Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vicky Entwistle is leaving the show after 14 years as Janice Battersby

CORRIE star Vicky Entwistle today reveals she's leaving the soap because she's sick of fans thinking she really IS gobby Janice Battersby.

The bubbly actress quit last month with mixed feelings after 14 years of playing the lairy knicker stitcher.

But while she'll miss her loudmouth character, she WON'T miss the trouble she's caused her.

In an exclusive interview with the News of the World, softly-spoken Vicky, 41, said: "I'm looking forward to getting away from her and not having fans shouting Janice at me all the time.

"I'm proud my character is so believable - it proves I've done my job - but people think we really are one and the same.

"They see me as a gobby argumentative woman, a full-on loudmouth who doesn't take any c**p. I'm not like her at all - some viewers think she is a scally. We both have northern accents and I once worked in a factory to pay off a student loan but that is it."

Yet Vicky has had just as much drama in her real life as she has playing Janice.

She reveals how she'd sneak off the set for LUNCHTIME TRYSTS with the Corrie props man who became the love of her life. How she DESPAIRS that they may never have children....

How she comforted her screen husband Bruce Jones as he battled ALCOHOLISM - and how she became so fanatical over losing weight that she dropped from a size 16 to a SIZE SIX in just three months.

It was Janice, however, who comically once got Vicky arrested... for headbutting a six-foot tall skinhead.

She says: "I'd been to a charity event in Manchester and this guy shouted 'Janice' at me in the street and ran at me.

"I thought he was going to pinch my handbag so I crouched down grabbing it to my chest. He threw himself on top of me from behind, wrapping his arms around me. I realised he was trying to give me a cuddle so I tried to stand up. But as I did my head bashed his nose.

Fans send beer for 'Janice' when I'm out. It's kind..but I drink wine

"I was mortified. His nose was bleeding. I took off my hoodie and gave it to him to mop up the blood. I apologised and was crying. He kept saying, 'I'm sorry'.

"I was so shaken I let him go off with my hoodie and I thought that was the end of it but then he went to the police. I was arrested. They took swabs from me. It was absolute hell. But I was quickly freed when the truth emerged."

Vicky describes it as the worst thing that happened to her because of playing Janice. But she laughs as she says: "I get builders shouting, 'Show us your t*ts Janice'. They'd get the shock of their lives if I did!

"And fans send over pints of beer for 'Janice' when I'm out. It's kind - but I drink white wine!" Janice arrived on the Street in 1996. Along with her lazy husband Les (Bruce) and daughters Toyah and Leanne (Jane Danson and Georgia Taylor) the Battersbys quickly earned a reputation as the family from hell.

Vicky has had many great moments on the Street - but she says the best thing to happen to her was props man Andy Chapman. They worked together for three years before falling in love in 2000.

She laughs: "I always caught him looking at me and thinking, 'Has my mascara run or something?' Then we did a scene where Les has won some money and Janice finds the cash in his coat. The scene went wrong and the money was on the floor.

"Andy and I picked it up and, as we were on our hands and knees, we suddenly looked at each other. There was this amazing spark. We've barely been apart since." Vicky's face lights up as she talks about the man she married in 2002. She giggles: "We've never had nookie at the studios but in the early days we had a flat around the corner from work.

"We nipped home at lunchtime for a bit of cheese on toast - but discovered we weren't that hungry when we got there!"

They are still clearly madly in love. Vicky says: "He doesn't judge me, he guides me. He is grounded and lovely. Everybody loves Andy, especially children."

But sadly the couple have been unable to have their own family. Vicky says: "We've only told our closest family and friends about that. We've spoken to doctors and we could have IVF. Maybe now I am leaving it will be the right time. I do see babies and think, 'What if?'. It saddens me to think I maybe won't leave anything here on this earth that is a part of me."

We could have IVF. This time next year I could be a mum, who knows?

Having a bump certainly wouldn't faze Vicky who has battled with her weight for years. She dropped from a size 16 to a SIX in just three months while making a fitness DVD four years ago. She got so thin Andy jokingly dubbed her 'lollipop head'. But the DVD was a bestseller - and made her a fortune.

Vicky says: "I was about 10 and a half stone and I lost more than three.

"I realised I'd gone too far when I got into the bath and thought I'd sat on a nail brush and realised it was my own spine. I was so thin it had banged against the bath."

