Thread: School Reunions

School Reunions

What do you think of School reunions? I've been invited to one and don't know whether to go. Didn't enjoy my school days at all. I got picked on by some people which no doubt made them worse, but maybe they've changed and grown up? Or maybe those people won't even turn up?

I think you should consider what is worse... you never meeting up with people you like and finding out whether those who picked on you have grown up and changed or you could have a great time, and you are now older and wiser not to be bothered by people that have not changed since your school days. I personally would go, hold your head up high and don't let those who picked on you win by not going Have a good time if you go xxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (28-06-2010)

Ruffed, I would be like you.. I was picked on in School and to be honest would not be interested in see anyone from school again.. the ones I got on with, I still have contact with them so it wouldn't bother me whether I met the rest of them or not... Personally I wouldn't care if the people who I didn't like thought they won or not.. if they still think that way then they haven't moved on and not worth seen.. would be nice to see some teachers again but thats about it for me
    Super Mod

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (01-07-2010), Ruffed_lemur (29-06-2010)

Thanks for your opinions. I can see both points really. I have lost touch with people from the old days, so going could be good. Although I didn't have much to do with the ones who have confirmed so far, but could change later on. Part of me thinks I should leave the past in the past though. I wouldn't look at it as the bullies winning if I didn't go, just choice really.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

Perdita (29-06-2010), Siobhan (29-06-2010)

You can always change your mind either way closer to the date or even half way through the event. If you don't like it, you can leave early and just say you've got an early start or don't feel well.

I think you're right not to look at it as the bullies winning. Hopefully they will have moved on with their lives and won't stoop to that level again on the reunion night. I doubt anyone will say "Ruffed Lemur didn't come because she was worried about bumping into me." If they have any qualities about themselves they should be ashamed of their behaviour.

Is there any way of getting in contact with the people you want to see again? Perhaps you could do this outside of the reunion so that you don't need to attend the 'do and avoid possible confrontation with bullies.

One thing that's always confuddled me about reunions is, how does everybody know who they're talking to? After 25 years or so I imagine most people will have changed, put on weight etc. and memories fade. With the advent of Facebook, I guess its easier to find old friends, or for us teenagers, keep in touch after leaving school, but not everybody who is from the older generation will be on Facebook.
    Thanks CrazyLea

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (30-06-2010), Siobhan (30-06-2010)

Thanks. Will decide nearer the date, I often go on and off ideas. Just wondered what others opinions were on reunions. May see if I can get in touch with some people, just seems a bit strange after a long time! Maybe that's why these reunions are organised, makes it easier in some ways. I know what you mean about people's looks changing a lot too.

If it was me I would give it a miss. My school days weren't great, my school had a reunion in November to mark 50 years and the opening of a new school, but I didn't go. Look forward not back that's what I say.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (01-07-2010), Siobhan (17-07-2010)

I think i would be nervous to go to one but I think I would still like to go to one, just to see how everyone turned out. To be fair though because of facebook Ive already seen a huge change in people, in the past 5 years

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbie For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (06-07-2010)

Thread Information