Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Hollyoaks' to tackle Gender Dysphoria

'Hollyoaks' to tackle Gender Dysphoria

Hollyoaks producers are to tackle of one of only remaining taboos in soapland as a new member of the Costello clan will suffer from Gender Identity Disorder (GID).

Soaps newcomer Victoria Atkin, 23, will take on the role of Jasmine Costello, who arrives in the village having spent the summer at a camp in America. While Heidi's (Kim Tiddy) delighted to have her daughter back home, it quickly transpires that she is hiding a huge secret.

Soon after returning to the family fold, Jasmine's clandestine double life is revealed when her male alter ego Jason emerges as a prominent and overbearing part of her world.

GID - or Gender Dysphoria as it is also known - is when a person is born as one sex but has a desperate desire to be the other, dressing up and acting like the opposite sex in the hope that it will become reality.

Jasmine's journey will highlight the mental trauma, physical disgust and ongoing frustration of a boy trapped in a girl's body, as well as the effects that her condition has on those around her.

Jasmine and Jason Costello from Hollyoaks

Left: Victoria as Jasmine - Right: Victoria as Jason

Series producer Paul Marquess said of the storyline: "I am proud that Hollyoaks is able to tackle the issue of GID and the effect the condition has on the families."

He continued: "Around one in 4,000 people in Britain are receiving medical help for Gender Dysphoria and if we can bring the issue to the forefront to help more young people identify and talk about the condition, then I believe that can only be a positive thing."

Commissioning editor for Channel 4 drama Roberto Troni added: "Hollyoaks has a track record for tackling challenging issues in a sensitive and intelligent way. The upcoming GID storyline should not only help raise awareness about the subject, but ask important questions about identity, sexuality and gender that teenagers face."

He added: "It will make for thought-provoking drama that will have a broad relevance to the Hollyoaks audience."

Atkin is currently filming at the soap's home in Liverpool and will make her screen debut at the beginning of August.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Perdita; 01-07-2010 at 11:39.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

angel_eyes87 (01-07-2010), lizann (01-07-2010), tammyy2j (02-07-2010)

Let me guess she will have relationships with males and females taking over from Kris

Sounds like an interesting story.
    Could this storyline save the show though?

The show needs a good storyline it has been pretty crap with a while

I might start watching again if it gets interesting.

i htink its quite a good idea, its a bit different to the usual stuff thats churnned out over and over just with different characters.

I dont think shell take over from Kris as shes only going to be 15 i read.

Hollyoaks star Victoria Atkin has teased the latest romance twists in store for her character Jason Costello, who will soon face a fresh rejection from Bart McQueen.

Bart (Jonny Clarke) previously had a relationship with Jason when he first arrived in the village as Jasmine, but their union came to an end when the troubled teenager started to live life as a boy.

Atkin told All About Soap that the pair's relationship will soon be revisited when Bart discovers that Jason is out on a date and starts spying on him.

When Jason hears that Bart has been keeping tabs on him, he confronts the rebellious McQueen at the shack in the woods, with surprising consequences.

Atkin said: "Bart denies [spying], of course, but Jason isn't having any of it and they start having an argument. That leads into a bit of a fight, but there's so much chemistry between them that they almost end up snogging."

"Bart pulls away at the last minute," she continued. "There's so much going on in Bart's head at that moment - he must be so confused. He loves Jasmine, but she isn't really there anymore and he's also worried about what other people would say if he started dating Jason, just like any other 16-year-old boy would be."

The actress added that the experience is a fresh setback for Jason, who has never been able to let go of his feelings for Bart.

"He's completely gutted, especially when he knows that there's something between them," Atkin said. "To make matters worse, he also later finds out that after their near-kiss, Bart went straight to Sinead's house and slept with her. It was probably to prove he's straight, but it hurts Jason nonetheless."

The scenes air on Channel 4 next month.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (26-05-2011)

I like Jason and Bart as a couple

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I like Jason and Bart as a couple
    i think they have chemistry.

Hollyoaks star Victoria Atkin has revealed that her character Jason Costello confesses his love for Bart McQueen in a forthcoming storyline.

Later this month, Jason meets up with the rebellious teen after Bart makes contact with him, desperate for help as life on the run with girlfriend Sinead O'Connor (Stephanie Davis) has become too difficult.

However, as Jason and Bart's (Jonny Clarke) old bond starts to return, a jealous Sinead storms off - leaving the pair to face a dangerous situation alone.

"It all kicks off when they're in a farmhouse and Jason's excited at the thought of exploring the place," Atkin told All About Soap. "Unfortunately, that turns into trespassing and the owner of the farm captures them at gunpoint."

She continued: "The farmer storms in and questions whether Jason is a boy or a girl, which is really horrible. Bart tries to push past the man and gets thrown to the floor, where he cuts his head.

"They're stuck there with this furious, gun-toting farmer and Bart's bleeding. Jason ends up confessing his true feelings for his friend because he doesn't know if Bart's going to survive or not."

Jason was previously rejected by Bart in May, shortly after the wayward McQueen had almost kissed him.

The pair had a relationship last year when Jason first arrived in the village as Jasmine, but their union came to an end when the troubled teenager started to live life as a boy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (04-08-2011)

Thread Information