Danny Miller has admitted that there were initial fears Emmerdale's older audience would not "accept" Aaron Livesy's gay storyline.

However, speaking at a preview for next week's train crash, he revealed that Aaron's coming out and relationship with Jackson Walsh (Mark Silcock) had been well received by all of the ITV soap's demographic.

"What we were worried about was the fact that the older generation of viewers might not accept the storyline for what it is and might not understand it for what we are trying to show," he said.

He continued: "But it's been amazing, I've had people of all ages come up to me and say that they've really enjoyed the storyline - teenagers to the older 60 and 70-year-olds.

"It's fantastic to be able to know that they are watching it and actually be able to tell you stuff about the storyline."

Miller also discussed the feedback that he has personally received from fans of the plot, but confessed that he doesn't feel qualified enough to act as an 'Agony Aunt' to viewers seeking advice.

"I've had letters from people saying thank you and [how the plot] has helped them come out," he said. "I've also had letters from people asking advice and I'd probably take this time to say that I can't help them because I'm not an Agony Aunt and I don't know."

He continued: "I don't want to say, 'Do it this way', and then they go and do it and they end up doing it wrong with horrific consequences. So I can't give them advice, but it's nice to hear positive feedback from people."

He added that he ignores a small minority of negative comments aimed at Aaron's sexuality.

"99 out of 100 has been positive," he said. "I mean, unfortunately, we do have the negative stuff but it's stuff that is more ignored to be honest."