She was approached to make the DVD after being snapped on holiday in Barbados. She said: "I knew I was a bit of a whale but when the pictures came out I looked huge.

"I was determined I wasn't going to be pictured like that again."

When she was asked to do the DVD she threw herself into her new healthy regime. "I got into the zone," she says. "I did it so much Andy would say, 'Are you doing it again?' I got accused of cheating, people said I didn't lose the weight through my fitness routine but I honestly did. I wasn't anorexic but Andy did call me 'lollipop head'.

"He said I was wasting away, there was nothing left to cuddle up to. So I decided to eat a few more pasties!"

It was Andy, 48, who urged Vicky to call it a day and leave Corrie so she could stretch herself as an actress and get away from being typecast.

She says: "He was right but it's a great job and a nice wage. Up until very recently I wasn't ready to say goodbye to that. I've known the day was coming for a couple of years so I've been saving up so we don't need to worry about money."

Vicky told producer Phil Collinson her decision last month but asked if she could stay for the 50th anniversary in December. Weatherfield will have a massive tram crash where characters are killed and injured.

Vicky says: "Phil was lovely and said he'd like me to return one day. But I still don't know if Janice will die in the tram.

"After telling him I felt elated, excited, I was moving on." She next confided in her best work pal Sally Dynevor who plays Sally Webster.

Sally, 47, confided in Vicky when she was diagnosed with breast cancer last year.

"We are so close. I remember her asking if she could have a word with me in her dressing room. When she told me I collapsed weeping. She was so positive but I couldn't stop crying. She is an inspiration."

Vicky's happiest days have been working with Bruce, Jane and Georgia. She laughs: "Bruce claims the Battersbys were cast around him but they were cast around ME, I was there first! He took method acting to the limit. He treated Georgia and Jane like real-life daughters."

But Bruce, now 57, struggled to cope with fame. He used booze to wind down and became an alcoholic. Vicky says: "I knew he had a couple of pints after work when we first started but didn't think it was a problem. It was very sad, he was my screen husband and I wanted him to be happy and healthy.

"When he went into The Priory I went to see him. I told him I loved him and that we were all there for him."

Vicky's final Corrie dream is to get the Battersbys back together again one last time. She says: "I would love that.

"But whatever happens I don't have one single regret.

"Janice has been wonderful - being part of Coronation Street has been fantastic and I have memories that will last me a life time.

"I will miss Janice every single day but a little part of her will stay with me forever."

Coronation Street star Vicky Entwistle has revealed that her co-star Sally Dynevor, who plays Sally Webster, inspired her to leave the ITV1 soap.

The actress, who starred in the show as Janice Battersby for 14 years, admitted that Dynevor's real-life battle with cancer pushed her to pursue new opportunities in life.

Speaking on This Morning, she said: "When she came back she was so positive and strong and I thought you only get one shot really. You have to feel, when you get to the end, that you've achieved things you're proud of.

"I've got so many goals and wasn't ever going to get to them unless I made that leap. She inspired me to go for what I wanted before it's too late.

"Phil [Collinson] did say to me he'd love me to keep coming back, dipping in and out and seeing Leanne and my factory friends, which is really sweet. But then, I might be in the tram, I don't know yet."

Coronation Street's Vicky Entwistle spoke candidly about her decision to quit the soap as she gave evidence in court yesterday.

The actress - who plays loudmouth Janice Battersby - took the stand as a defence witness as her husband Andrew Chapman faced a charge of assaulting one of her fans.

Entwistle and her partner had been travelling on a train home from Manchester earlier this year when Chapman attacked Michael McWhirter after he asked for a photograph of the star.

At the court hearing, Chapman claimed that McWhirter had a "menacing" manner and had left his wife feeling intimidated, while Entwistle said that the pressures of her high profile had sparked the incident.

According to The Sun, Entwistle told the court: "We have had lots of people, people who can become fixated for some reason. They become obsessed. We always could get away but in this situation there was nowhere to go.

"I'm more than aware that my character is quite controversial. In a way it's flattering that people believe it, but due to this I've had a lot of emotion. In the past 14 years I've become a dab hand at dealing with it.

"This particular incident I find to have been extraordinary. I've decided to resign from my job because I want some form of privacy and normality. I enjoy the work but the enormity of that programme is too big for me now. We live in a rural area and this programme is such a huge machine, I just feel swallowed by it."

