Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The silence

it was brilliant, i havent seen a drama as good as that since father and son.

Just finished watching the first episode. Is it made by the same people who did the five part drama about the woman who stabbed her husband last year?

I enjoyed it, will certainly be watching the rest.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    it was brilliant, i havent seen a drama as good as that since father and son.
    Eek no, i recorded all of that but only watched the 1st episode and 1/2 of the second, boring.
    Am about to watch the second episode of this now, hoping it is just as good as yesterdays episode.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessie Wallace For This Useful Post:

alan45 (13-07-2010)

Yet another BRILLIANT episode tonight. Much better than ITVs offering of The Soap formerly known as The Bill

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    [QUOTE=Perdita;722096]DEAF actress Genevieve Barr had to lip-read through all her scenes in BBC1 thriller The Silence - because her hearing aid didn't fit in with her costumes.
    Genevieve, who plays deaf teen Amelia in the show, told ITV's This Morning: "It was tricky."

But the actress, who was born deaf, said that lip-reading was "something I've always had to do".

as a deaf person myself, i must say one thing,, lipreading is not the best mode of communication, even the best lipreader in the world can only read 45% the rest is pure guess work..I have been lipreading since I was 7 years old I am now 60, I found it is still the case,since moving to Holland, trying to by pass the heavily Dutch accented English is a big head ache,,took me 2 months to stop writing notes back and forth with my Dutch partner LOL
    The implant she has is something I once considered, but after loads of research, I figured,, its not a cure,, its a bandaid job,,this is just my opinion :-)

I'm thinking about rewatching the first episode cause I didn't get to watch it all so I'll do it when the final episode has been aired and watch them all at once It does look really good, not my type of thing, but from the bits i saw on Monday It was good

Thank you for the amazing banner Lea
    Joe Mcelderry is gorgeous and amazing

[QUOTE=JustJodi;722259]
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    DEAF actress Genevieve Barr had to lip-read through all her scenes in BBC1 thriller The Silence - because her hearing aid didn't fit in with her costumes.
    Genevieve, who plays deaf teen Amelia in the show, told ITV's This Morning: "It was tricky."

But the actress, who was born deaf, said that lip-reading was "something I've always had to do".

as a deaf person myself, i must say one thing,, lipreading is not the best mode of communication, even the best lipreader in the world can only read 45% the rest is pure guess work..I have been lipreading since I was 7 years old I am now 60, I found it is still the case,since moving to Holland, trying to by pass the heavily Dutch accented English is a big head ache,,took me 2 months to stop writing notes back and forth with my Dutch partner LOL
    The implant she has is something I once considered, but after loads of research, I figured,, its not a cure,, its a bandaid job,,this is just my opinion :-)
    I was disappointed that the iplayer didn't have subtitles for the first episode. I don't have any hearing difficulties but I do have problems understanding some accents, especially if people talk fast, so I like to have subtitles or AD. For a program that is about a deaf girl, which would appeal to other deaf and hard of hearing people, there should have been subtitles. I presume there would have been subtitles when the program was shown on tv so it can't be that hard to upload the subtitled version.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I haven't watched any of this yet...decided to save it to watch at the weekend. I'm looking forward to it from all the comments here.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I was disappointed that the iplayer didn't have subtitles for the first episode.
    It's a real shame that the iPlayer doesn't do subtitles. I often use them myself when watching TV as I suffered some hearing loss after working at clubs when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    It's a real shame that the iPlayer doesn't do subtitles. I often use them myself when watching TV as I suffered some hearing loss after working at clubs when I was young.
    Iplayer does have a lot of subtitled programs. I've watched Eastenders and Casualty subtitled many times, along with documentaries.
    Thanks CrazyLea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-07-2010)

I've been watching this too. It's been fantastic - the actress that plays Amelia has delivered an excellent portrayal. I can't wait for tonight's conclusion!

Thread Information