Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new laptop

Buying a new laptop

I really need to buy a new laptop, I probably wont buy one till october time but I want to start looking now
    I just need some help
    Anyone know of any offers or want to suggest a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    I really need to buy a new laptop, I probably wont buy one till october time but I want to start looking now
    I just need some help
    Anyone know of any offers or want to suggest a laptop?
    If you arent buying one until October its too early to start looking as the specifications change almost weekly. It really depends what you want to use it for. Obviously if you are using it for gaming you need a good seperate graphics card and sound card. You will also need at least 4gb of Ram and at least 250 gb hard drive is now the norm.

Obviously your pocket will dictate the final choice.

Actually I was going to start a thread about this. I was going to buy a new laptop for Marley for her birthday in September and was wondering where the best place to buy one was. The one she has got at the moment I got from pc world 3 years ago, it's a 1gb and I'm going to use it until I get enough dosh to buy my own laptop. My budget would probably be £400 to £500 tops.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

if you don't need a CD drive then Netbooks are the best option.. has all the ram and hD space without the price tag of a laptop
    Super Mod

The problem with a netbook is its lack of CD?DVD drive which restricts you if you want to install programmes or watch movies. Also the screen size is too small to be useful when working with something like spreadsheets or photographs.

IMHO they are really only useful for accessing the internet and reading your emails when out and about. With 400 quid to spend Im sure Kath can get a pretty decent spec machine.

The only reason why Im looking now, is cos Im sortig out my money as Ive just paid rent and booked a holiday plus I get my loan in october so want to have a look at some to see if I need to save up some money as well
    I would prefer to spend arounf £400, well I would prefer less but thats never going to happen
    I ideally need good memory really, this laptop Im using is just utter crap

I recently got a new netbook and I love it. Since I don't use it for spreadsheets or photo editing, the screen size is fine for me. I love the portability, and I use it as an ebook reader too.

Thanks guys & girls. I'm leaning more towards a laptop rather than a netbook, because I'm going to need software such as spreadsheets, word ect for Marley to do her homework. I'm just wondering were the best place is to shop. PC World, Currys, Dell or does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Dell is more expensive but they have great after purchase support.. PC world does Dell laptops so maybe they will offer same service.. I would personally go to PC world or Curry's simple as you can see the product.. with Dell (at least in Ireland) it is just phone/online shopping so you don't get to see what you get
    Super Mod

I would like a dell, I know loads of people that have a dell and they look good

Thread Information