Chapman was found guilty of assault at the hearing. Issuing a £1,250 fine and ordering Chapman to pay compensation to his victim, district judge Jonathan Finestein said: "You became far more protective of your wife than you needed to be and lost your temper."

Entwistle announced her decision to leave Coronation Street in August.

Details of Janice Battersby's exit from Coronation Street have been revealed.

Spoiler:
    The character, played by Vicky Entwistle, will disturb a burglar in her flat and be beaten up by the mystery intruder, according to the News of the World.

Lloyd Mullaney (Craig Charles) will become the main suspect in the crime and will be questioned by police. Janice will move out of Weatherfield after becoming terrified of living alone and having nowhere else to go.

A source said: "At least Janice isn't being killed off. She's a popular character and a return is always on the cards."

Entwistle announced in August that she would be leaving the ITV1 soap after 13 years.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-12-2010), tammyy2j (20-12-2010)

aww its quite sad shes goiing to be leaving in that way, Janice has never been a person who i have thought of as being scared

Maybe she is going to stay with Toya, I would like that

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas Angel View Post
    Maybe she is going to stay with Toya, I would like that
    Yes, and have a word with her about what she's doing to Holby A&E maybe...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (20-12-2010), Perdita (20-12-2010), tammyy2j (11-02-2011)

I always thought she was very close with Leanne but now that she is married maybe not

Why would Lloyd burglar and attach her ????????????

Coronation Street stars Vicky Entwistle and Katy Cavanagh were reportedly hurt during filming of a fight scene.

The pair - who play Janice Battersby and Julie Carp respectively - were shooting the dramatic scenes inside the Street's Underworld factory, The Mirror reports.

The scenes apparently show Janice pinning Julie to a wall and throwing a chair. However, filming was halted temporarily when Entwistle's finger was cut and Cavanagh ended up with a split lip.

"She sat there looking sorry for herself while Vicky soldiered on after being treated," a source told the paper. "It's an all-action plotline and will make for terrific TV.

"Things were calmed down eventually. But the scenes will have to be re-filmed and Katy's lip covered up to make it look normal again."

They added: "Bosses take health and safety issues seriously and this should never have happened. There was a fight co-ordinator watching the action."

The scenes - which will air next month - are said to form part of Entwistle's exit storyline from the ITV soap.

----------------

A spokesman for Coronation Street has played down an on-set accident involving Vicky Entwistle and Katy Cavanagh.

Earlier today, it was reported that Entwistle and Cavanagh were injured during the filming of a fight scene.

The incident occurred when Entwistle's character Janice Battersby had to throw a chair at Cavanagh's Julie Carp and pin her to a wall in the Underworld factory.

However, a representative for the soap told the Manchester Evening News that the actresses only sustained minor injuries and were able to continue filming shortly after.

He explained: "Vicky got a splinter in her hand and Katy hurt the inside of her mouth slightly. She had an ice pack briefly and both carried on filming."
    Last edited by alan45; 10-02-2011 at 04:07. Reason: Update

Janice Battersby will head off into the sunset with ex-housemate Trevor Dean in her Coronation Street exit storyline, reports have claimed.

According to the Daily Star, Janice's Weatherfield departure comes after binman Trevor (Steve Jackson) returns to the area and invites her to go travelling with him.

Trevor reportedly tells her: "I'm leaving for good, Janice, and I'm going to travel to everywhere. I've always wanted to and I'd like you to come with me if you fancy it."

It is thought that Janice - played by Vicky Entwistle - is thrilled to finally find love again and wastes little time before packing her bags, leaving the cobbles behind.

The romantic moment is expected to come at a perfect time for Janice as she has a fight with colleague Julie Carp (Katy Cavanagh) before losing her job at Underworld when Carla Connor (Alison King) overhears her encouraging the factory workers to go on strike.

Before leaving Weatherfield, Janice apparently tells stepdaughter Leanne: "You're the only thing I will miss."

Sources say that Janice's final scene - due to air next month - sees her leave with a bang when Trevor drenches everyone on the street by intentionally driving through a puddle as they make their departure.

Entwistle announced her decision to leave Coronation Street last August.

DS

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (11-02-2011)

Thread Information