personalised lighter.Or if he wants to quit smoking, a hypnotherapy session to help him on the way? Don't know how much that woudl cost though, lol. Would he be interested in discovering your family's coat of arms? How about a nice photograph of him or the family in a nice frame? Can't think of anything else
    Hmm I'm not sure about a charity donation. Hypnotherapy... he's had that twice and it failed both times I think we've already got our coat of arms, my mum's researched a lot into my paternal grandfather's side of the family. Photograph... hmm could do something with that. Maybe snapfish.
    Thanks CrazyLea

sorry could not be of any help, really

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I got OH the book The Dangerous Book For Boys by Hal Iggulden, very entertaining book, how to do things, how things used to be, bit of history, bit of everything in it, would appeal to most guys, I think
    I have that at home and one for Girls too..lots of projects and history for girls to do.. both really good books
    Super Mod

I hate buying for for male relatives. I'm a cop out I stick to the good old fashion socks and Boxers.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information