Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Big Jim McDonald returns so he does

Nope, is not going to happen

Sorry, Coronation Street doesn't have any plans to bring Jim McDonald back at the moment.

Charles Lawson, who has played Steve's dad on and off since 1989, sparked rumours when he revealed that Jim could be getting out of prison ahead of his 2018 release date.

But it's not looking likely, as a Corrie spokesperson told Digital Spy: "There are currently no plans for Jim McDonald to return but the character will be referenced in an upcoming storyline."

Lawson had told The Sun: "I speak to Simon [Gregson] every fortnight or every week in fact, and he always lets me know what's going on and I believe there's the possibility of something happening sort of over the winter time.

"I had 11 years' full time on there, 10 of which were brilliant and all the storylines since I've gone back have been good. You don't bring Jim back just to have a pint in the Rovers. There's always something big."

Jim's currently behind bars for holding up a bank with a gun to try to secure funds for ex-wife Liz to buy The Rovers back in 2011.

He made a brief return to the show in 2014, when he tried to blackmail Peter Barlow in prison after they wound up in neighbouring cells.

While viewers won't be seeing Jim back on the cobbles anytime soon, the good news is that another Weatherfield legend is returning.

Coronation Street recently confirmed plans to bring back Peter Barlow and two other members of the family – Adam Barlow and Daniel Osborne.

Digital Spy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (30-07-2016)

he is coming back out of prison so he is

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-04-2018), Perdita (07-04-2018), Rear window (07-04-2018)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (08-04-2018)

Coronation Street legend Jim McDonald is making a comeback to the ITV soap in the near future.

Jim, who is played by actor Charlie Lawson, is currently languishing in prison after being jailed for armed robbery in 2011.

But he's due for release in the coming weeks and once he's out, he will be heading straight back to the cobbles.

"They wanted me back full time this year, but I couldn't do it as I am doing Rebus on stage and a thriller," Charlie said (via The Mirror).

"I'm going to film a bit but then will be back again next year."

A spokesperson for the soap said: "Jim is such a hugely popular character. We're delighted he is coming back for what will be a typically explosive Jim storyline."

Digital Spy has reached out to ITV for further comment.

Jim is expected to return for his son Steve's (Simon Gregson) second wedding to Tracy Barlow (Kate Ford) later this spring.

Liz visits Jim again
    © ITV

He originally menaced the cobbles between 1989 and 2000, but he has returned since, with numerous appearances from 2003–2005 and 2007–2011.

He was sent to 'the big house' in 2011 for trying to rob a building society so his wife Liz (Beverley Callard) could buy the Rovers.

He was last seen briefly in 2014, when he was causing trouble for Peter Barlow (Chris Gascoyne) in prison.

But how will his family – and Peter for that matter – react to his comeback?

Digital Spy

Coronation Street legend Charlie Lawson will soon be returning to the cobbles as Jim McDonald, but in what circumstances will we find him now that he's out of "the big house"?

Revealing a few hints as to what fans can expect when Jim makes his comeback, producer Kate Oates told the Radio Times that there is "a great story" heading our way.

Despite being granted freedom seven years after going to prison for armed robbery, Kate has said that Jim will be carrying "a lot of resentment" when he arrives.

"We have some amazing stuff with Jim McDonald," she explained. "He's going to be coming back with a lot of resentment because of what Steve did."

Charles Lawson, Jim McDonald, Coronation Street
    © ITV

Referring to a storyline back in 2016 where Jim called son Steve from prison to tell him he may have inherited a muscle-wasting condition, Kate said: "From Jim's point of view, he's been rotting in prison and no-one cares.

"[For 18 months] it seemed like Steve might have inherited a genetic disease from his dad, but no-one went to see Jim to ask if he was okay. We have a great story to play with that."

We have a feeling this is going to be good, so we do.

Steve McDonald in Coronation Street
    © ITV

Confirming Lawson's return to the soap last month, a spokesperson for Coronation Street said the show was "delighted" to have the iconic character back.

"Jim is such a hugely popular character. We're delighted he is coming back for what will be a typically explosive Jim storyline," they said.

Digital Spy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Rear window (04-05-2018)

Seen online:

Coronation Street is set to bring back Jim McDonald with a bang – but he isn’t alone as he rocks up with his and Liz’s daughter Katie! Viewers may remember that long ago, Liz and Jim endured the heartache of losing their daughter after she was born prematurely in 1992. However, as newly released Jim arrives back in Weatherfield with Katie in tow, the now adult woman explains that she was adopted by Australian parents – and Liz is left stunned by the shocking development that changes everything as Jim tells her that there had been a mix up at the hospital. For long term viewers, it will be one hell of a shock – not to mention for Liz and Steve.

I hope this is not true, we already had the baby switched at birth with Michelle and Ryan and Ali ..

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Splashy (16-07-2018), tammyy2j (17-07-2018)

I've just heard about this and I'm also hoping it's not true. Not only have we already had the Ryan and Ali storyline, there was also the twist regarding Adam Barlow and how Susan hadn't aborted him after all. Why do the writers need to re-write history just to introduce stupid, unbelievable plots? It was a huge storyline for Liz at the time and she has often referred to Katie over the years, especially when Rory died. It also means that there's a couple out there who've found out that the daughter they brought up isn't theirs and that their real child died at birth. If they go ahead with this rubbish I'm not sure I can watch it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emerald For This Useful Post:

Brucie (19-07-2018), Perdita (17-07-2018), tammyy2j (17-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    I've just heard about this and I'm also hoping it's not true. Not only have we already had the Ryan and Ali storyline, there was also the twist regarding Adam Barlow and how Susan hadn't aborted him after all. Why do the writers need to re-write history just to introduce stupid, unbelievable plots? It was a huge storyline for Liz at the time and she has often referred to Katie over the years, especially when Rory died. It also means that there's a couple out there who've found out that the daughter they brought up isn't theirs and that their real child died at birth. If they go ahead with this rubbish I'm not sure I can watch it.
    Also Mary having a son Jude

I wonder is this all a plan by Jim to win back his Elizabeth, I mean he was in prison so how did he find Katie alive in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Also Mary having a son Jude

I wonder is this all a plan by Jim to win back his Elizabeth, I mean he was in prison so how did he find Katie alive in Australia
    Read somewhere that Katie found him .. not sure how though as he is in prison .. would he have access to social media??

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Read somewhere that Katie found him .. not sure how though as he is in prison .. would he have access to social media??
    I would not consider facebook and twitter big on his agenda inside

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (17-07-2018), Perdita (17-07-2018)

Thread Information