Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ITV's new-look breakfast show Daybreak

ITV1's new breakfast show 'Daybreak' has lost 20% of its viewers in just one week, dropping from 1 million to 800,000.

Its current ratings are raising doubts as to whether the show can bring more viewers to the channel than its predecessor 'GMTV', which came to an end on 3 September.

'Daybreak' sparked criticism before it even started, as ITV bosses decided to spend huge amounts of money to revamp their breakfast show, invest in a new studio and bring in former 'One Show' stars Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley to front the programme for an alleged cost of £10m.

A show insider told The Mirror: "No matter which way you look at it it's hugely embarrassing. ITV bosses have thrown everything at this to make it work - money, time and big-name stars but viewers are switching off, or worse, switching over.

"No one expected we'd be able to maintain a million viewers from the word go but to be lower than ‘GMTV’ already is disheartening to say the least."

Many 'GMTV' viewers – including some Yahoo! users – have also criticised 'Daybreak'.

Meanwhile 'BBC Breakfast' is still going strong, with 1.4m people tuning in to BBC One last Monday.

Lorraine Kelly is reportedly being considered for an "enhanced role" on ITV morning show Daybreak.

According to the Sunday Mirror, the presenter could anchor a revamped show next year after research suggested she was more popular than main hosts Christine Bleakley and Adrian Chiles.

A source said: "Lorraine was the only one of the main presenters scoring well on audience research. So she is likely to get an enhanced role, or even become one of the main presenters."

ITV bosses are said to be "tearing their hair out" after ratings for the GMTV replacement fell to 721,000 on Wednesday.

The source added: "The whole point of Adrian and Christine's partnership was viewers could speculate whether they were having a relationship in real life, but now they know nothing is going on."

Bleakley and Chiles both moved to ITV earlier this year on multi-million pound contracts. Kelly currently presents Lorraine every weekday morning following Daybreak.

Having watched a couple of episodes, I think the new show is appalling, bring back GMTV, way better than the current tosh imo. Even Lorraile is not going to save them

GLAMOUR girl Christine Bleakley faces the axe from ITV1’s crisis-hit Daybreak in a New Year shake-up.

Insiders at the breakfast show say the WAG, who has a £4million contract, has just weeks to save her job.

Monday’s audience was just 700,000 – 20,000 fewer than last week’s and nearly half that of main rival BBC Breakfast.

Part of the problem is believed to be Christine’s relationship with England and Chelsea football star Frank Lampard, 32.

Insiders say Christine, 30, is driving away viewers who can no longer relate to her now she has shed her girl-next-door image.

Viewers find Christine and co-host Adrian Chiles, 43 – so popular on BBC 1’s early evening One Show – a morning turn-off. Sources say one of them will be axed unless viewing figures enjoy a big boost soon.

GMTV veteran Lorraine Kelly, 50, whose slot after Daybreak has strong ratings, could make a sensational return – casting a shadow over Christine’s future.

A source said: “Part of Christine and Adrian’s appeal was their on-screen chemistry and mild flirt-ations, but that’s gone now that Christine’s dating Frank.

“Pairing Adrian with Lorraine would be a last throw of the dice, but it might work.”

Daily Star

Sorry but I don't think Adrian's any better than Christine! This show is terrible.

I must be the only person who actually likes the show. I don't want anything heavy in the morning before work so it suits me fine. The fact a presenter is dating a premiership football player is of no consequence, I don't aspire to be like her no more than I aspired to be like Fiona Phillips when she presented it. That has no relevance to me whatsoever.

It could be a Bleakley Christmas for TV presenter Christine after reports her Daybreak morning show will be axed in just four weeks.

Sources in Dublin have reported that the Newtownards woman and her co-host Adrian Chiles have received official notice that the show is to be wound up.

Ratings have plummeted since the new show replaced GMTV in September.

Viewing figures for the show recently fell to around 600,000.

Its rival, BBC Breakfast, pulls in around 1.5m viewers every morning.

The new show was launched in September.

The two presenters made multi-million pound deals with ITV after falling out with BBC bosses and quitting The One Show.

News of the axe came after sources close to Galway-born Daybreak features presenter Grainne Seoige claimed her agent Noel Kelly was already in talks with ITV to try and salvage her UK TV career.

Celebrity agent Max Clifford has said he was not surprised by the news that Seoige is looking around for other opportunities.

“If I was her agent I would be getting her out there on other shows. Daybreak was a small step in the right direction,” he said.

“The problem is that it hasn't been a successful launch. Her agents have got to be looking at other things. She hasn't made her mark but then again she hasn't had the chance to.”

However, Mr Clifford believes ITV should give audiences longer to warm to Daybreak.

“I understood they had six months. I wouldn't believe four weeks but if they are making that decision then I'd say it's much too soon,” he said.

ITV bosses spent around £1m in rebranding and revamping the show with new sets and a big marketing push.

An ITV spokesman dismissed speculation that Daybreak was going to be axed.

“ITV made a long-term investment in new breakfast programming and, after over five years of decline for GMTV, Daybreak is already closing the gap in year-on-year decline after just one month, with housewives and children and younger audiences,” he said.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...#ixzz13S47N0nU

They had a feature on it this morning about a woman who has had her fridge for 58 years, really is that the best she could do? Oh does anyone know if she took the new one they offered her? I had to go to work before I found out!

Christine Bleakley has stated that she was personally hurt by the criticism levelled at Daybreak.

The 31-year-old reiterated her belief that the ITV breakfast show had begun to improve, and confessed to taking initial criticism of the format to heart.

She argued to Buzz magazine: "People say they have a thick skin but we're all human. You do get upset.

"There are things that don't work, and we'll change them. We have the most magnificent view, but at 6am it's pitch black. We're learning as we go. We have to earn our right to be the choice in the mornings.

"Onwards and upwards. The last week has been great and I'm excited about the future."

Former GMTV regulars Lorraine Kelly and Fiona Phillips are amongst those to have spoken out against the replacement show, which has risen to almost 840,000 viewers in the last week.

DAYBREAK'S Adrian Chiles last night admitted its first episode was "a crock of ********".
    The grumpy star, who defected from the BBC's One Show this year with co-host Christine Bleakley, said they had expected the ITV breakfast programme to be a "storming, immediate, runaway success".
    More than a million viewers tuned in for its September 6 launch - but by the end of October the figure had halved. Brummie Chiles, 43 - still hopeful for the show's future - said: "Normally I'm pessimistic about absolutely everything.
    "But, God forgive me my arrogance, I tried being positive about this. I was absolutely sure. And I was absolutely ********** wrong."
    Bleakley, 31 - dating Chelsea ace Frank Lampard - said of the first show: "We got through it, put it that way. We thought it was OK."
    Chiles added: "And then we woke in the morning and found out it was actually one of the biggest crocks of ******** anyone had seen in years."
    But he said: "I think it can work. Lately we've had a laugh - it's more like the old days.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz16ThZihBK

Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley may be sidelined from their Daybreak presenting role in the New Year or even axed outright, a show source has suggested.

Bosses on the troubled ITV breakfast programme are said to be "seriously considering" replacing the former One Show pair with stand-in hosts Dan Lobb and Kate Garraway on a more regular basis from January.

An insider told The Sun'sBuzz magazine: "Ratings go up every time they pair up, and the feedback from viewers has, not surprisingly, been that Dan has much more sex appeal than Adrian."

However, when questioned about an increased role on the show, Lobb stated: "It’s flattering that people like seeing us on the sofa, but I enjoy working as part of a team."

Chiles recently confessed that he had wrongly assumed that his reunion with Bleakley would be an "immediate runaway success".

Thread Information