Thread: New Phone, new contract, New network

New Phone, new contract, New network

Hey everyone, Im looking at getting a new phone Ive had my current one for 3 years and I NEED a new one!

I want to go on contract for the first time, and would like a touchscreen phone

Also though I want to change network, Ive been on virgin for ages, but since im going on contract I dont feel the need to be with them anymore, Im thinking of going to orange but my main question at the moment was people on here would reccomend?

Thanks in Advance

I'm with 02 and they're really good. My dad has a contract with them and hasn't had a problem. I have a Samsung Tocco Lite which is a touch screen, but I don't know if they're available now. The only problem with it is the internal memory isn't big enough and the memory card wasn't included as it was with my previous phone. My friend has an LG touch screen of some sort but lately she has been complaining that it's playing up.

Ive been looking at samsung phones for some reason there seems to be more choice with them

Although a bit more expensive than other networks, I have been on vodafone for years and never had any issues with them.. they have massive coverage all over Europe, in fact the only phones that got signal in the holiday village my mum went to was vodafone, all other networks couldn't get one so even in remote areas they work.. also their bill pay option are good and you get a free phone with it plus every 18 months you are entitled to an upgrade which can also be a free phone.
    Super Mod

Whichever network you decide to go with I'd recommend getting a sim free contract and buying a phone outright. In the long run it'll save you money because on contract you are paying more than the phone is worth. Plus you will most likely get more minutes/texts with that type of plan.
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

I was with Vodafone and I had no problems. I took the insurance and when my phone broke, they repaired it within a week and returned it to a different shop for me to collect.

Before you take a contract out, check that you can get a good signal in your home and uni areas. Network providers have a coverage checker on their websites. If you do buy a contract and you can't get coverage, the contract is deemed void but its better to check before hand and save yourself trouble.

What contract you get depends on whether you phone or text more. I do tend to agree with Kasple as sim only contracts have a 30days cancellation on them, phone and sim contracts usually last 12-24 months.

Have a look on moneysupermarket to compare contract prices.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I confused about sim contracts

Sim only contracts are where you pay for a sim card with X number of minutes and texts per month. You don't get a phone free but it means you can put the sim card in any phone you like. Most sim only contracts are on a monthly rolling basis and you can cancel them with 30days notice without paying a penalty.

On normal phone contracts you usually pay for the phone and the minutes and texts. You're tied to that contract for either 12, 18 or 24months. If you want to upgrade your contract or phone within that time, you have to pay a penalty. You also have to wait a certain length of time before you can downgrade your contract (if you can't afford it or you'd be better off on a lower tarrif). With Vodafone I had to wait ten months into the 18month contract before I could downgrade and 16months before I could upgrade. You're also stuck with that phone for pretty much the whole duration of the contract unless you upgrade a few months before it finishes (again, you have to pay a penalty to get out of the contract).

If you can afford to buy a phone, do that and get a sim only contract. They're usually cheaper than phone + sim contracts.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Thread Information