Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holby City General News Thread

'Holby City' producer joins ITV Studios

ITV Studios has today further expanded its drama production unit by hiring Holby City series producer Myar Craig-Brown.

Reporting to ITV Studios creative director for drama Kate Bartlett, Craig-Brown will act as an executive producer developing a raft of new scripted programming for sale in the UK and overseas.

Craig-Brown joins ITV this month from the BBC, where she has been a member of the production team behind the BAFTA-winning drama Holby City for more than ten years, most recently as series producer.

"As we continue our strategy to grow our drama slate, it is vital that we secure the best talent in the industry," said Bartlett.

"Myar has an impressive amount of experience and skill across primetime drama content with wide audience appeal and I know she will be an invaluable addition to our great team."

Craig-Brown added: "I am delighted to be joining ITV Studios at such an important time - the long-term ambitions for drama production provide a fantastic opportunity and I look forward to working with the drama team to develop and create outstanding content."

The appointment of Craig-Brown follows the announcement that Francis Hopkinson, executive producer of DCI Banks and Wallander, is to join ITV Studios to set up a new drama unit to work alongside Bartlett's team.

Last month, ITV Studios also appointed Andrew Nicholson and Sally Evans to newly-created roles at its ITV Studios Factual (North) & Shiver division.
    Last edited by Perdita; 22-07-2011 at 14:40.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Holdyourbreathx (27-07-2011)

'Holby City' fan saves woman's life after watching CPR technique

A fan of BBC medical drama Holby City helped save a woman's life by using techniques learnt from watching the soap.

Steven Edwards, 44, noticed 82-year-old Kathleen Tate collapse in a nearby supermarket car park in Cambridge.

The kitchen-fitter was able to perform CPR on Kathleen, which kept her alive for 15 minutes before paramedics arrived at the scene.

Edwards explained that he has never had any medical training, and was only able to use CPR techniques after learning the skills from fictional characters in Holby City.

Holby City producers have since said that they were pleased to hear the drama was able to be used to save somebody's life, but warned others not to rely on the programme in future situations.

"Kathleen was basically dead," Edwards told Cambridge News. "'I have never done any training for life-saving. In the back of your mind it is an instinct to save someone.

''I guess I knew what to do from watching films and TV. I love Holby City - I must have watched hundreds of episodes. It is something that anyone else would do and I was so pleased to hear she was better.''

Edwards was aided by local man Danny Collen, who first called for help at the scene. He said: "I remember sitting in my car after having been to the pharmacy and watching as [Kathleen's daughter] Jenny found her mum in the car in trouble. I ran over and called for help while Steve started giving her CPR."

Collen and Edwards were reunited with Kathleen earlier this week. Kathleen's other daughter Kathy said: "These two men are the reason my mother is still alive and we are all so grateful."

Holby City producer Justin Young said: "While we would generally advise our viewers to leave saving lives to the professionals, we are proud and delighted if we were in any way the inspiration for Steve's heroic actions.

''All of us at Holby are pleased to hear Kathleen is making a full recovery and congratulate Steve on both his quick thinking and his excellent taste in television programmes.''

Holby City actress Tina Hobley has spoken out about contracting MRSA during a visit to hospital.

The actress, who plays Chrissie Williams on the BBC One serial drama, caught the bacterial infection in 2005 when she was receiving treatment for a broken arm.

Hobley told The Sun: "Contracting MRSA seven years ago was really awful. I have a nasty scar from it and it was just terrible.

"It's awful to think the whole thing could have been prevented if I had spoken up a bit and said, 'Please put gloves on before looking at my wounds. Please put a mask on before you breathe over my wound'."

Hobley, who did not name the hospital, continued: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing and of course I wished I had spoken out, but now I make sure I always take my own kit in.

"It's [about] being aware, and I have my own steriliser now and my own bits and pieces. I am obsessed with cleanliness."

Holby City airs on Tuesdays at 8pm on BBC One.

Holby City actress Tina Hobley has spoken out about contracting MRSA during a visit to hospital.

The actress, who plays Chrissie Williams on the BBC One serial drama, caught the bacterial infection in 2005 when she was receiving treatment for a broken arm.

Hobley told The Sun: "Contracting MRSA seven years ago was really awful. I have a nasty scar from it and it was just terrible.

"It's awful to think the whole thing could have been prevented if I had spoken up a bit and said, 'Please put gloves on before looking at my wounds. Please put a mask on before you breathe over my wound'."

Hobley, who did not name the hospital, continued: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing and of course I wished I had spoken out, but now I make sure I always take my own kit in.

"It's [about] being aware, and I have my own steriliser now and my own bits and pieces. I am obsessed with cleanliness."

Holby City airs on Tuesdays at 8pm on BBC One.

