Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a new laptop

Have a look through the dell website and see which one you can afford then go and look at in PC World. When you are ready to buy check the PC World price against DELLs own website because they often have great offers available

I highly recommend Toshiba. I've had a Dell (Inspiron I think) and to be honest, it was bulky, heavy and slow. This was about four years ago so I'm not sure how they've come on since then.

I'm on my second Toshiba Satellite Pro (L300D and L450). They are both brilliant laptops, easy to use, not too much bloatware, quick and excellent displays. Personally I preferred the L300D to to 450 as it had a quicker processor.

You can get some great deals online. Ebuyer and Amazon are my top choices. I would stay away from PC World, they're overpriced and customer service and aftersales is somewhat lacking.

I would say, once you've decided on the make and model, have a look on the internet to see if you can get it any cheaper. Dell have also started selling in selected shops now but I don't know how the prices compare. Also, wait for the "back to school" sales as you'll probably get some extras thrown in.

If you're going with Windows for general use (i.e. not gaming), I would suggest no less than 2GB RAM, 250GB hard drive and a duel core processor.
    Thanks CrazyLea

The reason that I''m put of fro, buying another laptop from pc world is there customer service. The last time her laptop needed fixed was a nightmare trying to arrnge pick up. I've been on the dell webbsite bu t they only have black ones at the moment. I was hoping to get one with a pink lid. I've another 5 weeks before her birthday so I'll keep trying.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Ive never thought about buying a laptop from amazon, I mean I trust the site but Ive never bought any electircals from them

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    . Ebuyer and Amazon are my top choices.

If you're going with Windows for general use (i.e. not gaming), I would suggest no less than 2GB RAM, 250GB hard drive and a duel core processor.
    Personally I recomend at least 4gb of Ram especially if you are doing photo editing and other memory hungry applications and certainly a good fat dual core at least.. Dell are a very good make with a fairly good after sales service. PC World/Currys/Dixons are all the one and unfortunately the level of service varys not only from store to store but from technician to technician

At the moment Im only looking at dell, but is it worth getting it through the dell webiste or the likes of pc world?

I have a Dell desktop that I got from Dixons and I haven't had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    At the moment Im only looking at dell, but is it worth getting it through the dell webiste or the likes of pc world?
    Go through the Dell website. They always have good offers on plus you can pick the upgrades you want as each machine is built to order

Thread Information