Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherlock (BBC)

Sherlock (BBC)

Sherlock Holmes returns in three new BBC One dramas, starting at the end of the month and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

Set in modern times,Watson, a doctor, soldier and war hero, is fresh from military service in Afghanistan. A chance encounter brings him into the world of Sherlock Holmes, a loner, detective and genius. The two men could not be more different, but Sherlock's inspired leaps of intellect, coupled with John's pragmatism, soon forge an unbreakable alliance.

Sherlock Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch, John Watson by Martin Freeman, Mrs Hudson by Una Stubbs, Inspector Lestrade by Rupert Graves, Molly Hooper by Louise Brealey and Sargeant Sally Donovan by Vinette Robinson.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-07-2010), lizann (20-07-2010)

BBC PicturesWriters Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have revealed that new BBC drama Sherlock will not focus heavily on the great detective's drug abuse.

Speaking to Last Broadcast, the pair explained that the use of drugs was not as prominent a theme in Conan Doyle's original stories as some viewers might think.

"Many people point out the drug use in Sherlock Holmes, but there are more references to Sherlock Holmes laughing than there are to taking cocaine or morphine but, oddly enough, people never think about that," argued Gatiss.

He added: "I understand why, but the important thing is to not get it out of context with the rest of the character."

Doctor Who showrunner Moffat explained that he and Gatiss had considered Holmes's drug habit when adapting the character for the modern age.

"I think you'd have to ask the question, would a man like Sherlock Holmes be a coke addict today?" he said. "In Victorian times everybody was taking some kind of drug, largely because there was no such thing as a painkiller. It is a very different thing to say that Sherlock Holmes is a coke addict now."

Moffat wrote the first episode of the series, titled 'A Study In Pink', while Gatiss penned following instalment 'The Blind Banker'.

Sherlock - starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the famous detective - is due to air on Sunday, July 25 at 9pm on BBC One.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (20-07-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Sherlock Holmes returns in three new BBC One dramas, starting at the end of the month and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
    I like both these actors, so hopefully this should be good.

Sunday 1 August
    9.00-10.30pm BBC ONE and BBC HD

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman embark on their second thrilling, scary, action-packed and hugely entertaining adventure as Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson.

Watson's new life is never dull – after all, he's sharing a flat with Sherlock Holmes. But solving mysteries won't pay the bills. The trouble is, though, that Sherlock's idea of a visit to the bank is not quite what Watson had in mind.

Mysterious ciphers are appearing on walls all over London and anyone who sees them is dead within hours, from the glittering financial hub of the city to the heart of a travelling Chinese circus. Sherlock and Watson must decipher the deadly symbols before anyone else falls victim to the mysterious Black Lotus.

Sherlock Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch and John Watson by Martin Freeman, Mrs Hudson by Una Stubbs, Molly Hooper by Louise Brealey, DI Dimmock by Paul Chequer, Sarah by Zoe Telford, Soo Lin Yao by Gemma Chan, the opera singer by Sarah Lam and Amanda by Olivia Poulet.

Sherlock is simulcast on the BBC HD channel – the BBC's High Definition channel, available through Freesat 108, Freeview 50, Sky 143 and Virgin 108.
    Last edited by Perdita; 19-07-2010 at 20:56.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-07-2010), lizann (20-07-2010)

These should be good

Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch has said that the series includes "lots of action".

The 34-year-old, who stars as Sherlock Holmes, revealed the detective's involvement in modern-day gunfights and Kung-Fu in an interview with What's On TV.

"There's lots of action. We have chase scenes, we have gunfights, I have Kung-Fu sequences, and Martin [Freeman] and I have quite a few jumps and stunts," he said.

"I have a fight with a Chinese warlord, I shoot at a human giant who strangles people with his bare hands, and I run after a taxicab, without giving too much away!"

Sherlock starts this Sunday at 9pm on BBC One.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (22-07-2010)

The Radio Times gives the new Sherlock Holmes a rave review, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Sherlock is on the verge of being renewed for a second series by the BBC, the corporation confirmed today.

Written by Doctor Who's Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, the first episode of the modern-day adaptation premiered with a huge audience of 7.5 million, and was well-received by critics.

"We'd like to do more. But if we do, they won't air for at least a year. Drama takes at least a year to get made and Steven is also really busy with Doctor Who," head of drama Ben Stephenson said in a statement.

Sherlock, which stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, continues this Sunday, with 'The Blind Banker' - the second of three episodes - airing at the slightly earlier time of 8.30pm.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-07-2010)

I hope they do more - I really enjoyed the first episode.

So do I, I loved it.

Thread Information