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Looking forward seeing more Holby on BBC1 even tho it was on during the Olympics it still didn't feel right,, Ok call me wierd LOL

A woman who sent Holby City star Rosie Marcel abusive messages for almost a year has been jailed.

Sarah Rumbelow, who suffers from ADHD and Asperger syndrome, was sentenced to two and a half years in jail, reports the Daily Mail.

The court heard how in 2011 the 21-year-old sent emails, tweets, SMS messages and letters to Marcel that threatened her with physical and sexual violence.

Earlier this year, Rumbelow was charged with harassing the 37-year-old and issued with a restraining order. Her sentence was subsequently adjourned so it could be assessed as to whether her mental health issues could be treated and a non-custodial sentence issued.

However, upon being granted bail and released from custody, Rumbelow immediately began sending more abusive messages to Marcel, including one to her sister saying: "Your sister is finished. Rosie will get hers soon. Watch this space."

The actress, who plays surgeon Jac Naylor in the BBC One show, was in court for the sentencing and told reporters: "It was a just sentence. Now I just want to get on with my life."

Holby City's Edward MacLiam has won the lead role in a new US TV pilot.

The Irish actor will star in ABC drama Big Thunder - based on Disney's roller coaster ride - according to Deadline.

MacLiam - best known for playing Greg Douglas on Holby between 2010 and 2012 - has been cast as Dr Grant Carson, a brilliant doctor in the 19th century who relocates to the frontier mining town of Big Thunder with his family.

In addition to his Holby role, MacLiam also recurred on EastEnders between 2007 and 2009 as Dr Jamie Stewart.

Also cast in the Big Thunder pilot are Twilight actor Alex Meraz, Primeval's Ruth Bradley and Resident Evil's Spencer Locke.

Locke will play Carson's teenage daughter Lizzie, while Meraz has been cast as a handsome tribesman and Bradley will star as a nanny named Nora.

Ice Age: Continental Drift scribe Jason Fuchs has penned the Big Thunder pilot, which will be exec produced by Melissa Rosenberg (Twilight).

Rosie Marcel has married her partner in a ceremony in Las Vegas.

The actress - famous for playing Jac Naylor in the hospital drama - married Ben Stacey in a wedding she described as 'crazy and silly'.

Speaking about the day to Hello! magazine, she said: "I have always wanted to go to Vegas, so getting married there is a dream come true.

"We wanted a crazy, silly wedding with a bit of showbiz that's all about having fun."

Marcel also revealed that she thanked her new husband in a wedding speech for restoring her confidence after her terrifying stalker ordeal.

Marcel and Stacey apparently met following her legal battle over the stalker case which led her to consider suicide.

A woman was found guilty of sending Marcel abusive messages for over a year and is currently serving a prison sentence.

Holby City star Niamh McGrady has revealed that she is delighted to be a regular member of the cast.

McGrady has played Mary-Claire in the show since 2009 but has only started being credited as a regular character this year.

McGrady said to Inside Soap: "I've done so many jobs between roles. I've been a cleaner, a waitress and I've worked in bars.

"Even when I was a semi-regular in Holby, I worked in a bar. People used to say to me, 'You're in Holby. What are you doing working in a bar?

"I'm so happy to be a regular on the show - it's the best place to be in the world."

McGrady's character Mary-Claire currently has feelings for doctor Harry Tressler, unaware that he has kissed her friend Gemma Wilde.

McGrady said: "She's very keen on him. Ultimately, she wants more than a fling.

"To be honest, Mary-Claire is oblivious to the spark between Gemma and Harry. She gets on very well with Gemma. But if she knew that she'd kissed Harry, she'd have something to say.

"There is a lot of game-playing going on and it will be interesting to see how it develops."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (10-07-2013)

Holby City star Luke Roberts has been cast on new US drama Reign.

The CW TV series stars Adelaide Kane (Neighbours) as a young Mary, Queen of Scots.

Luke Roberts
    © PA Images / Matt Crossick/PA Archive

Roberts - best known for playing Joseph Byrne on Holby between 2005 and 2011 - has been cast as Simon Westbrook, a charming but sinister English diplomat determined to destroy Mary, says Entertainment Weekly.

Prior to his casting on Reign, Roberts appeared on The CW's Beauty and the Beast for a two-episode stint.

Torrance Coombs as Bash, Alan Van Sprang as King Henry II, Rossif Sutherland as Nostradamus, Anna Walton as Diane and Megan Follows as Catherine de' Medici in 'Reign'

© The CW / Joss Barratt
    The cast of 'Reign'

Joining him on his new show is Canadian actress Katie Boland, playing a feral, disfigured young woman whose past remains a mystery.

Reign will debut on October 10 in the US, following the season five premiere of The Vampire Diaries.

Thread Information